Paul Warne

Day

43 minutes ago, Andicis said:

I'd argue that our style of play does have a ceiling. It's becoming exceedingly rare to see teams playing the way we do higher up in the championship and especially not in the premier league. 

It would be easy to pick holes in that, of course. It’s becoming exceedingly rare that teams don’t play the ball forward quickly in the Premier League, the top teams are so dominant in possession that you have to think more tactical in terms of being as effective as possible with what you have. 

There are plenty of premier league teams who average 35/40% possession over the season. Forest stayed up with an average of 37.2% possession. Southampton have dominated the ball in both their games, lost them both and haven’t scored, because the opposition team have been more tactical.  

5 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

It would be easy to pick holes in that, of course. It’s becoming exceedingly rare that teams don’t play the ball forward quickly in the Premier League, the top teams are so dominant in possession that you have to think more tactical in terms of being as effective as possible with what you have. 

There are plenty of premier league teams who average 35/40% possession over the season. Forest stayed up with an average of 37.2% possession. Southampton have dominated the ball in both their games, lost them both and haven’t scored, because the opposition team have been more tactical.  

Thing is though we talk about the teams that do well on lower possession, they are usually really good on counters or playing for a lot of set pieces. Take the Watford game for example, we were pretty ineffective on counters, we don't do it well at all. We are good from set pieces but we are getting far less this season as most of the time the ball is in our half.

We can be a low possession side but we don't counter or play percentages anywhere near well enough at the moment to be effective at it.

1 hour ago, islandram said:

Tbh I’m from a different generation but I fail to understand how we can discuss another new manager when our owner has openly said warne is under no threat. some of the posters on here need to take a long look in mirror if they can get heads out of their keyboard. I think they call them warriors . It may upset some on here but a lot of people don’t support club or players they just whine and whinge before we even sign anyone people are saying not good enough. Perhaps they should remember where we were two ago . that’s my lot I’m off I will support but can’t put up with the crap people post everyday.

How long have you been on this forum for?

If it's anything more than a year then would have thought you would be accustomed to it by now.

I guess quite rightly everyone has their own personal tolerance levels. 

When Warne goes, and he will go as he won't be managing us in perpetuity, then the next manager will be the new focus, rinse and repeat. 

1 hour ago, rammieib said:

If you can’t respect both sides of an argument then there isn’t much point being on a forum.

I think more people on here are supporting Warne than are not. I respect that. If I’m not allowed to voice my opinion that I think the football is awful, negative and driving us to bottom six then why have a forum in the first place?

You are allowed to voice your opinion, you just did, it doesn’t mean people have to respect it though.

18 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

It's not a binary choice of get it forward quickly, or play sideways on your own 18 yard line all game though.  There's a spectrum of positions in between.  Last season, we had a lower pass completion percentage than every single Premier League team, played more long balls than every one of them, and put more crosses in than every one.  The situation is pretty much the same in the Championship - last season our stats would have put us in the bottom 3 (or top 3 depending on how you look at it) for all those stats too.  Nobody in the higher leagues is playing the way we do, or at least not to the same extent anyway.   (You can argue Prem players are better the ours etc, but they were also playing against Prem standard opponents too.)

I don't think anybody is absolutely demanding that we play like a Guardiola team or anything, there's a reasonable spread of ways of playing that are both entertaining and affective.  And if we pick one of those and play it reasonably well then most people are going to be happy.  But at the moment, and for most of the last 2 years, we've been so far beyond the other end of the acceptable range (IMO anyway) that it's dreadful to watch.  Nobody minds the ball going forwards quickly.  I can't imagine anybody really like the ball getting slung forward/wide at the first chance and more often than not always given away, and then we get to watch the other team pass round us for 5 minutes.  And that's been happening far too much.

3 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

How long have you been on this forum for?

If it's anything more than a year then would have thought you would be accustomed to it by now.

I guess quite rightly everyone has their own personal tolerance levels. 

When Warne goes, and he will go as he won't be managing us in perpetuity, then the next manager will be the new focus, rinse and repeat. 

What most surprises me is eg the constant pointing out that he's been relegated 3 times as if it's something no one realised. 

Everything about Warne suggests he is a 'thinker'. Not saying that means he's a 'deep thinker' or tactically clever, but he clearly doesn't turn up and stick a teamsheet and slope off to his office, then have a glass of wine after the game and move on.

He will be eminently aware of his track record at this level. He will be going over and over in his head what went wrong.  I sincerely doubt he will be shrugging his shoulders today and saying 'Let's not stress getting in any more players'.

He clearly takes all the vetting and meeting/greeting etc very seriously. No one will be more aware of the need for reinforcements. 

If eventually he is presented with a few options he views as over priced or not an improvement then I won't be slating him - but I think we will get a couple in anyway.

1 hour ago, rammieib said:

If you can’t respect both sides of an argument then there isn’t much point being on a forum.

I think more people on here are supporting Warne than are not. I respect that. If I’m not allowed to voice my opinion that I think the football is awful, negative and driving us to bottom six then why have a forum in the first place?

I don't think that's the issue here - it's that you've made everyone patently aware of how you feel about Warnes brand of football to paraphrase yourself, but you've laboured this same point so many times now that it's just become clichéd or dare I say boring.

Warne isn't going anywhere short term, so either get used to that or stop posting the same monotonous diatribes as we all genuinely get it.

