January Reinforcements

sage

12 minutes ago, MaltRam said:

Oh come on folks. We've got a budget, we're doing our best, we're in the mix and we'll still have a club next year.

Tempted to hibernate until Feb. It's all a bit frantic and needy this transfer window gubbins. Used to be much better before they brought it in.

Unfortunately the window is open and we are 4th 4 points off 1st with a game in hand and in a similar position to last season. We added the bare minimum and faded away and fans are worried of a repeat. The Peterborough game and Bradford game I felt the players looked off the pace and leggy. We still have 20 odd games left with an ageing squad and too look back and see another failed January window will leave little excuses for a second time especially not taking the experience of doing it before. 

as a side note if not everyone wants to debate the transfer window I’d be happy to debate who we all feel of the signings we have made and the squad in general who is likely to be the best human, has the best beard or would win in a food fight session 

Edited by Barney1991

11 minutes ago, Barney1991 said:

Unfortunately the window is open and we are 4th 4 points off 1st with a game in hand and in a similar position to last season. We added the bare minimum and faded away and fans are worried of a repeat. The Peterborough game and Bradford game I felt the players looked off the pace and leggy. We still have 20 odd games left with an ageing squad and too look back and see another failed January window will leave little excuses for a second time especially not taking the experience of doing it before. 

as a side note if not everyone wants to debate the transfer window I’d be happy to debate who we all feel of the signings we have made and the squad in general who is likely to be the best human, has the best beard or would win in a food fight session 

Best Beard “Joe Ledley”

IMG_2710.jpeg

Edited by Dean (hick) Saunders

19 minutes ago, Barney1991 said:

It wasn’t as bad last season it was a bit stronger. They built there team over 2 years and spent good money on that squad but spent it wisely. We currently have a mix between players who are ready for the retirement home soon or lower 20s 

Ipswich were a class apart last season and have gone on from that. They spent a lot on building their squad and spent wisely.

On the other hand Derby have not been allowed to spend one penny since 2019. This summer will be the first transfer window restriction free in 5 years. Whether we can find the finance to spend on players and whether we can spend it wisely, only time will tell. We have made a number of good signings and a few which haven't quite worked so well over the last 5 years, which have cost us nothing in transfer fees. Unlike, the preceding years when millions were wasted.

Maybe a few of the latest signings haven't worked as well as hoped, all of them added together haven't cost us as much as 1 Flo Jo or Blackman or Joz or Bielik.

Would we be happy if we had showed ambition and had spent the money that Charlton have spent this season, only to be 19 points behind where we are now and only 4 points off the relegation places?

8 minutes ago, ram59 said:

Ipswich were a class apart last season and have gone on from that. They spent a lot on building their squad and spent wisely.

On the other hand Derby have not been allowed to spend one penny since 2019. This summer will be the first transfer window restriction free in 5 years. Whether we can find the finance to spend on players and whether we can spend it wisely, only time will tell. We have made a number of good signings and a few which haven't quite worked so well over the last 5 years, which have cost us nothing in transfer fees. Unlike, the preceding years when millions were wasted.

Maybe a few of the latest signings haven't worked as well as hoped, all of them added together haven't cost us as much as 1 Flo Jo or Blackman or Joz or Bielik.

Would we be happy if we had showed ambition and had spent the money that Charlton have spent this season, only to be 19 points behind where we are now and only 4 points off the relegation places?

I’d have been happy to spend as little or as much as possible if it gets us over the line. But if this squad goes up the way it is It would take a big summer turnover and serious money spent to with stand a relenting championship season. I’ve seen some posters note down 10 or so players in this squad they would be happy to see a championship season with. Not a chance we would get obliterated. If push comes to shove id even be happy we didn’t make it tbh and have a good summer building again under no restrictions what so ever and go for it with a squad that could do what Ipswich have done 

Edited by Barney1991

17 minutes ago, Barney1991 said:

Please give the good character thing a rest, it’s well documented by other prominent football people that a person’s character and how they fit into the culture of the team and club matters. It’s not a weird Warne-ism nor is it the clever, witty jibe you and others seem to think.
Sir Alex Ferguson was massive on it, Pep has bombed out players recently such as Cancelo because allegedly his attitude stank, Brendan Rodgers is quoted as saying a player’s character is a crucial factor he looks into before signing him, and Ange Postecoglou was quoted saying this in November 23;

“It’s everything for me,” Postecoglou told TNT Sports about recruiting players with the right character. 

