UEFA Euro 2024 Thread

Day

4 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

4 out of 6 third place teams go through (it's a really stupid format, it really is) so 4 points would just need 2 of the other groups to have the third placed team on 3 or less, be probably unlikely that all groups have the 3rd place team on 4 points and Scotland go out due to their goal difference.

Much more likely Scotland go out by failing to defeat Hungary, although, it would be the most scottish thing every to get 4 points and then go out....

This competition should really be reduced back to 16 teams.

I'm not sure, you have teams like Wales and Ireland who haven't made the cut and the standard has been pretty good. I think it's been a really good tournament and a vindication to open it up to more sides.  I'm never going to be against more games, unless the standards drop. 

3 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

I'm not sure, you have teams like Wales and Ireland who haven't made the cut and the standard has been pretty good. I think it's been a really good tournament and a vindication to open it up to more sides.  I'm never going to be against more games, unless the standards drop. 

This tournament has been so fun. Banger goals, teams giving it a go. No boring pep side to side until we fall asleep nonsense like we’ve seen over the last god knows how many years. It’s been so refreshing. 

3 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

4 points should make it as one of the better 3rd place teams in this (TBH stupid) format.

Although the previous format of 16 teams was good because you had the best of the best I do actually like having 24 teams because teams like Georgia, Albania, Slovakia would have really struggled to qualify yet they have been the most exciting in this tournament. I don't think it will seem that bad when the next world cup is going to 48 teams.

6 minutes ago, EtoileSportiveDeDerby said:

They think they are gonna win their last game vs Hungary. Hungary lost by 2 goals and had chances vs Germany. Scotland on the other hand were abysmal. 1 point in the bag and on the beach next week, the usual

Yeah i don't really think they looked like they were playing for their place in the next round. 

If I'm a Scotland fan I wouldn't want to leave it to the Hungary game when it's just Switzerland. I mean they're not bad but you can't come to the tournament hoping to face San Marino.

I'm not sure why they feel Hungary are such a glaring opportunity. Switzerland looked pretty poor. I'd be a bit annoyed

2 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

That's a fair point, it has been really good this tournament. It's more the aukward maths that grate me really, I think 4 groups of 5 would probably work with the top 2 going to a QF. 6 team groups might be too big and lose the tournament vibes as the group stage drags on.

8 groups of 3, top 2 go through perhaps if you insist on having it 24 teams. Although that's only giving you 24 group games instead of 36 group games in the current format. 

3 minutes ago, eddielewis said:

Although the previous format of 16 teams was good because you had the best of the best I do actually like having 24 teams because teams like Georgia, Albania, Slovakia would have really struggled to qualify yet they have been the most exciting in this tournament. I don't think it will seem that bad when the next world cup is going to 48 teams.

That's probably going to be too much, 32 was enough. Although on the plus side, it does increase the chances of Scotland at world cups again.

2 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

That's probably going to be too much, 32 was enough. Although on the plus side, it does increase the chances of Scotland at world cups again.

Only an increase for UEFA countries from 13 to 16. Some big increases for Asia and Africa. Currently as it stands Rwanda is on track to qualify.

1 hour ago, Srg said:

This tournament has been so fun. Banger goals, teams giving it a go. No boring pep side to side until we fall asleep nonsense like we’ve seen over the last god knows how many years. It’s been so refreshing. 

I think the general consensus is that the tournaments have increasingly gotten better year on year.

Anyone remember the World Cup in South Africa? Utter garbage with those horrible vuvuzelas.

That Spain 08-12 team was ridiculously good, but football is more entertaining when it’s imperfect, chaotic and less methodological but still of high quality.

9 hours ago, Comrade 86 said:

Scotland much improved, but perhaps fortunate to secure a draw. I'd like to see them progress to be honest, if only for the travelling fans who have supported them through thick and thin.

McTominay the stand-out for me. Does Shaquiri ever score ugly goals? From side on I immediately thought, WTF is the keeper doing there, but then you see the reverse view and think, no feckin chance. Some strike!

In my playing days I hit shots like that all the time, Only every one hit the corner flag 😁

It was a goal of quality to match a good few others 👍

20 minutes ago, Premier ram said:

If trophies were won by sheer heart, grit and determination then Albania would be champions of Europe , their never say die attitude is so infectious 

I can imagine Silvinho and his assistant Zabaleta will be much sought after this Euro's. Wouldn't surprise me if they go something out of the Spain game.

