A good Championship budget?

8 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

After this season I think a lot of EFL fans will seriously re consider buying a season ticket with this new TV deal as it impacts the match day timing massively with all the game day/time changes especially those that work shifts and traveling longer distances to home games. If this impacts the way I think it will clubs will be in for a negative financial shock.

This gets said every season, some said our numbers would drop when we went into league one, they didn’t, then they said if we didn’t get promoted in the first season our numbers would drop, they went up. The Sky deal was known about long before season tickets went on sale, our numbers are about the same as last season.

Some might decide it isn’t for them next season, some others might decide live football is something that they would want to get into.

37 minutes ago, TINMANTED said:

I think when the club announced we had a competitive budget they had done the sums according to trading at that time.months down the line the market has gone bonkers due to the finance rules,and it would appear we have been caught out, and our budget has a shortfall 

How much was our budget and what is the shortfall and when did it appear.

1 hour ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

I agree with the sentiment, my question is does the increased money from Sky offset the potential dip in attendances down the pyramid? Are Sky are putting enough money on the table for clubs to take that hit? If the money Sky pump in outweighs the money the gates bring in I suspect clubs wont be too bothered.

Yet the clubs start to lose its sole to the supporters ( probably smaller clubs maybe)

1 hour ago, Foreveram said:

This gets said every season, some said our numbers would drop when we went into league one, they didn’t, then they said if we didn’t get promoted in the first season our numbers would drop, they went up. The Sky deal was known about long before season tickets went on sale, our numbers are about the same as last season.

Some might decide it isn’t for them next season, some others might decide live football is something that they would want to get into.

The mass changes to match times was not advertised when season tickets went on sale throughout the EFL and my point was that attending becomes too difficult to justify the cost of a season ticket 

2 hours ago, Sparkle said:

The mass changes to match times was not advertised when season tickets went on sale throughout the EFL and my point was that attending becomes too difficult to justify the cost of a season ticket 

They said they weren’t televising 3 o’clock kickoffs so obviously with the amount of games they said were to be broadcast kickoff times would be altered.

15 minutes ago, Foreveram said:

They said they weren’t televising 3 o’clock kickoffs so obviously with the amount of games they said were to be broadcast kickoff times would be altered.

A lot of people who work shifts go to football matches and usually have to make arrangements to shave some time away from work just to manage the normal match times. A lot of parents take their children to play in leagues in a morning before all going matches at 3pm but 12-30 kick offs kill that off whilst those who travel long distances are less likely to bother if they have to set off at the crack of dawn or returning home at 2 in the morning 

4 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

A lot of people who work shifts go to football matches and usually have to make arrangements to shave some time away from work just to manage the normal match times. A lot of parents take their children to play in leagues in a morning before all going matches at 3pm but 12-30 kick offs kill that off whilst those who travel long distances are less likely to bother if they have to set off at the crack of dawn or returning home at 2 in the morning 

I realise that, working full time and having 4 kids and living 20 miles from the ground, trust me I’ve been there and done that.

Like I said some people will decide it’s not for them, but others might decide a 12.30 kickoff works better for them, getting home before it’s dark in the winter etc.

The early kick offs are a nightmare for me as I have a 2 1/2 hour drive each way and leaving at 8:30 after working shifts all week is less appealing. The later kick offs are good for me so it's swings and roundabouts.

5 hours ago, IlsonDerby said:

He could quite easily have said “We are aware of the significant increase in quality needed for success in the championship but we are not going there to make up the numbers. We expect to be able to put together a squad by the end of the window that can be competitive in every single fixture” 

It gives the reassurances that I think he believes he’s giving us when he talks about competitive budgets without building up the expectation of what we will or won’t spend. 

This is not a criticism of our budget this is a criticism of talking openly about it being competitive because many on Twitter aren’t able to use nuance to see that the quality in this division is through the roof compared to the year we went down. 

I wouldn't have even said that. 

Our recruitment team will be working to bring in the transfer targets identified by Paul Warne would have been more than sufficient. 

I do agree that Clowes has missed a trick in trapping out the same line this time round around again and throwing in how excited he is about it as an extra measure. 

