Max Bird - stay or go?

dcfcjj

Posted (edited)

I don't really think the style of play will be the driving factor behind his decision in this case, but wouldn't totally disregard it as a factor.

I wouldn't say we 'played through' him as such (because our moments of control and flowing football have still been largely sporadic) but he's played further forward and been more directly involved in some key attacking moments, which I'm sure almost any footballer will love.

However, Warne's football will always require an extra physical effort (especially from the midfielders) and Bird has seen a marked increase in the number of games missed through injury with 3 separate spells of 'weeks out' since Warne came in. Maybe I'm misremembering but he didn't seem to pick up many injuries earlier in his career?

Now you may call coincidence and point at injuries elsewhere but Max is a self driven, self aware and intelligent lad so could potentially be thinking that's his body telling him that the deeper, more controlled and less physically demanding role he'd been playing up to this point (and where he can still have a big influence on games)  works best for him in terms of sustainability?

I'd mainly put it down to living in Bristol with his mates close by though.

Edited by May Contain Nuts

15 minutes ago, sage said:

Players never mention wanting to play for a certain manager when signing...oh wait

They do in the media trained script.

I’m thrilled to be here, it’s a big club, great traditions and whenever I’ve played here the fans have been fantastic.

As soon as I spoke to the manager and heard the project, it was a no brainer.

The ground, facilities, everything about this club says Premier League.

Can’t wait to get started now.

I would prefer the more honest interview.

As soon as I heard Derby wanted me, I thought that would be decent money, got my agent too see what you were willing to pay and soon as I heard, great, that will do me, can get those veneers for the Mrs with that money.

But yeah, it’s great to be here, we’ll see how long I stay for, I know I signed a 3 year deal but I’m hoping after a decent season a few clubs higher up might notice me and I can move on.

Know a few of the lads here and looks like it would be a great piss up on a Tuesday with those lot as well. 

Yo

6 minutes ago, Day said:

They do in the media trained script.

I’m thrilled to be here, it’s a big club, great traditions and whenever I’ve played here the fans have been fantastic.

As soon as I spoke to the manager and heard the project, it was a no brainer.

The ground, facilities, everything about this club says Premier League.

Can’t wait to get started now.

I would prefer the more honest interview.

As soon as I heard Derby wanted me, I thought that would be decent money, got my agent too see what you were willing to pay and soon as I heard, great, that will do me, can get those veneers for the Mrs with that money.

But yeah, it’s great to be here, we’ll see how long I stay for, I know I signed a 3 year deal but I’m hoping after a decent season a few clubs higher up might notice me and I can move on.

Know a few of the lads here and looks like it would be a great piss up on a Tuesday with those lot as well. 

You may be onto something. None of them mention Bubbles 

1 minute ago, sage said:

Yo

You may be onto something. None of them mention Bubbles 

What happened to him anyway? Disappeared like Anya once Jacko died. Bet he’s got a few stories to tell 

39 minutes ago, sage said:

I was there on his debut and whilst he was physically bullied around you could see the ability and quiet determination.

It's the saddest i've been to see a player go since Bobby D.  

Same here

1 hour ago, Srg said:

Going to any Championship club for a certain style of play is just dumb. Managers come and go, styles change quickly. 

I agree. I think Max just felt it was time for a new challenge in a new place. The fact he agreed to a deal that would have been less financially favourable to him than if he'd simply run his contract down so that the club could agree a deal that worked for us is a tribute to his character.

3 hours ago, sage said:

It's the saddest i've been to see a player go since Bobby D.  

Its a decent place to start the conversion this...  as soon as you say 'I do / don't rate' a certain player it becomes an argument.

Lots of posters who I rate seem to love the lad so he must be doing something right.

Personally (wrongly in many people's opinions) I'm not 'emotionally' bothered. Nothing against him - and it was a fairy tale way to end his career here - he just doesn't pull me in like other players do.

Maybe I perceive a casual demeanour, lack of crunching tackle, eagerness to play the safe ball   ... and he's just 'ok'. Not pacey,  or aggressive... he's kinda graceful without enough mouth dropping moments of quality to get me out of my seat.

Adams or Bird - I'm picking Adams all day long. Same with Kane Wilson. 

Quite happy to accept I'm wrong. Just the way I feel.

5 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

Its a decent place to start the conversion this...  as soon as you say 'I do / don't rate' a certain player it becomes an argument.

Lots of posters who I rate seem to love the lad so he must be doing something right.

Personally (wrongly in many people's opinions) I'm not 'emotionally' bothered. Nothing against him - and it was a fairy tale way to end his career here - he just doesn't pull me in like other players do.

Maybe I perceive a casual demeanour, lack of crunching tackle, eagerness to play the safe ball   ... and he's just 'ok'. Not pacey,  or aggressive... he's kinda graceful without enough mouth dropping moments of quality to get me out of my seat.

As long as you're happy.

9 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

I like to watch players who can do things technically that I never could. Not just players who can run faster and further.

Maybe it's because of my job I like watching people develop as people as well as in ability. I think Bird has a higher ceiling than the other midfielders he emerged with.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Returning ram said:

Best season in return of goals and assists ever in Birds career. I think he will probably hope Bristol adapt a a style like Warnes, rather than some of the others he has had to play under 😏

As always you ignore the quality of opposition and that he's an mid-to-upper Championship player playing against the worst opposition he's ever faced in his career.

Edited by May Contain Nuts

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, May Contain Nuts said:

As always you ignore the quality of opposition and that he's a mid-to-upper Championship player playing against the worst opposition he's ever faced in his career.

Remember same things being said about Mcgoldrick, haven't checked his stats but I guess he ripped the league up this year and got his best returns ever give its worst opponents he has ever faced 🤔

Edited by Returning ram
Words

1 hour ago, Chester40 said:

This reminds me of how I felt when Jeff Hendrick left. I thought he was a decent enough player - but I certainly didn't see what others seemed to see. Wasn't really bothered to see him go for the money we got. 

I was gutted when Will Hughes left for about a third of what I thought he was worth.

39 minutes ago, May Contain Nuts said:

As always you ignore the quality of opposition and that he's an mid-to-upper Championship player playing against the worst opposition he's ever faced in his career.

So he's stamped his class on the division despite having to play without an effective DM for much of the season. It's not really a stick to beat him with.

The one thing I would say about Bird is that as good as he is, and as great of a person he clearly is, there was so few games where you ever came away thinking he was the best player on the pitch. 

35 minutes ago, Srg said:

The one thing I would say about Bird is that as good as he is, and as great of a person he clearly is, there was so few games where you ever came away thinking he was the best player on the pitch. 

It depends on who is making the judgement. Its fair to say he doesn't dominate games but he is usually one of our best 3 players in 90% of games.

1 hour ago, Srg said:

I did, many times. But maybe I was favourably disposed towards him...