Summer transfer suggestion thread

sage

GK: Daniel Iverson (Leicester loan). Seeems to be lined up and knows Warne from Rotherham. A good age for a keeper

CB: Scott McKenna (released by Forest). Would be an big improvement on Bradley but several other clubs will be after him.

CM: Ollie Norwood (released by Sheff Utd). Got a couple more Championship season in him. Has everything you want from a DM... very good defensively, but also one of the best passers in the league. Maybe Osborn could convince him to join?

CM: Freddie Potts (West Ham loan). Wycombe's player of the season who breaks play up very well. Just as good as Adams defensively, better in the air, and slightly more end product.

CM: Greg Docherty (released by Hull). Decent and experienced cover. Still a good age.

CM: Kenzo Goudmijn (AZ small fee). Probably a risky signing given his low defensive contribution. Would offer us someone slightly different as he drives forward on the ball. Would take over from Norwood as a regular starter once settled.

AM: Karamoko Dembele (released by Brest) one of the best AMs in League 1 last season. A lot of competition for him, but you have to throw your name in the hat given his output for Blackpool.

CF: Ali Al-Hamadi (Ipswich loan). Not good enough for the PL so Ipswich will be looking to loan him out. A good alround CF who will link play and score. Jackson could help persuade him to choose us. Another we could look to sign permanently next summer.

Now we know what we're left with with Sibley gone, along with Collins resigned (as well as Jackson, Yates & Osborn). 

I make it: 
2x goalkeepers
1x left back
1x right-sided CB
1x defensive midfield
1x central midfield (potentially Kenzo Goudmijn)
1x central midfield/attacking midfielder
1x left sided winger, attacker.
1/2x striker

I think we're probably done with players on the right, with: Nyambe, Wilson, Ward, Rooney, Jackson, Barkhuizen & Mendez-Laing. 

Edited by Ambitious

1 hour ago, S8TY said:

Matt Godden gone to Charlton

Good signing for them , I thought he'd be a good signing for us and scored goals in the championship 

He will be 33 this month. 

7 hours ago, Ambitious said:

Now we know what we're left with with Sibley gone, along with Collins resigned (as well as Jackson, Yates & Osborn). 

I make it: 
2x goalkeepers
1x left back
1x right-sided CB
1x defensive midfield
1x central midfield (potentially Kenzo Goudmijn)
1x central midfield/attacking midfielder
1x left sided winger, attacker.
1/2x striker

I think we're probably done with players on the right, with: Nyambe, Wilson, Ward, Rooney, Jackson, Barkhuizen & Mendez-Laing. 

GK - could be 1, could be 2. Vickers is a solid 2nd choice, so it depends on if Warne wants to go with Evans/Thompson as 3rd choice or sign another experienced 'player/coach'.

LWB - we already have Elder, Forsyth (also LCB cover) and now Osborn (also used at CM). I don't see us signing anyone

RCB - Nelson is the clear starter, with Nyambe and Rooney as cover. I don't see us signing one. I do expect a central CB to replace Bradley (rather than Nelson moving into the middle)

LW - I think this'll be covered by Mendez-Laing and Blackett-Taylor. I think the signing will need to be primarily right sided (ideally left footed for variety and can play in the middle), with Jackson (1st backup) and Barkhuizen (reserve). 

34 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

GK - could be 1, could be 2. Vickers is a solid 2nd choice, so it depends on if Warne wants to go with Evans/Thompson as 3rd choice or sign another experienced 'player/coach'.

LWB - we already have Elder, Forsyth (also LCB cover) and now Osborn (also used at CM). I don't see us signing anyone

RCB - Nelson is the clear starter, with Nyambe and Rooney as cover. I don't see us signing one. I do expect a central CB to replace Bradley (rather than Nelson moving into the middle)

LW - I think this'll be covered by Mendez-Laing and Blackett-Taylor. I think the signing will need to be primarily right sided (ideally left footed for variety and can play in the middle), with Jackson (1st backup) and Barkhuizen (reserve). 

