Ice hockey

Ilkestonian

1 hour ago, Grumpy Git said:

The bloke that 'tackled' him needs locking-up.

I've seen the video and it's 100% intentional. HTF anyone can describe that as an accident is pathetic.

Looked like he lashed out, kung-fu style, after being knocked off balance. 

However, he was on ice, so maybe it wasn't as deliberate as it looked. 

I've not seen the video and have no intention of doing so.

Very sad news, condolances to his family and loved ones, the Panthers and the wider ice hockey community. From what I understand the ice hockey following in the UK is very much a community.

For a sport that is physical to the point of violence it always amazes me how much the players must have a finely tuned sense of what is and isn't ok.

Really awful. I remember seeing the footage of Clint Malarchuk getting the same injury in an NHL game. You literally see blood spurting into the air with each beat of his heart. Luckily for Malarchuk, his team's physio was a former combat medic and he survived, but suffered from PTSD.

Neck guards will be made mandatory now and, they probably already should've been. These injuries are rare in hockey, but not unheard of. It's not deliberate. No hockey player would do that. However, it's clumsy and irresponsible. You have a responsibility not to put yourself in a situation where a missed hip check will result in your skates flying up at head height.

1 hour ago, Anon said:

Really awful. I remember seeing the footage of Clint Malarchuk getting the same injury in an NHL game. You literally see blood spurting into the air with each beat of his heart. Luckily for Malarchuk, his team's physio was a former combat medic and he survived, but suffered from PTSD.

Neck guards will be made mandatory now and, they probably already should've been. These injuries are rare in hockey, but not unheard of. It's not deliberate. No hockey player would do that. However, it's clumsy and irresponsible. You have a responsibility not to put yourself in a situation where a missed hip check will result in your skates flying up at head height.

"Hip check"!

It was a full-on Kung-fu kick FFS.

4 hours ago, Grumpy Git said:

The bloke that 'tackled' him needs locking-up.

I've seen the video and it's 100% intentional. HTF anyone can describe that as an accident is pathetic.

Spoken like someone who’s never watched a game of Ice Hockey in their life. 

This is truly tragic, and I hope everyone involved gets the help they’ll need to overcome this. 

It is so sad that you can watch the video of this so easily on line. This is someone dying and it's shared and reposted in a click. What a sad indictment of the human species this (the video sharing) is.

I agree with @RadioactiveWaste - not watched it and have no intention to, out of respect for all involved.

Only just seen the video today.

In my opinion, that's an ice hockey version of 'leaving one on' an opposition player. Unfortunately, he's caught his neck as opposed to the other 99% of his body that's protected. A bit dirty for sure, but it wasn't intentional.

RIP Adam Johnson.

I have seen thousands of ice hockey games and I have spend thousands of hours on ice myself. I can say that was an accident. Petgrave tried to tackle a player who managed to slip away from it which caused Petgrave go airborne. You can't control yourself in that situation.

It happens so quick. When you watch it on tv in slow motion again and again it looks so different.

RIP Adam Johnson.

1 hour ago, Grumpy Git said:

So, if I get what IH fans on here are saying, its perfectly reasonable to make a tackle (hip chrck), which if the intended target dodges can subsequently lead to another player getting a fatal injury.

Righto. 😡

You’re sounding proper clueless in this thread, it has to be said. 

13 minutes ago, Srg said:

You’re sounding proper clueless in this thread, it has to be said. 

Fair enough, but keep defending the bloke to your hearts content.

You know what they say about opinions, mine is the bloke was reckless.

To add some balance, I support motorcycle road racing, both as a spectator and small time team sponsor. Most people regard this as the most dangerous sport on the planet.

Edited by Grumpy Git

22 minutes ago, Grumpy Git said:

Fair enough, but keep defending the bloke to your hearts content.

You know what they say about opinions, mine is the bloke was reckless.

To add some balance, I support motorcycle road racing, both as a spectator and small time team sponsor. Most people regard this as the most dangerous sport on the planet.

And if there was a fatal crash in motorcycle road racing, I wouldn’t blindly start saying it was deliberate because I don’t know anything about the sport. 

Having watched Ice Hockey live many times, and witnessed the speed at which the game is played - I would struggle to believe that anyone could deliberately do this. It's like one of those "open-goal misses" you sometimes get in football, where if you'd said to the player, "when this ball is crossed to you, you will be two yards out from goal and I want you to deliberately try and put it over the bar" - they could try 100 times and still wouldn't be able to do it. But in the moment, when acting on instinct alone - anything can and does happen

There was nothing reckless in that tackle. But the fact is that sometimes when players get airborne the blade does a havoc and is often life threatening. Over the decades I have seen few throats cut and also some wrists cut. This was the first time someone died though. Also it has to be mentioned that players have gear that protects from these kind of accidents but often they don't use them if it isn't obligatory by the rules. In Finland the league demands you use gear to protect your throat.

It is also true that tv lies a lot about the pace the players are moving in. It is scary on that ice actually but you just rely everything to be okay. 

I think the fact that the Panthers players have come out in support for Petgrave and criticised the abuse that he has received suggests that those in the sport appreciate the risks at play.

I certainly know that if I didn’t think it was an accident, if it was my teammate, I would be silent on the subject at best, rather than supporting the supposed perpetrator.