I think any owner/manager is in the same position - he has to sell optimism (season tickets!) to the fans whilst also dealing with reality.  I think we probably do have a 'competitive budget' and are 'not here to make up the numbers' but we have also been warned that we are looking at stability first (which in my mind at least means just being in the Championship again next season)

Furthermore a competitive budget for us will be split between 12 players that PW said he needed.  A similar competitive budget for say a Preston or a Middlesboro might only mean bringing in 3 or 4 players as they already have Championship quality squads.  Paying an Ebou or Zetterstrom fee for 12 players this season was never going to happen, for me its about building a squad capable of avoiding relegation this season with loans of older freebies - and phasing them out over the coming seasons, spending our bigger fees on younger players.

I have read some quite frankly wildly absurd comments on this forum about our goals for this season, even turning on the manager and some players during the first match thread.  We as fans have to realise we aren't the Derby of old throwing money at the problem and buying a top six finish.  Its gonna be slow and steady progress.  We'll hopefully build a squad capable of staying up relatively comfortably this season, then kick on from there. 

2 hours ago, Foreveram said:

Well a lot of people didn’t anticipate the true scale of changes

i know a young lady that can’t finish her shift until 12 noon on a Saturday 

she bought her season ticket in good faith but going to miss how many games in this first declared raft of games?!

im for a level playing field on income

kill all tv rights deals

let clubs raise cash on live attendance linked endeavours and pay over paid footballers appropriately 

I hate the hold over ‘our football’ that the big tv companies has

money in football is the root of all things evil

i want my 3o clock football back 

im a live football fan and will shun tv football unless it’s free to air tv like England games or ramstv when i physically can’t get 😊

21 minutes ago, DE56Ram said:

Well a lot of people didn’t anticipate the true scale of changes

i know a young lady that can’t finish her shift until 12 noon on a Saturday 

she bought her season ticket in good faith but going to miss how many games in this first declared raft of games?!

im for a level playing field on income

kill all tv rights deals

let clubs raise cash on live attendance linked endeavours and pay over paid footballers appropriately 

I hate the hold over ‘our football’ that the big tv companies has

money in football is the root of all things evil

i want my 3o clock football back 

im a live football fan and will shun tv football unless it’s free to air tv like England games or ramstv when i physically can’t get 😊

Only two of the home games in the first half of the season have been changed to 12.30.

Only 13 of 23 home games last season were Saturday 3 o’clock kickoffs.

I sat in the car listening to radio Derby before the game last night . Darren Robinson gave a very good insight into how the spending works at DCFC . There are a lot of people involved and heads could roll if it doesn’t work out . 

1 minute ago, jimtastic56 said:

I sat in the car listening to radio Derby before the game last night . Darren Robinson gave a very good insight into how the spending works at DCFC . There are a lot of people involved and heads could roll if it doesn’t work out . 

Could any of these people play number 9? We have a lot of people sat around doing seemingly sod all, may as well chuck a shirt on them and make use.

2 hours ago, jimtastic56 said:

By all accounts it sounds like we've built a fairly substantial recruitment team, it wouldn't have been cheap and I always said that it was important to invest in infrastructure to avoid pitfalls we have been down in the past and give ourselves an opportunity by using analyst to consider data to create a player pool for the scouting network to go-to work on. A condensed list from a wider network. All very solid ideas. 

All that being said, we've seen very little fruit from our endeavour. We know that Willumsson (who went to Birmingham) and Thordarsson (who went to Preston) were potentially targets and I assume there's a lot more that we don't know about. When we get to the end of the window, I imagine there will be an inquiry into why we struggled to get people over the line. 

We have largely recruited well since David Clowes took over as owner, but mostly filling the squad with short-term, low-risk players. In League One that was easy, sign out-of-contract Championship players and play them in League One. We had restrictions, the pool of players we were shopping in was relatively small anyway. It was pretty straight forward.

We would all love to know what the long-term plan is, realistically there has to be a strategy behind it all but I do struggle to see it at the moment. I'd have to guess it's not being implemented as well as any of them would like. 

Over the next couple of years I'd expect to see some academy/u23s players blooded and some prospects bought that grow in value or it'll be reasonable to ask why and if we are wasting money that could be spent on some known talent that we have been outbid on.