“One wrong character in your dressing room is a lot of problems. I will always forsake the quality of a player for the right character. 

“When you’re working at this level - I know the fees we pay these days are ridiculous - I don’t think there’s a lot of difference between the best quality and the next level, it’s really small. But the character makes the big jump. I put a lot of stock in that.

3 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Please give the good character thing a rest, it’s well documented by other prominent football people that a person’s character and how they fit into the culture of the team and club matters. It’s not a weird Warne-ism nor is it the clever, witty jibe you and others seem to think.
Sir Alex Ferguson was massive on it, Pep has bombed out players recently such as Cancelo because allegedly his attitude stank, Brendan Rodgers is quoted as saying a player’s character is a crucial factor he looks into before signing him, and Ange Postecoglou was quoted saying this in November 23;

“It’s everything for me,” Postecoglou told TNT Sports about recruiting players with the right character. 

“One wrong character in your dressing room is a lot of problems. I will always forsake the quality of a player for the right character. 

“When you’re working at this level - I know the fees we pay these days are ridiculous - I don’t think there’s a lot of difference between the best quality and the next level, it’s really small. But the character makes the big jump. I put a lot of stock in that.

Guessing you have a great sense of humour. It’s called having a laugh and talking through topics while not much has going on. Would you rather I reference a bit more doom and gloom instead. For the contrary having a good character is important especially in terms of team building noting down Nigel cloughs team had it we are just choosing to have a laugh and joke at the fact everyone he mentions a transfer he doesn’t note down if they can actually play football have a great dribble, shot get stuck in he always harps to being a great human 

Just now, Barney1991 said:

Guessing you have a great sense of humour. It’s called having a laugh and talking through topics while not much has going on. Would you rather I reference a bit more doom and gloom instead. For the contrary having a good character is important especially in terms of team building noting down Nigel cloughs team had it we are just choosing to have a laugh and joke at the fact everyone he mentions a transfer he doesn’t note down if they can actually play football have a great dribble, shot get stuck in he always harps to being a great human 

A sense of humour is subjective, I find plenty funny, and enjoy a joke….however the same people repeatedly using the good character comments strikes me as being doom and gloom far more than it is having a laugh, it’s taking a comment that holds some value about the approach to recruiting players who fit the group and culture of the club and using it as a thinly veiled point of ridicule. The fact you term it as “he always harps” betrays far more on your real motivation behind the comments than “just having a laugh” 

9 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Difference is Fergie, Pep, Rodgers and Ange all have a plethora of players to pick from. If their number 1 target is a bad egg then their number 2/3 target will still be a very good footballer. 

If we turn down a gun because he’s a bit of an idiot and then sign a nice guy who’s half the player, I’m not sure the fans will be happy. 

It’s too early to moan about this window. But once again Warne shouldn’t open his mouth until it’s basically a done deal. Saying 2 are close only gets the juices flowing so when it goes belly up people get irritated. 

That said Clowes backed Warne when the chips were down and has been rewarded. I urge him to back him again and get the 2/3 players we need to have a good go at autos.

2 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

A sense of humour is subjective, I find plenty funny, and enjoy a joke….however the same people repeatedly using the good character comments strikes me as being doom and gloom far more than it is having a laugh, it’s taking a comment that holds some value about the approach to recruiting players who fit the group and culture of the club and using it as a thinly veiled point of ridicule. The fact you term it as “he always harps” betrays far more on your real motivation behind the comments than “just having a laugh” 

Cheap jibes have become the 'norm' for some posters. I'm not sure whether they think they are bring clever or funny, most of the time they're neither - of course, in my opinion that is.

Just now, TomTom92 said:

Difference is Fergie, Pep, Rodgers and Ange all have a plethora of players to pick from. If their number 1 target is a bad egg then their number 2/3 target will still be a very good footballer. 

