Airbnb/last minute stay deals etc

Where have all the good deals gone?

Currently in the middle of Scotland on a break and coming back to mid England tomorrow but was hoping to have a stop about halfway around Northumberland or into the North Yorkshire (got a toddler, it’s given decent weather, slight extension to holiday) but I can’t find anything for under £100.

Swear at one time you’d even be able to get someone’s back room for £30 but this doesn’t seem to exist anymore or something cheap at the last minute and it seems impossible. 

Might be a case of getting somewhere and going round a few hotels with vacancies or is their a secret website that hotels sell off their unsold rooms

9 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

Currently in the middle of Scotland on a break and coming back to mid England tomorrow but was hoping to have a stop about halfway around Northumberland or into the North Yorkshire (got a toddler, it’s given decent weather, slight extension to holiday) but I can’t find anything for under £100.

Swear at one time you’d even be able to get someone’s back room for £30 but this doesn’t seem to exist anymore or something cheap at the last minute and it seems impossible. 

Might be a case of getting somewhere and going round a few hotels with vacancies or is their a secret website that hotels sell off their unsold rooms

https://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/914279441553322931?adults=2&category_tag=Tag%3A8678&enable_m3_private_room=true&infants=1&location=Northumberland%2C United Kingdom&photo_id=1680065809&search_mode=regular_search&check_in=2024-05-10&check_out=2024-05-11&source_impression_id=p3_1715274188_845t9iSHlf9Ko7aw&previous_page_section_name=1001&federated_search_id=4a7308b0-53b3-45ea-b2c8-d9d3d94a9448

1 hour ago, TuffLuff said:

Blackpool has 81 hotels under £75 pounds for three guests.

45 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

Yeah, but when you go outside those hotels you find Blackpool. 

My mate stayed at a B&B in Blackpool about 5 years ago.  Came home with a damaged back as he lay down on the bed quickly when he got their and the entire back end had collapsed and they rested it on breeze blocks.  It also had subsidence and the landing was on a tilt.  That being said, I once stayed at a B&B in Cornwall, shower had no dial just a nut.  Went down to get it sorted and he apologized and said he hadn't left the pliers. Also stayed in one at Skegness where someone had puked in the kettle.   I s*** you not. 

7 hours ago, Foreveram said:

Rated fourth best UK seaside town, have you ever actually been.

Who by? Blackpool Tourist Board. 

I haven’t been to Blackpool since the 90’s and I doubt it has changed. Perhaps they might have replaced a few lightbulbs. 

Posted (edited)

AirBnB has ruined many of the locations in which they've proliferated. Locals can't find houses and flats to rent because landlords have been minting it post-Covid. Even pre-Covid they were a blight on some locations. It seems that some local councils are fighting back and landlords have been 'persuaded' to revert to long-term lets. That may be why there's fewer bargains to be had.

Edited by Crewton

1 hour ago, i-Ram said:

I haven’t been to Blackpool since the 90’s and I doubt it has changed. Perhaps they might have replaced a few lightbulbs. 

Not exactly Simon Calder then are you 😉

On 10/05/2024 at 07:06, i-Ram said:

It now has lots of ice cream places with "award winning ice creams". Probably.

If Blackpool is 4th, what is number 20 like?

On 10/05/2024 at 07:47, Crewton said:

AirBnB has ruined many of the locations in which they've proliferated. Locals can't find houses and flats to rent because landlords have been minting it post-Covid. Even pre-Covid they were a blight on some locations. It seems that some local councils are fighting back and landlords have been 'persuaded' to revert to long-term lets. That may be why there's fewer bargains to be had.

This all day long , refuse to use them 

On 09/05/2024 at 17:53, TuffLuff said:

An app that claims it does on-the-day hotel rooms wanting selling off is Hotel Tonight. Not used it forever, but checked just now and was surprised how cheap the rooms around me in central London are for the evening. Maybe worth a look? 

https://txt.htltn.com/

On 12/05/2024 at 10:11, Carl Sagan said:

An app that claims it does on-the-day hotel rooms wanting selling off is Hotel Tonight. Not used it forever, but checked just now and was surprised how cheap the rooms around me in central London are for the evening. Maybe worth a look? 

Thanks for this, will keep it in mind for the future!

On 12/05/2024 at 10:11, Carl Sagan said:

Quite a few IHG hotels on there, Holiday inn, Crowne Plaza etc, I am a IHG diamond member and use them quite a lot.

I checked a few of the prices some were dearer some were cheaper, the thing is if you sign up to be a member, which is easy to do and then find the same room offered cheaper they will match the price and give you 4x the points you earn.

On 09/05/2024 at 21:37, Van der MoodHoover said:

Try the booking.com app as well....can find some bargains from time to time.

I use booking.com narrow it down to 2-3 places, phone them direct very often get a good deal because it saves them the booking fee.

2 hours ago, cstand said:

I use booking.com narrow it down to 2-3 places, phone them direct very often get a good deal because it saves them the booking fee.

Exactly. When I was working away from home, I'd find a good Airbnb and do a side deal. Saves usually 20% or so.....