Transfer rumours

34 minutes ago, richinspain said:

We've signed a player from the Dutch league, and almost certainly one from the Swedish league. How cute should we be? If we signed 11 players from foreign leagues and they all (or even half of them) had the success of Albentosa and Camara I don't think that the recruitment team would get many plaudits.

Signing foreign players has the same risk as signing players from England.  Providing you do your homework and don't sign players after watching a DVD of someones highlights, the risk reduces slightly.

We most certainly would get more bang for our buck on a striker from abroad.  And sign the right striker who can score goals and the value of them rises way beyond that of a goal keeper.

1 minute ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Signing foreign players has the same risk as signing players from England.  Providing you do your homework and don't sign players after watching a DVD of someones highlights, the risk reduces slightly.

We most certainly would get more bang for our buck on a striker from abroad.  And sign the right striker who can score goals and the value of them rises way beyond that of a goal keeper.

Although you're right, I do think that if we have limited funds it would be very risky to spend all of them on foreign players who may not adapt to the English game. I know people said that Albentosa failed, amongst other things (he may have been rubbish, he may not) because his wife was homesick (he actually denied that personally to me and said that he had offered his services when we were down to 5 signed players, but that's for another day). There are many factors when bringing foreign players in. I personally think that 2 in the same transfer window are enough.

32 minutes ago, richinspain said:

Although you're right, I do think that if we have limited funds it would be very risky to spend all of them on foreign players who may not adapt to the English game. I know people said that Albentosa failed, amongst other things (he may have been rubbish, he may not) because his wife was homesick (he actually denied that personally to me and said that he had offered his services when we were down to 5 signed players, but that's for another day). There are many factors when bringing foreign players in. I personally think that 2 in the same transfer window are enough.

Agreed and I'd also think our recruitment team might even consider asking them for recommendations regarding potential signings further down the line.Even if they only come up with one,it's a bonus.

12 minutes ago, nogbad van 50 said:

Agreed and I'd also think our recruitment team might even consider asking them for recommendations regarding potential signings further down the line.Even if they only come up with one,it's a bonus.

I did like that about Jim Smith, he tried to sign 2 of everything so they weren't homesick.  Such a simple tactic that worked.

Stimac & Asanovic

Eranio & Baiano

Wanchope & Solis

Lets go double dutch!

9 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

I did like that about Jim Smith, he tried to sign 2 of everything so they weren't homesick.  Such a simple tactic that worked.

Stimac & Asanovic

Eranio & Baiano

Wanchope & Solis

Lets go double dutch!

Yes it was very canny. Perhaps he couldnt find two estonians though. I loved that era

58 minutes ago, richinspain said:

Is bringing in players like Woodrow actually any different to bringing in an unknown foreigner (assuming at least some due diligence has been conducted).

As fans we are way more excited at an unknown than a known even if they turn out to be a flop. However on paper I do feel you get more value for money - £1.4m to a Swedish club is huge. The wages they pay are less than the Championship for instance  so it goes further.

16 minutes ago, jimtastic56 said:

Sheffield Utd have taken Winger Rak-Saky on loan for the season from Palace . Did he have the chance to join his mate with us or has Warne come to the conclusion 16 wide players is enough ? 

Not sure the 1 million loan fee and all his wages would’ve really appealed to us 😂

1 hour ago, rammieib said:

Is bringing in players like Woodrow actually any different to bringing in an unknown foreigner (assuming at least some due diligence has been conducted).

As fans we are way more excited at an unknown than a known even if they turn out to be a flop. However on paper I do feel you get more value for money - £1.4m to a Swedish club is huge. The wages they pay are less than the Championship for instance  so it goes further.

Although I agree with you with regards getting excited over a foreign signing, in the case of Woodrow for example I do think that it is a lower risk signing (would he be a permanent or loan, I honestly don't know?). It's not as exciting, but managers don't keep their jobs through exciting signings, only successful ones.

26 minutes ago, Fraser_23 said:

Boro just announced Conway, so wonder if Coburn will be on his way out. 

Really liked the look of him against leeds so hopefully we will be in for him?

Going to Millwall I believe unless anything late happens 

47 minutes ago, Fraser_23 said:

Boro just announced Conway, so wonder if Coburn will be on his way out. 

Really liked the look of him against leeds so hopefully we will be in for him?

I personally hope so, but simultaneously the idea of having to do any business at all with Boro makes my skin crawl!

28 minutes ago, richinspain said:

Although I agree with you with regards getting excited over a foreign signing, in the case of Woodrow for example I do think that it is a lower risk signing (would he be a permanent or loan, I honestly don't know?). It's not as exciting, but managers don't keep their jobs through exciting signings, only successful ones.

I think my point was that Woodrow hasn’t done anything in recent years to show he will do anything if we signed him.

Id sooner take a ‘punt’ on someone who scored 15 goals in the Belgium/Swiss/Dutch/Danish top leagues than someone who has scored 2 in 40 appearances (or whatever it is and I know most were as a sub).