Current points total compared to previous Div 3 seasons

SamUltraRam

Just now, Curtains said:

How can you have .

You don’t enjoy the football

I didn't say I didn't enjoy the game.

I said I agreed with the all the points you listed that Eric Steele made tonight on Radio Derby. If he made any others I didn't hear them. 

I've already posted on Saturday to say I enjoyed the game.

I enjoyed the goals, the way we defended, the way the fans got behind the team, the fact that once we got the subs on I thought there would only be one winner, the chat with other fans before and after the game, the solidarity the team showed in difficult circumstances as they must have been affected by their team mate suffering so.

That doesn't mean I don't expect the team to improve by Christmas.

(I also enjoyed walking on Hadrian's Wall, lots of pub meals, Carlisle cathedral, friendly locals, getting soaked - all part of why I enjoyed the weekend!) 

53 minutes ago, angieram said:

I said I agreed with the all the points you listed that Eric Steele made tonight on Radio Derby. If he made any others I didn't hear them. 

I enjoyed the goals, the way we defended, the way the fans got behind the team, the fact that once we got the subs on I thought there would only be one winner, the chat with other fans before and after the game, the solidarity the team showed in difficult circumstances as they must have been affected by their team mate suffering so.

(I also enjoyed walking on Hadrian's Wall, lots of pub meals, Carlisle cathedral, friendly locals, getting soaked - all part of why I enjoyed the weekend!) 

She made me drive here😂

IMG_2416.jpeg

7 hours ago, SamUltraRam said:

13 points from 8 games is more than any of our last 3 third division seasons

2022/23 - 11 points

1985/86 - 10 points

1984/85 - 11 points

Just imagine what is possible when we start playing well 

The question is not « when » but « if ». Nothing so far makes me certain that we will play any decent stuff. At least with this « philosophy » anyway. Would love it to be true, but just don’t see it happening tbh, not based on what I have seen so far 😟

Edited by DanS1992

I think it only further highlights how dog awful this league really is.

We don’t need to play well to beat half the teams in League One. We can actually play crap yet still have enough to claim three points against the likes of Carlisle, Burton and Fleetwood.

But without sounding like a broken record, our promotion aspirations will come down to games against the better teams.

Whether that is to get top two or go up in the playoffs. 

So far we have played Oxford, Bolton, Pompey, Posh and Wigan. Five likely top 10 sides. We have taken just five points. Replicate this throughout the season and we will be borderline top six even if we win 75% of the games against bottom half opposition.

9 hours ago, i-Ram said:

Possibly because you are.

I have seen the Rams perform worse personally, but I have never been so devoid of interest before. Perhaps it’s my age; more important things in life, etc.

Maybe last time we were this bad I was 10 or 11 and football was relatively new. The relegation scraps were good then. Oh and we signed Bobby Davison.

8 hours ago, angieram said:

Sounds like a good weekend unfortunately I can keep telling my missus she needs to work a few weekends extra while I trot off to Carlisle to watch Derby.

14 hours ago, SamUltraRam said:

13 points from 8 games is more than any of our last 3 third division seasons

2022/23 - 11 points

1985/86 - 10 points

1984/85 - 11 points

Just imagine what is possible when we start playing well 

14 hours ago, SamUltraRam said:

We've also scored more goals than the last 3 third division seasons

2023/24 - 14 goals ( despite us appearing to be 'shot shy' )

We've actually scored in every game this season

2022/23 - 7 goals

1985/86 - 11 goals

1984/85 - 10 goals

I think these stats show how the digital age and money in football has increased the pressure and expectation, and reduced the patience in football fans in general.  In our last spell at this level in the mid-80s it was only 10 years or so earlier that we were in the top 4 teams in Europe, league champions for the 2nd time, beaten Real Madrid 4-1 and been on the verge of a league and cup double.  Yet there we were in the 3rd tier.  Would Arthur have survived in this day and age with that record?

12 hours ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

So what you’re saying is we’ve had a better start than last season? Wow!! The world is ending according to some on here yet we’ve started better than last season. And this despite not playing to the level we want or the manager wants. Talk about an overreaction from some quarters of the fan base. 

It is called 'Entitlement' Unfortunately it is the norm these days

13 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

What nonsense.

Beating another team that happens to be the better team for 20 minutes and has the better chances in the second half isn’t the definition of fortune. They were better but not good enough to score more than one before we netted four times. They had the better chances but not good enough to convert more than one chance into a goal.

The definition of fortune is when something happens beyond the control of either team. For example, a heavily deflected goal or an unjustified sending off both of which happened to us at Bolton. Peterborough’s failure to score more than two goals in response to our four wasn’t down to luck (from my recollection) is was down to either their poor finishing or our defending being good enough to avoid conceding. 

The fact that a 95% or 50% or 25% good play/poor defending (near miss) counts as 0 but a 100% as 1 is what is beyond the teams' control and creates the luck element. It's the equivalent of a league where a team reaching 10 points first gets to keep these and the rest with 8 or 9 reset to zero, again there is nothing "beyond their control" but the table would be a joke, with a host of lucky-unlucky teams with unrepresentative tallies.

3 hours ago, ap04 said:

The fact that a 95% or 50% or 25% good play/poor defending (near miss) counts as 0 but a 100% as 1 is what is beyond the teams' control and creates the luck element. It's the equivalent of a league where a team reaching 10 points first gets to keep these and the rest with 8 or 9 reset to zero, again there is nothing "beyond their control" but the table would be a joke, with a host of lucky-unlucky teams with unrepresentative tallies.

I’ve read this several times and still can’t make any sense of it. 

How do you calculate a 95%, 50% or 25% of a missed chance is down to poor play or good defending? If it’s a shot off target (whether by 10 yards or a few inches) it is technically not down to luck (unless I guess, the ball hit a divot or something just as the player takes a shot but I don’t think anyone is claiming that happened at Peterborough).The shot was simply off target. If some desperate/good defending prevents a shot on target or blocks a shot (even a goal line clearance) is technically good defending not luck.

Also, how is how much of a missed chance is down to luck rather than poor play/good defending is the equivalent of the first team to reach 10 points gets to keep them whilst the other teams are set to zero? You have completely lost me on that one.

Edited by Tamworthram

19 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

I’ve read this several times and still can’t make any sense of it. 

How do you calculate a 95%, 50% or 25% of a missed chance is down to poor play or good defending? If it’s a shot off target (whether by 10 yards or a few inches) it is technically not down to luck (unless I guess, the ball hit a divot or something just as the player takes a shot but I don’t think anyone is claiming that happened at Peterborough).The shot was simply off target. If some desperate/good defending prevents a shot on target or blocks a shot (even a goal line clearance) is technically good defending not luck.

Also, how is how much of a missed chance is down to luck rather than poor play/good defending is the equivalent of the first team to reach 10 points gets to keep them whilst the other teams are set to zero? You have completely lost me on that one.

Edit. I do concede that a shot on target could be accidentally deflected (e.g. off a defenders backside when they weren’t even looking at the ball) of deflected into the goal by a similar means. Both of which could be considered as good/bad luck but again, how would you calculate a % and is there any suggestion anything like this happened against Posh other than one of Waggy’s goals that I have already accepted had an element of luck about it?