Your Top 3 Favourite Derby players ever

I've been following Derby since Sir Brian arrived, so my top 3 would be at least 30 strong. But there is one who stands out for me above all others, although admittedly in part because of what he could have achieved. We are talking George Thorne - Gorgeous George!

Although I can speak of all those mentioned, plus Alan Hinton - there hasn't been a winger like him ever since. Virtually every corner and every free -kick  was placed on a sixpence. Beckham wasn't  in the same league. He, like Colin Todd and  Charlie George he suffered from being at his peak when the wrong England manager was in charge. So did Kevin Hector.

But George was something else, and could easily have gone on to be England captain - subject to the England manager at the time! His ability to break up play, to play the simple pass, to play defence-splitting daisy-cutters were unsurpassed. What shame that Ipswich had an absolute Goombah in defence on that day, and that George was picked to play when it did not matter one little bit that he was in the team, or that George only knew how to play at full tilt. Oh boy, what could we have been part of?

11 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

You said favourites, not best, (Todd was the best )

Barnes

Huddlestone

Forsyth 

Yep,  that was deliberate 😀 

Not about 'the best',  just who made you proud, made you want to watch, who you hoped would have a good game,  who you gave latitude to have a poor game....would be your poster on the wall, make you smile.

On 11/06/2024 at 09:57, 1of4 said:

Archie Gemmill

Geraint (George) Williams

Graig Bryson

I was born in '86 and named after Williams. And you may be surprised to know that I can count on one hand how often people have made the link despite living in Derby my entire life 😄