Transfer rumours

3 hours ago, TuffLuff said:

Dare I say we can put a bit of praise on Mark Smith now (without going ott before the start of the season), but we’ve seemingly found targets who are a step up from last year, are attainable and aren’t in a market where we are having to outbid other teams. He took a lot of flack last season, probably deserves a bit of praise this time around

Mark Thomas*

2 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Bristol City picked up a 22 year old forward (Fally Mayulu) from Austria who I would back to score 20+ in a couple of years time.  He's dominant in the air, a good dribbler, scores and creates a lot of chances. The two downsides being: he cost approx £3m, and his defensive contribution is severely lacking. Definiely one to watch out for once settled though. The price also indicates how difficult it'll be to find a promising young forward, even abroad. With our budget, we need a bit of luck by finding a free agent, or hope a youngster comes through the academy.

I read a little about him when I saw they were linked, thought he sounded promising, with good technical ability especially when receiving the ball with his back to goal just outside of the area and turning to shoot / play someone else in.

Do you have any insight into the player Plymouth have brought in, Muhamed Tijani?

A 6'3" 23 y/o target man on loan from Slavia Praha with an option to buy him at the end of the season. Not an impressive scoring record by any means but sounds like he's got the physical attributes to do well.

That sort of deal might be a suitable option for us?

Edited by May Contain Nuts

So we’re 50% done now with 6/12 more than likely 7 by early next week. Very interested to see who the last 5 will be. A striker from abroad, a creative wing back, Pacey centre back on a permanent? Been impressed so far and I think all our signings are good enough for a mid table finish.

3 minutes ago, May Contain Nuts said:

I read a little about him when I saw they were linked, thought he sounded promising, with good technical ability especially when receiving the ball with his back to goal just outside of the area and turning to shoot / play someone else in.

Do you have any insight into the player Plymouth have brought in, Muhamed Tijani?

A 6'3" 23 y/o target man on loan from Slavia Praha with an option to buy him at the end of the season. Not an impressive scoring record by any means but sounds like he's got the physical attributes to do well.

That sort of deal might be a suitable option for us?

Based only on (limited) stats... he's a hard working forward who will win the ball back high up the pitch and is good in the air. He was fortunate to get the 2 assists he did get last season. His movement in the box is very good, which is why fewer players matches his number of touches and shots per 90. However, he appears to be a poor finisher, hence his poor shot conversion.

He only played an average of 42 mins per game (917 mins in the league) so the sample size is pretty small. However, I don't think we'll look back at the end of the season and wish we'd have signed him.

1 minute ago, Eoghan1884 said:

So we’re 50% done now with 6/12 more than likely 7 by early next week. Very interested to see who the last 5 will be. A striker from abroad, a creative wing back, Pacey centre back on a permanent? Been impressed so far and I think all our signings are good enough for a mid table finish.

I wonder to what extend our signings so far represent Warne's targeted starting XI. I suspect he will want to line up with a better striker than Yates or Collins by the time we play Blackpool, but that's a tough position to recruit for.

7 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

I wonder to what extend our signings so far represent Warne's targeted starting XI. I suspect he will want to line up with a better striker than Yates or Collins by the time we play Blackpool, but that's a tough position to recruit for.

Cant see us getting relegated or Blackpool promoted so he’s a long while to sort a striker out it seems.

28 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

Understatement I would think 

Just now, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

This is the complication on the GK front then.

He won't be ours before 1st August then. Still a little while to go on this one then, lads.

2 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

Surely not next Thursday as well? That would give him only 1 pre season game if he's lucky... it's only 2 days after their European fixture.

4 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Surely not next Thursday as well? That would give him only 1 pre season game if he's lucky... it's only 2 days after their European fixture.

Well playing in competitive football isn't exactly bad prep to be fair. The drawback is getting him integrated with the squad, but he can sit out the friendly and take part in training ahead of the season opener.

8 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

Hope they've built some sort of "injury rebate" clause into the contract then just in case.  

6 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

How much would they gain in cash through qualifying? Is he that important to them?

1 minute ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

Well playing in competitive football isn't exactly bad prep to be fair. The drawback is getting him integrated with the squad, but he can sit out the friendly and take part in training ahead of the season opener.

The main issue is building chemistry with the CBs - something you won't gain by playing games for another club, or in training.

5 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

How much would they gain in cash through qualifying? Is he that important to them?

I'd imagine it isn't insignificant. But it also sounds like they have submitted a squad list to UEFA so it isn't as easy as just replacing.

3 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Base money for getting to the conference league is £3 million which will probably go a long way for them. Like German clubs they have the 50+1 rule so they are owned essentially by the members.

3 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Last year they earned £6m from the Conference League participation (knocked out in the round of 16).
This round in particular (2nd qualifying round) is worth £200k but qualification for the group stage is worth £2.5m more than what they'd currently get.