Cruzcampo

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting comments here by the guy that runs Estrella Galicia...

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13496329/Row-Spanish-beer-boss-accuses-British-firms-dishonesty.html

I took some of his beers to my brother's house on weekend and he had some Madri's in. I had one of those first and was pretty average taste. We both had a Galicia after and the taste difference was huge.

My brother, who usually drinks Britsh lagers, also much preferred the Galicia.

On 06/06/2024 at 06:22, ariotofmyown said:

Interesting comments here by the guy that runs Estrella Galicia...

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13496329/Row-Spanish-beer-boss-accuses-British-firms-dishonesty.html

I took some of his beers to my brother's house on weekend and he had some Madri's in. I had one of those first and was pretty average taste. We both had a Galicia after and the taste difference was huge.

My brother, who usually drinks Britsh lagers, also much preferred the Galicia.

They do a gluten free one, it’s nice and if your session is only a couple of hours perfect. Any longer and on that I’m coming home with traffic cones on my head and trousers on back to front. Elon should be using it as the rocket fuel to send those rockets up and down into the Indian Ocean 

I'd been racking my brains trying to think what used to be on all these pumps that are now Madri and Cruzcampo

Mrs Pesley just got back from a few days away in Ireland visiting friends and mentioned that they still sold Hop House Lager over there.

I'd totally forgotten that was one which has disappeared completely in the last few years, as I always thought it wasn't a bad lager, and it was everywhere at one point

Turns out they just stopped selling it to Great Britain

https://www.thegrocer.co.uk/alcohol/guinness-spin-off-hop-house-13-to-be-axed-in-britain/655599.article

On 11/06/2024 at 16:19, Stive Pesley said:

I'd been racking my brains trying to think what used to be on all these pumps that are now Madri and Cruzcampo

Mrs Pesley just got back from a few days away in Ireland visiting friends and mentioned that they still sold Hop House Lager over there.

I'd totally forgotten that was one which has disappeared completely in the last few years, as I always thought it wasn't a bad lager, and it was everywhere at one point

https://www.thegrocer.co.uk/alcohol/guinness-spin-off-hop-house-13-to-be-axed-in-britain/655599.article

Before HH13, Guinness had an attempt at a German-style Weissbier - I think it was around the year 2000 (perhaps a couple of years before). The beer was called Breo (pronounced 'Bro') and was extensively marketed as a beer for trendy young things in the Dublin area.

It was ok for a hot summer's day, but for the life of me, I couldn't see the old regulars in the Cat And Cage giving up their Murphy's, Beamish or Guinness to try it.

The beer was withdrawn a couple of years later.

On 11/06/2024 at 16:19, Stive Pesley said:

There’s some that have left the market entirely, some that have gone by the wayside or just declined in popularity massively - think Grolsch, Beck’s Vier, Kronenbourg, Amstel etc. 

Since covid, the market trend has been to premiumisation. Essentially, the mainstream lager sector is shrinking significantly - Carling, Fosters and Carlsberg. This is being taken up by more expensive beers. Basically, when people do go out, albeit it’s less often, they’re spending more per pint. This has seen not just the rise in Moretti, Madri and now Cruzcampo but also in craft lagers like Salt, Beavertown, Camden etc. 

8 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

Prahva seems to be everywhere atm as well. I'd almost forgot about Hop House 13, very popular when it appeared but not really missed when it suddenly disappeared!

Didn't Guinness make Harp lager years ago? I remember the advert, Harp, stays sharp to the bottom of the glass. 

Pravha is another one from Molson Coors (Carling, Madri etc), but it’s essentially a Pilsner from Staropramen (who Molson Coors also own). It is authentic and was crafted in the Czech Republic probably around 7 or 8 years ago now if memory serves. 

Hop House being removed from the UK was always a puzzling one for me. I didn’t like it (too hoppy for my taste) but know a lot of people seemed to, so did strike me as an odd choice. 

9 hours ago, Srg said:

There’s some that have left the market entirely, some that have gone by the wayside or just declined in popularity massively - think Grolsch, Beck’s Vier, Kronenbourg, Amstel etc. 

Amstel is still around. It was the main lager at West Ham’s ground last season, pops up at various pubs down here, and much of their market is in West Africa where it vies with Star and Club. But yes, whatever happened to Grolsch and Kronenbourg.

1 minute ago, Turk Thrust said:

Amstel is still around. It was the main lager at West Ham’s ground last season, pops up at various pubs down here, and much of their market is in West Africa where it vies with Star and Club. But yes, whatever happened to Grolsch and Kronenbourg.

I know it’s still around, just not as widespread as it used to be. 

Grolsch used to be owned in the UK by Molson Coors. They let that go in favour of Staropramen, which they had the global rights for when they purchased StarBev in Europe. Grolsch then entered the wilderness for a little bit but is now owned by Asahi. They re-entered it into the UK but it’s at a much lower ABV now (cheaper due to the duty on higher ABV beer). 

Kronenbourg is still owned by Heineken and you still occasionally see them push it but not so much on draft. Think they just prefer to go with Birra Moretti or Cruzcampo now. They also own Amstel, too. 

3 hours ago, Srg said:

I know it’s still around, just not as widespread as it used to be. 

Grolsch used to be owned in the UK by Molson Coors. They let that go in favour of Staropramen, which they had the global rights for when they purchased StarBev in Europe. Grolsch then entered the wilderness for a little bit but is now owned by Asahi. They re-entered it into the UK but it’s at a much lower ABV now (cheaper due to the duty on higher ABV beer). 

Kronenbourg is still owned by Heineken and you still occasionally see them push it but not so much on draft. Think they just prefer to go with Birra Moretti or Cruzcampo now. They also own Amstel, too. 

What’s the next big one on the block then, as I remember you tipping me off about Madri before it took over.

Do you know owt about horse racing as well? I’m up for any kind of early tips me.

2 hours ago, Day said:

What’s the next big one on the block then, as I remember you tipping me off about Madri before it took over.

Do you know owt about horse racing as well? I’m up for any kind of early tips me.

Victoria Malaga seems to be getting about. Another European lager with a bloke as the logo. Other than that, not seeing any new brands on the rise currently. 

6 hours ago, Srg said:
6 hours ago, Srg said:

That explains why Beerwulf are suddenly selling Cruzcampo Blade kegs. 

44 minutes ago, Srg said:

Victoria Malaga seems to be getting about. Another European lager with a bloke as the logo. Other than that, not seeing any new brands on the rise currently. 

Getting strong Moretti vibes from that 

IMG_4518.png

58 minutes ago, Srg said:

Confusingly there is already a popular Aussie lager called Victoria Bitter 🤯
image.thumb.png.b2ce9a6e675458a4d23dc39416bdbfa3.png

Which reminds me - whatever happened to Castlemaine XXXX?