January Reinforcements

sage

Are there any remaining restrictions that could be/would be hampering our ability to be able to sign players at this point?

It is very concerning to hear that we essentially don't have any money to spend. Why is this the case, at this point, if there are no further restrictions?

Have we spent a fee on any player since David Clowes bought the club?

4 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Are there any remaining restrictions that could be/would be hampering our ability to be able to sign players at this point?

It is very concerning to hear that we essentially don't have any money to spend. Why is this the case, at this point, if there are no further restrictions?

Wasn't Fornah a small fee?

But yes it'll be disappointing if no obvious sign of funds are shown by the end of the window.

7 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Who's said we've got no money to spend?

Clowes took over last year where we weren't allowed to spend money on transfer fees, even if we could.

2 minutes ago, TomTom92 said:

Wasn't Fornah a small fee?

But yes it'll be disappointing if no obvious sign of funds are shown by the end of the window.

I believe there was no upfront fee and that a fee will only be paid if we get promoted? I could be wrong!

2 minutes ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

Who's said we've got no money to spend?

Clowes took over last year where we weren't allowed to spend money on transfer fees, even if we could.

I'm reacting to the exact same posts you are...

18 hours ago, Big Trav said:

Have it on good authority that the 2 main targets are Dobra and CBT, but finances are difficult so unless some leave (Smith,Sibley etc) we aren’t getting them, and then it’ll be youngsters on loan and more than likely nearer the end of the window we see movement. Sorry to be a downer 

3 hours ago, Big Trav said:

Those are the 2 players Warne has alluded to. All I’ve been told is that money is tight as we’ve decided to keep Cashin who was planned to be sold.

CBT wants to come to Derby, Warne wants him, Charlton want rid of him. It’s up to Clowes and Pearce to sort the finances out. 

6 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Pretty sure the last player we paid a fee for was Jozwiak, so that would’ve been under Cocu.

Players like Wilson and Fornah I’m pretty sure could end up having us paying fees but that’s performance dependent.

If we’re still in the position where we can only offer performance based incentives then we won’t exactly have the pick of the bunch.

It is concerning if we don’t have any money at all to spend, if the restrictions are gone. Our income as a club should greatly exceed almost everyone in this league, and we haven’t had the chance to overspend for a few years now.

I recall @Big Trav talking about Clowes looking for investment. It may be the case that any spending rests on whether that can happen and when.

Just now, Jimbo Ram said:

My ITK source (Beryl 🍔) tells me the 2 initial forward players are CBT and Smith on loan from Wendies and then a last day of the window attempt to sign Arblaster on loan from Sheffield Utd 😉

TBH that wouldn’t be bad business if we can pull it off 

Just now, Nuwtfly said:

The restriction is the budget which Clowes set and the EFL signed off. 

It could be that we had a bit of wiggle room to sign players, but Warne was hoping to sell one or two players to give him a larger pot of money to use on new signings (we were planning to sell Cashin in the summer) but results since the last window have changed those plans so we no longer want to sell those players. This means a tighter than planned budget.

Let's say we had 5% of our budget left in reserve, that'll only be enough to pay for the wages of 2 top L1 players (each on £10k pw) or just one if a small £250k fee is involved. If we had £1m+ spare in the seasonal budget, then the next question would have been "why didn't we use it to strengthen further in the summer?"

This isn't just a Derby problem. All L1 clubs will have tight budgets this month unless they receive fees for players.

We have been told that no fee was paid (upfront) for any players in the summer. However, we will pay fees for Fornah, Wilson and Washington depending on clauses (promotion, sell-ons, etc)

3 minutes ago, Kernow said:

It is concerning if we don’t have any money at all to spend, if the restrictions are gone. Our income as a club should greatly exceed almost everyone in this league, and we haven’t had the chance to overspend for a few years now.

Would it be concerning? We may earn more than others clubs, but Clowes may have made the decision to run us more sustainably. For example, Charlton have averaged losses of £7.5m since they were relegated from the Championship. Clubs such as Oxford have also taken this season to push the boat out in an attempt to get promoted too.