If we turn down a gun because he’s a bit of an idiot and then sign a nice guy who’s half the player, I’m not sure the fans will be happy. 

It’s too early to moan about this window. But once again Warne shouldn’t open his mouth until it’s basically a done deal. Saying 2 are close only gets the juices flowing so when it goes belly up people get irritated. 

That said Clowes backed Warne when the chips were down and has been rewarded. I urge him to back him again and get the 2/3 players we need to have a good go at autos.

I find that an interesting sentiment too. “Warne shouldn’t open his mouth” he’s asked about recruitment, because it’s January, and he passes a comment. I imagine the same people annoyed by him saying something would be just as annoyed if he said nothing, comments along the lines of “Other clubs are signing players and Warne won’t say anything about what we’re doing, we’ll be left behind and it’s all his fault for doing nowt” would be rife. 
It’s not Warne’s job to regulate the behaviour of thousands of individuals, it’s up to those individuals to choose how to act and respond to the information that’s out there. For me I think why get irritated by it? It’s out of our control as fans, I’d rather the hope that we might sign someone and are working on targets through a little bit of info from Warne than be fed silence about the whole process until a player signs. 

7 minutes ago, TomTom92 said:

Surely it's the other way round? Lots more Championship/L1 quality players in the world than CL quality players. Means it's easier if anything to be choosy on character?

3 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

I find that an interesting sentiment too. “Warne shouldn’t open his mouth” he’s asked about recruitment, because it’s January, and he passes a comment. I imagine the same people annoyed by him saying something would be just as annoyed if he said nothing, comments along the lines of “Other clubs are signing players and Warne won’t say anything about what we’re doing, we’ll be left behind and it’s all his fault for doing nowt” would be rife. 
It’s not Warne’s job to regulate the behaviour of thousands of individuals, it’s up to those individuals to choose how to act and respond to the information that’s out there. For me I think why get irritated by it? It’s out of our control as fans, I’d rather the hope that we might sign someone and are working on targets through a little bit of info from Warne than be fed silence about the whole process until a player signs. 

He’s clearly a clever guy and I get the being honest shtick that he does, but when it backfires like it has done about 6 times since he came in it gets a bit tiring. 

He could just say that conversations have been held but there’s plenty of talks to be had before anything gets signed. 

If we end up replicating last January, do you think we’ll get promotion this season? 

2 minutes ago, MaltRam said:

Surely it's the other way round? Lots more Championship/L1 quality players in the world than CL quality players. Means it's easier if anything to be choosy on character?

I’d say signing Wash and Wag suggests differently. I’ll concede not having funds makes the pool smaller but sometimes you need to take a gamble on a airhead if they’ll get the job done.

6 minutes ago, TomTom92 said:

He’s clearly a clever guy and I get the being honest shtick that he does, but when it backfires like it has done about 6 times since he came in it gets a bit tiring. 

He could just say that conversations have been held but there’s plenty of talks to be had before anything gets signed. 

If we end up replicating last January, do you think we’ll get promotion this season? 

He pretty much says this every time he is asked about transfers.  Goes out of his way to say there are no guarantees etc.   

9 minutes ago, TomTom92 said:

But he has said things like that, that’s what I don’t get. Maybe people just stop listening to all of what he says after picking out sound bites. He has regularly explained that he’s after signing a player or players but there are many variables in the process, and sometimes it doesn’t work out.

To answer your question I think there’s potentially enough in this current squad, provided we don’t lose anyone in Jan, to be promoted (probably via the playoffs). If we bolster that with 3 loan players as we did in Jan 2023 then it could help us further, if we signed a couple of quality permanent additions then autos could be on.

I said in the summer there’s enough firepower to score goals when people were lamenting the loss of McGoldrick, and look at that we’re out scoring last season at this same stage with the goals spread around. There’s more depth, cover and balance in the squad this year than there was last year, so we’re already in a stronger position in that sense in my opinion. We’ve won more points than we had at the same stage. We have capable players to come back from injury. It is already not the same situation we found ourselves in last January and there’s plenty of time left for it to improve further before Feb 1st. I don’t feel the angst about it that others seem to, but I guess they’re entitled to feel that way too.