Ryder Cup 2023

Anag Ram

It was starting to get a bit nervy with the US dominating the middle of the singles but Fleetwood has just guaranteed 1/2pt to win the Ryder Cup 🏆

I wonder if the Yanks ever review their performance and come to the conclusion that if they ever worked on their team spirit they'd probably win every one...

*And now Lowry has guaranteed at least 1/2pt.  Who is going to get the chance to sink the winning putt.

I think that's the best Ryder Cup performance I can recall. The rankings book has literally gone out the window this week and the Americans, who many called as a shoe-in this weekend, have been well and truly humbled. Rahm and RMac will take the bulk of the plaudits, but there were so many heroic performances across the week. I love this tourney. Sport at its very best IMO.

1 minute ago, Comrade 86 said:

I think that's the best Ryder Cup performance I can recall. The rankings book has literally gone out the window this week and the Americans, who many called as a shoe-in this weekend, have been well and truly humbled. Rahm and RMac will take the bulk of the plaudits, but there were so many heroic performances across the week. I love this tourney. Sport at its very best IMO.

Its the best team event imho, made more remarkable (by the Europeans at least) due to the fact that its largely a solo sport and you're playing against your teammates most weeks.  The emotion from Rory at the end of his round bought a lump to the throat. 

15 minutes ago, maxjam said:

Its the best team event imho, made more remarkable (by the Europeans at least) due to the fact that its largely a solo sport and you're playing against your teammates most weeks.  The emotion from Rory at the end of his round bought a lump to the throat. 

You're in good company. Quite a few tough guys out there welling up, I thought! It is emotive, that's for sure.

The away leg should be a tad keenly contested, I reckon. Already quite excited for that 🤣

44 minutes ago, Comrade 86 said:

The away leg should be a tad keenly contested, I reckon. Already quite excited for that 🤣

Haha indeed.

I don't mind the crowd being raucous and partisan but when the (American) players and caddies interfere with shots before they have been taken it leaves a bad taste.  Very happy we got the job done 🙂 

1 hour ago, Comrade 86 said:

Great team performance but Medinah still the best win.

8 hours ago, maxjam said:

I wonder how many will remember this in the morning...

A few beers sunk and a few shots downed 😁 and I'd wager Shane Lowrey was the cheer leader for getting the bears in, Listening to the yanks press conference you could hear the noise in the background from either players or supporters...always nice to beat the yanks...image.png.9aa6d5ce03d2978a1bb33712003bd701.png

19 minutes ago, The Last Post said:

A few beers sunk and a few shots downed 😁 and I'd wager Shane Lowrey was the cheer leader for getting the bears in, Listening to the yanks press conference you could hear the noise in the background from either players or supporters...always nice to beat the yanks...image.png.9aa6d5ce03d2978a1bb33712003bd701.png

For once, turning up late for a contest in Europe didn't do them any favours.

The yanks will blame the captaincy but there was 2 problems, in my mind, to blame:

1. nearly the whole American team hadn't played in a month, and it completely showed on the first day

2. not one single American player had played the course before the practice rounds. None of them bothered to play the Italian Open in the years prior to the tournament to prepare for it.

Great performance - Hovland man of the tournament for me, especially after he underperformed at Whistling Straights. Great show from Bob McIntyre as well, who many had written off as a weak link. 

Agree with all said above by @Srg but the team spirit wasn't there either. Cantlay played exceptionally well, was probably their best player, but when the whole vibe from their team is about whether or not he wears his cap or whether he thinks they should be paid something is wrong. He should have been taken to one side, told to put his hat on and keep his views to himself till the event was over.

Only downside was that the European fans sunk to the same level as the Americans. It is not going to 'get in the hole' on a par four and booing players is just offside, at any time.

And as for Cantlay's caddy, Joe Le Cava, he should be told to stay at home next time. His behaviour was truly pathetic.

Anyway, on to the Sanderson Farms Championship next weekend - I have no doubt you will all tune in....

41 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

Agree with all said above by @Srg but the team spirit wasn't there either. Cantlay played exceptionally well, was probably their best player, but when the whole vibe from their team is about whether or not he wears his cap or whether he thinks they should be paid something is wrong. He should have been taken to one side, told to put his hat on and keep his views to himself till the event was over.

😛

On 02/10/2023 at 11:34, BaaLocks said:

Anyway, on to the Sanderson Farms Championship next weekend - I have no doubt you will all tune in....

Unlikely, I don't have a TV Licence.  I had to force myself to go to the pub all weekend to watch the Ryder Cup 👀

Other than the thrill of the live action, you can catch up with the best bits of virtually any sporting event moments after its finished on youtube.  Day 1 of The Sanderson Farms Championships for example!