16 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Nope, and this is why I've pointed out before that I doubt this is Warne's ideal transfer strategy; brought in to oversee a complete rebuild and hasn't been allowed to buy a player yet...

This would all be fine, except for all the comments in summer about having one of the best budgets in the league. I still can't work out why we'd say something like that when what we've seen is that clubs like Charlton can seemingly outbid us for players...

1 minute ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Would it be concerning? We may earn more than others clubs, but Clowes may have made the decision to run us more sustainably. For example, Charlton have averaged losses of £7.5m since they were relegated from the Championship. Clubs such as Oxford have also taken this season to push the boat out in an attempt to get promoted too.

If players like CBT end up being out of reach because of finances then I would find it concerning. Obviously he could easily end up being announced in the next few ways, but it’s not great to hear a manager being downbeat about additions that might make the difference between getting out of this league or not.

I don’t want it look like I’m calling for money to be thrown at getting out of this division recklessly. I’m not, we’ve been there & got the t-shirt. But if we aren’t financially in a position to pip other teams to signings in this league, then it comes down quality of recruitment, which I wouldn’t be overly confident about yet.

Personally if we could get £4.5m for Cashin I’d get him gone (providing we get him back on loan). 

I know if we get promoted we’ll kick ourselves for not keeping him but if he funds the two/three players to get us over the line then IMO it’s worth it.

10 minutes ago, YorkshireRam said:

Nope, and this is why I've pointed out before that I doubt this is Warne's ideal transfer strategy; brought in to oversee a complete rebuild and hasn't been allowed to buy a player yet...

This would all be fine, except for all the comments in summer about having one of the best budgets in the league. I still can't work out why we'd say something like that when what we've seen is that clubs like Charlton can seemingly outbid us for players...

Club board members, players, managers will all have a vague idea of where there club's wage bill compares with other clubs. It doesn't take much effort to guess at the top 5 in the league this season being Charlton, Bolton, Portsmouth, Oxford and ourselves. Clowes saying we have a budget which he thinks is good enough to get out of this league isn't going to make an agent think they can get an extra £2k a week of of us.

6 minutes ago, Kernow said:

If players like CBT end up being out of reach because of finances then I would find it concerning. Obviously he could easily end up being announced in the next few ways, but it’s not great to hear a manager being downbeat about additions that might make the difference between getting out of this league or not.

I don’t want it look like I’m calling for money to be thrown at getting out of this division recklessly. I’m not, we’ve been there & got the t-shirt. But if we aren’t financially in a position to pip other teams to signings in this league, then it comes down quality of recruitment, which I wouldn’t be overly confident about yet.

Clubs at this level are all in the same boat. It's a couple players on frees or loans unless they can sell/release players to give themselves more wiggle room.

14 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Club board members, players, managers will all have a vague idea of where there club's wage bill compares with other clubs. It doesn't take much effort to guess at the top 5 in the league this season being Charlton, Bolton, Portsmouth, Oxford and ourselves. Clowes saying we have a budget which he thinks is good enough to get out of this league isn't going to make an agent think they can get an extra £2k a week of of us.

Didn't quite make the point clearly, more that it built up fan expectations that we'd likely be able to target and sign players we want, rather than having to sift through freebies and loans. I've half wondered when Warne has sounded frustrated about transfers if it's because he expected this to be the case, also? 

Edited by YorkshireRam

21 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Not concerning but alarming that we could miss out on targets who are into the last 6 months of their contracts not going to cost a fortune and could get us out of the league while we are non a great position. What’s he going to do if we go up to the championship and we can’t compete with tinpot league 1 clubs? 

5 minutes ago, Barney1991 said:

Not concerning but alarming that we could miss out on targets who are into the last 6 months of their contracts not going to cost a fortune and could get us out of the league while we are non a great position. What’s he going to do if we go up to the championship and we can’t compete with tinpot league 1 clubs? 

It’s all relative though isn’t it? IF we go up to the championship with a relatively low cost base and sensible expenditure within a controlled budget, having sold Knight and banked the money, we have whatever increased sponsorship and tv revenue to add into the budget after promotion and the spending of fees and wages adjusts in line with that.