11 hours ago, eddielewis said:

What about (and I’m thinking out loud here), winners of groups go straight to the quarter finals, second places and third places go into a sort of round of 16 play off to see who meets them. 

yeah, maths doesn’t work. 6 group finalists into 4 quarter finals doesn’t go.

i just feel like there should be some incentive for finishing first in the group. Some sort of by through the next round, with some sort of play off between the best of the rest.

or you just say screw it and increase the whole thing to 32 teams 8 groups of 4, top two go through to a round of 16. Easy. 

27 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

What about (and I’m thinking out loud here), winners of groups go straight to the quarter finals, second places and third places go into a sort of round of 16 play off to see who meets them. 

yeah, maths doesn’t work. 6 group finalists into 4 quarter finals doesn’t go.

i just feel like there should be some incentive for finishing first in the group. Some sort of by through the next round, with some sort of play off between the best of the rest.

or you just say screw it and increase the whole thing to 32 teams 8 groups of 4, top two go through to a round of 16. Easy. 

I think we'll probably eventually see an increase to 32 especially if the 48 team World Cup and Club World Cup flops. UEFA is probably licking it's lips to sell the EURO's as the premier international competition if that happens. The nations league is kind of doing what it's intended which was through the promotion/relegation it is raising the quality of the middle to lower-ish bracket of nations (just take Luxembourg who nearly qualified) and you could also say the Conference League also is helping by giving smaller nations clubs sides money and opportunity to compete.

18 minutes ago, eddielewis said:

I think we'll probably eventually see an increase to 32 especially if the 48 team World Cup and Club World Cup flops. UEFA is probably licking it's lips to sell the EURO's as the premier international competition if that happens. The nations league is kind of doing what it's intended which was through the promotion/relegation it is raising the quality of the middle to lower-ish bracket of nations (just take Luxembourg who nearly qualified) and you could also say the Conference League also is helping by giving smaller nations clubs sides money and opportunity to compete.

There are easily 32 clubs that are good enough to be in this tournament. Iceland, Ireland and wales wouldn’t be out of place. We’ve got a lot of countries in Europe.

it would make qualifying a bit of a waste of time though, cos it really would just be the minnows that miss out. You wouldn’t get many shocks like Italy or Netherlands failing to qualify. 

18 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

There are easily 32 clubs that are good enough to be in this tournament. Iceland, Ireland and wales wouldn’t be out of place. We’ve got a lot of countries in Europe.

it would make qualifying a bit of a waste of time though, cos it really would just be the minnows that miss out. You wouldn’t get many shocks like Italy or Netherlands failing to qualify. 

It would take some manoeuvring but I guess you could combine the nations league with the qualification. Either way I don't have any bug bares on the current format.

17 minutes ago, Alph said:

You'll need about 4 months off work to go to the Euros if they keep extending it.

Already murmurings of player revolt at the extension of tournaments, We now appear to have a 365 day season for the top players, Newcastle /Spurs after their final game of the season flew to Oz to play a 3 team tournament, Newcastle losing 8-0 3/4 days after landing, Jet lag still in their system I'd guess, Player welfare is/will be an issue, Man City/Pep...bless em complained of their EPL fixtures after playing in Europe.

Money is the guiding factor, FIFA President Giovanni Infantino when at the games in Qatar explicitly said that when he's at games the TV stations must capture him for the audience 🙄😂

Now I'm one of the paying TV customers and to be honest...I've enjoyed the Euro games up to press, They've been a fresh breath of air in what was a staid competition in the past and this extension of tournaments are aimed at customers like me.

Yes I have double standards 😉  

3 hours ago, Premier ram said:

If trophies were won by sheer heart, grit and determination then Albania would be champions of Europe , their never say die attitude is so infectious 

That injury time equalizer is probably the only goal I've jumped out of my seat and cheered so far....including England's....😄

Fantastic tournament thus far. Thought Hungary were unlucky yesterday, the Scotland vs Hungary game could be a cracker with both teams needing a win to have much of a chance of progressing.

Really hope England remember that it's ok to run tonight. No more walking-pace crab-football hopefully....

On 18/06/2024 at 21:50, Bris Vegas said:

Portugal were crap in 2016, drew all their group games, finished 3rd and were then rewarded with a route to the final consisting of Poland, Croatia and Wales.

The 24-team format is a mess in general. You end up with dead-rubber 3rd games and second chances after failure (teams finishing 3rd).

The Euros were far better in the 16-game format, but money dictates I guess.

Not sure I agree with this years offering. Only Scotland look a little out of place with everyone else giving teams a good game. In 2016 the quality didn't look like it was there but this offering is completely different.

Luke Shaw is now crocked again and I find myself asking what the hell he's doing there in the first place. He hasn't kicked a ball in 4 months! I'm generally pretty supportive of Southgate but this seems a really poor selection to me, though I appreciate options are not exactly plentiful.