All depends on if we are wanting to play with wing backs primarily or not. If we are, he could see Osborn as that player. If not, we will need a left back I think.

Agreed on needing an upgrade on Bradley. We do need 1 or 2 more creative players, some maybe from central midfield, some capable of playing centrally in an advance position - would love Dembele for this.

24 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I should’ve clarified:

we need two goalkeepers, absolutely no doubt. Vickers is clearly number two when fit, but he does have injury problems (I believe one of his hands is heavily subsidised by titanium) so we need a first choice and a Loach replacement. Thompson is very highly thought of, of course, but I think he’s 17(!). It doesn’t make sense to me that we would chance upon not having a third choice goalkeeper - one with plenty of experience and just wants another year or two in the game.

LB/LWB - Osborn will likely start there, but he’s very likely to miss games. Forsyth can’t play LWB in the Championship anymore, he’s more for cover at left sided centre half or in the middle of a back three. Elder, who knows, he’s spent the season pretty much injured and out of form. I just don’t think he can be relied upon. It’s a very fragile group. I also don’t think if you flip to a back four that Osborn can play left back, or at least would be wasted there. It leaves Elder and Forsyth, again, as back four left back options, both of which are unlikely to play an injury hit season and both are questionable (Forsyth more in that position) on championship quality. 

RCB - this was more with the central of a back three player in mind, but I just wanted to put emphasis on that a right sided player would be able to cover Nelson, if he was to get injured, in a back four.

LW - you’re potentially right, NML can play on the right though (as well as a lot of others) so just seems that a left sided winger would be preferable to me, although no doubt whoever we sign will play on both sides - like NML, Barkhuizen, etc. 

19 minutes ago, Srg said:

All depends on if we are wanting to play with wing backs primarily or not. If we are, he could see Osborn as that player. If not, we will need a left back I think.

Agreed on needing an upgrade on Bradley. We do need 1 or 2 more creative players, some maybe from central midfield, some capable of playing centrally in an advance position - would love Dembele for this.

I'll be surprised if Warne goes ffor anything other than a back 3 as his primary formation since we hav ethe players for it.

Even in a back 4, we still have Elder and Forsyth to play LB, so we would probably go with that to start with and sign someone towards the end of the window or in January if we need an improvement.  

5 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

It's probably buried somewhere in this thread, but I hadn't realized West Ham keeper Nathan Trott has signed for FC Copenhagen. Was still hoping we'd be in for him. 

https://www.whufc.com/news/trott-completes-permanent-fc-copenhagen-move

Went for decent money in the end (£1.5m upwards) great move for him, personally too. 

4 hours ago, Srg said:

There really appears to be a feeling across the forum of writing players off before we start the season. Didn't Bradley come to us off a season of captaining Luton to the premier league, but we are writing him off before we kick off our championship season?

I really wish we had a sense of unity in trusting in Warne and getting behind the players that are picked to play for Derby ☹️

33 minutes ago, Big Bad Bob said:

There really appears to be a feeling across the forum of writing players off before we start the season. Didn't Bradley come to us off a season of captaining Luton to the premier league, but we are writing him off before we kick off our championship season?

I really wish we had a sense of unity in trusting in Warne and getting behind the players that are picked to play for Derby ☹️

Don't be silly, there's a fair proportion of folks on here who are never going to trust anyone's judgement apart from their own gleaned from playing Football Manager and FIFA

54 minutes ago, Big Bad Bob said:

Watched him for a season last year and wasn't impressed. This isn't some brand new signing, we've all watched him play. If you think he can do it, then fair play, I don't.

2 hours ago, Big Bad Bob said:

It's not necessarily a case of writing players off, but we have to be realistic. Players don't drop out the Championship to go play in League One unless they have a need to do so we have to be mindful of that. There is a considerable difference in quality, intensity and frankly professionalism required at Championship level.

Some players could well surprise us, others who we anticipate to do well could fall short. What we have to do as a club is ensure that we have enough in the building to retain our league position by the end of it.