Edited by Tyler Durden

8 minutes ago, duncanjwitham said:

It's not a binary choice of get it forward quickly, or play sideways on your own 18 yard line all game though.  There's a spectrum of positions in between.  Last season, we had a lower pass completion percentage than every single Premier League team, played more long balls than every one of them, and put more crosses in than every one.  The situation is pretty much the same in the Championship - last season our stats would have put us in the bottom 3 (or top 3 depending on how you look at it) for all those stats too.  Nobody in the higher leagues is playing the way we do, or at least not to the same extent anyway.   (You can argue Prem players are better the ours etc, but they were also playing against Prem standard opponents too.)

I don't think anybody is absolutely demanding that we play like a Guardiola team or anything, there's a reasonable spread of ways of playing that are both entertaining and affective.  And if we pick one of those and play it reasonably well then most people are going to be happy.  But at the moment, and for most of the last 2 years, we've been so far beyond the other end of the acceptable range (IMO anyway) that it's dreadful to watch.  Nobody minds the ball going forwards quickly.  I can't imagine anybody really like the ball getting slung forward/wide at the first chance and more often than not always given away, and then we get to watch the other team pass round us for 5 minutes.  And that's been happening far too much.

Fair comments.

I'm definitely Warne-in, but a couple of the performances near the end of last season (in amongst the numerous often grinding wins) were truly awful.

So far we have really just sat in and been 'competitive'. 5-10 more games like that with poor results and the criticism will be deafening I think.

2 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Sky money gives the Club more than fans attending matches love. 😄

Not the same though at home on your  own or in a pub with a few fans. Admittedly dont go away, but know all the fans round you who have been going for years. We call them our football family.

25 minutes ago, Foreveram said:

I thought of lots of things I could reply to this but they would all get me permanently banned.

Go ahead say what you want because undoubtedly it'll be about football and not personal.

1 minute ago, Kathcairns said:

Not the same though at home on your  own or in a pub with a few fans. Admittedly dont go away, but know all the fans round you who have been going for years. We call them our football family.

Stuff you lot who can't afford it? What do you call them, 'not our football family'? 👍

Just now, Kathcairns said:

What do you mean by stuff the fans who cant afford it, i dont drink, go abroad  so going to pride park is my enjoyment. Think your remark to me is very disrespectfull, thankyou.

So, you can afford it so everyone else must also be able to? I meant no disrespect because 'We're all Derby, aren't we'.

6 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Stuff you lot who can't afford it? What do you call them, 'not our football family'? 👍

You really are bitter and twisted, how many holidays have you been on in the last year, which is your prerogative, but please don’t try the “ I’d love to go games but I can’t afford it “.

There are lots of people in that position, I don’t think you are one of them.

Tell me I’m wrong.

Just now, Foreveram said:

You really are bitter and twisted, how many holidays have you been on in the last year, which is your prerogative, but please don’t try the “ I’d love to go games but I can’t afford it “.

There are lots of people in that position, I don’t think you are one of them.

Tell me I’m wrong.

Remember please - you're only allowed to attack the post content not the poster.

The pseudo moderators on here told me so. 

I think the main problem that leads to criticism is the lack of consistent play style we have. For example, against Barron’s it was very difficult to see what the team were trying to do to win the game, whereas against Portsmouth away last season it was clear that we were sitting back then once Portsmouth made a game we had direct counter attacking play.

If I could have it my way, we would play quick attacking football on our way to promotion, but I would accept it if Warne and the team had a clear style to gain points.

Too often it feels like we sit back then once we get on the ball the team plays like they’re having a kick about with the mates in the park.

Warne and other members of the club have often talked about what he wants his players to be like and what he wants to play like, but how often have we seen it?

To give Warne some credit we did get promoted last year, but how are we going to take the next step.

2 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

We got promoted despite Warne's poor (overall) recruitment. Only 2 of Warne's signings featured in the top 12 last season. The other 10 being 3 academy players, 1 long term servant, and 6 of Ronsenior's signings. If we could redo last season's signings, I wonder how many we still would have signed. Probably only Vickers, Nelson, Wilson, Nyambe, Adams?

Embleton - 52 mins. Returned to parent club
Gayle - 325 mins. Released
John-Jules - 337 mins. Returned to parent club
Blackett- Taylor - 418 mins. Signed permanently this summer
Vickers - 580 mins. Still 2nd choice
Washington - 673 mins. Trying to offload
Fornah - 801 mins. Offloaded
Waghorn - 879 mins. Released
Elder - 903 mins. First choice because we failed to sign a new LWB
Ward - 1092 mins. 3rd choice RB?
Nyambe - 1394 mins. Potentially a starter
Adams - 1434 mins. Signed permanently this summer
Bradley - 1773 mins. Rumoured to be trying to offload

The signings this summer look to be an improvement. It seems like we've actually put more thought into the type of players we want and how they'll fit in. Even then, perhaps we would have been better off putting the £2.5m for Zetterstrom and Adams to other areas instead?

I'm not sure how you can say our record in the league is OK at this point in time. The only metric we have to go off is 3 points from 3 games. Ignoring the impact of points deductions, over the past 10 years, the only teams to stay up with an equal or worse ppg ratio was us (44 points in 20/21, Millwall (44 points, 18/19), Bolton and Reading (43 & 44, 17/18) and Rotherham (46 points, 14/15). 3 games is too soon to judge us on a points basis.

Oh, well done! The 2 most fervent Warne-bashers applauded this. I hope they meant it 😂 

A bit remiss of you to, once again, list Nyambe and Ward as being outside the top 12 when they were out injured for significant periods after being crocked by opposition players. It's likely that both would have made that top 12 were it not for those injuries.