Promotion pitch invasion

1 hour ago, Alan Ramage 4 EVA said:

I`d be astonished if we don`t get docked 21 points ? . Parry and Gibson will be getting there heads together to sort it out ! 

Applied retrospectively as an AI reconstruction (hand drawn by P&G) shows Carlisle scoring 3 goals in those two minutes.

22 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

Applied retrospectively as an AI reconstruction (hand drawn by P&G) shows Carlisle scoring 3 goals in those two minutes.

Wouldn't have made any difference if they had. Like the Fulham game in 1983, the results elsewhere made a re-run of our game redundant.

6 minutes ago, Crewton said:

Wouldn't have made any difference if they had. Like the Fulham game in 1983, the results elsewhere made a re-run of our game redundant.

You underestimate them.

They will figure that Bolton stopped trying due to Derby’s cheating and would have sailed past Peterborough had they learned of Carlisle’s miracle comeback plans 😊

30 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

Would you rather go to one of Boris’s parties or one of Keir’s?

I would much prefer going to a legal one under our next PM 😉 By the way, where are they hiding you during this campaign, haven’t seen anything of your pretty little face. Not hiding in a fridge I hope 🤣

2 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

I would much prefer going to a legal one under our next PM 😉 By the way, where are they hiding you during this campaign, haven’t seen anything of your pretty little face. Not hiding in a fridge I hope 🤣

I will be there at the Hustings. 
Unlike my colleagues, and as my wife will testify, I never pull out at the last minute.

17 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

Possibly, although wasn't a Barnsley player allegedly injured during the Portsmouth pitch invasion?

If they charge us then there are no doubt a few others including Wrexham and Ipswich at risk. 

I don't think they can set that precedent though. If they were to deduct points for us for example where there was no trouble or complaints from opposition players or officials, they'd have to do the same with all the other teams who invaded the pitch.

If opposition players are targeted then they should hand out a punishment. But I do remember going to see Chesterfield win the L2 title around 10 years ago and a portion of their fans battered the Bury keeper that day and the club just got off with a warning, which I don't think is enough.

17 hours ago, Alty_Ram said:

Ours was slightly aggravated by impacting on the actual finish time of the game where they just binned off the last 2 mins for what it was worth.

I'm sure I read that the 4th official informed the ref via his headset that the Bolton game had finished as a draw, therefore the result of our game was no longer of any relevance to the final standings, therefore the injury time in our game was rendered pointless.

Under the laws of the game, the referee has the discretion to end a game before the injury time is up if there are external circumstances that dictate it. In this case the match was a dead rubber, and neither team had any reason to object to ending the game early 

The crowd were not on the pitch, they were behind the advertising hoardings, which is where a lot of people stand for entire games now in the South Stand. No one entered the field of play while the game was in progress

Nothing to see here

13 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

Just imagine a Keith Starmer party.

Okay so I’ve brought the Tizer. Who’s got the paper cups?

Don’t worry, we’ll settle up at the end.

I think it's Rishi who's the tee-totaller. 

33 minutes ago, Stive Pesley said:

I'm sure I read that the 4th official informed the ref via his headset that the Bolton game had finished as a draw, therefore the result of our game was no longer of any relevance to the final standings, therefore the injury time in our game was rendered pointless.

Under the laws of the game, the referee has the discretion to end a game before the injury time is up if there are external circumstances that dictate it. In this case the match was a dead rubber, and neither team had any reason to object to ending the game early 

The crowd were not on the pitch, they were behind the advertising hoardings, which is where a lot of people stand for entire games now in the South Stand. No one entered the field of play while the game was in progress

Nothing to see here

No, I completely understand what you are saying and clearly nothing was materially affected in our case and I don't think any action is necessary even if I put my neutral hat on. If the message from Bolton came through that it was done and dusted then that is an understandable decision.

However, I guess my point was that there may be greyer areas where the outcome is more nuanced. Say Bolton had the result that they needed and we had to avoid chucking it away against Carlisle and maybe Carlisle had pulled one back. Playing the extra couple of minutes would have become increasingly problematic as any whistle blow could have had a few people running on, followed by a stampede as every made the assumption that it was over. You might forcibly clear the pitch after 20 minutes of chaos and then because the game(and season) is still in the balance, have to come back and play 1min 37 seconds or whatever which would be a right mess.

Not wishing to be a killjoy, and it was an amazing day, but if just feels like pitch invasions in general are a bit on an incident waiting to happen. All it needs is some drunken/drugged up eejit to rabbit punch an opposition player who then sparks out into an advertsing board, sustaining serious head injuries.

2 hours ago, Chesterfield_Ram said:

I don't think they can set that precedent though. If they were to deduct points for us for example where there was no trouble or complaints from opposition players or officials, they'd have to do the same with all the other teams who invaded the pitch.

If opposition players are targeted then they should hand out a punishment. But I do remember going to see Chesterfield win the L2 title around 10 years ago and a portion of their fans battered the Bury keeper that day and the club just got off with a warning, which I don't think is enough.

I think there is a precedent for “being charged” for failing to control your fans but certainly not for any points deduction (apart from the suspended deduction for Reading but that was because their pitch invasion was an orchestrated event to disrupt the game). The worst we’ll all get (which is what I said, if they’re going to charge us then they they’d probably also have to the likes of Ipswich and Wrexham) if anything, is a fine IMO.

If the referee thought the game couldn’t continue because his assistants were impeded (you’d think that would have come out of his report long ago), they he could have paused the game whilst the touchlines were cleared.

10k sanctions for all the clubs involved. Except Derby County, whose promotion is going to cancelled and will start next season with -21 points. That should teach them…

2 hours ago, Stive Pesley said:

Nothing to see here

You’re actually wrong on two accounts I believe.

1) Not all the fans were behind the advertising hoardings.

2) According to the FA rules of the game, the referee cannot reduce the minimum time added on:

The fourth official indicates the minimum additional time decided by the referee at the end of the final minute of each half. The additional time may be increased by the referee but not reduced.

56 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

2) According to the FA rules of the game, the referee cannot reduce the minimum time added on:

The fourth official indicates the minimum additional time decided by the referee at the end of the final minute of each half. The additional time may be increased by the referee but not reduced.

Yes - that's the letter of the law in general terms, but there are always "exceptional circumstances" where the referee is allowed to take a decision with authority. From the rulebook

The Laws cannot deal with every possible situation, so where there is no direct provision in the Laws, The IFAB expects the referee to make a decision within the ‘spirit’ of the game and the Laws – this often involves asking the question, ‘what would football want/expect?’ The Laws must also contribute to the safety and welfare of players and it is The IFAB’s responsibility to react quickly and appropriately to support the game’s participants

In this case, the ref decided not to play the additional minute as the season was over and the table decided, and it was deemed an unnecessary risk to continue 

20 minutes ago, Stive Pesley said:

Yes - that's the letter of the law in general terms, but there are always "exceptional circumstances" where the referee is allowed to take a decision with authority. From the rulebook

The Laws cannot deal with every possible situation, so where there is no direct provision in the Laws, The IFAB expects the referee to make a decision within the ‘spirit’ of the game and the Laws – this often involves asking the question, ‘what would football want/expect?’ The Laws must also contribute to the safety and welfare of players and it is The IFAB’s responsibility to react quickly and appropriately to support the game’s participants

In this case, the ref decided not to play the additional minute as the season was over and the table decided, and it was deemed an unnecessary risk to continue 

Fair enough then. We’ll call it a draw. One right and one wrong. 😀