Is expectation too high .

Curtains

11 minutes ago, Curtains said:

How can you play the beautiful game trying to get out of Div 1 with crap refs that let cloggers win 

8 minutes ago, Curtains said:

The whole point about getting out this Div is play the Warne way for the Division.    Fancy Dan football won’t work.  
That’s why I say expectations are maybe too high for the beautiful game 

Refereeing decisions going against us has nothing to do with what sort of opposition we face.

Even so, most league one teams aren't really full of 'cloggers' anymore.

There are more teams now who try to play good (or 'fancy dan') football than teams who who play rough.

League one in evolving - what if 'the Warne way for the Division' is indicative of a style being left in the dirt?

What if we spend 3 years getting things perfect for Warne, only to find that his methods are outdated, and instead of coming up against the cloggers, we are the cloggers?

20 minutes ago, Curtains said:

The whole point about getting out this Div is play the Warne way for the Division.    Fancy Dan football won’t work.  
That’s why I say expectations are maybe too high for the beautiful game 

What most of us have been trying to work out is, just what is the Warne Way then @Curtains?

Edited by RoyMac5

11 minutes ago, BondJovi said:

Let us not forget that for the first time since Lampard, a manager has had a full preseason with no behind the scenes excuses, no covid cutting it all short. Seeing as we didn't make the play offs we had more prep time than some of the other teams! But yes, clearly a seriously complicated tactical set up...

See, now I'm not sure if you knew my post was said with a large dose of irony or not, and whether you're just carrying that on or you thought I was being serious?

2 minutes ago, Kokosnuss said:

Refereeing decisions going against us has nothing to do with what sort of opposition we face.

Even so, most league one teams aren't really full of 'cloggers' anymore.

There are more teams now who try to play good (or 'fancy dan') football than teams who who play rough.

League one in evolving - what if 'the Warne way for the Division' is indicative of a style being left in the dirt?

What if we spend 3 years getting things perfect for Warne, only to find that his methods are outdated, and instead of coming up against the cloggers, we are the cloggers?

Have you ever thought you are bashing your head against a brick wall.  I love your persistence Roy but it won’t have any effect on Clowes or Warne or your enjoyment of watching Derby 

Try getting behind the lads lol

5 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

What most of us have been trying to work out is, just what is the Warne Way then @Curtains?

Well I think he’s trying to build a squad to get us promoted.  I for one am happy with his signings .

I think you will be proved wrongly and we will get Top 2 and then I will just 🤐 quietly be ever so satisfied as will Paul Warne. 

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I enjoy many styles of play, not just what we had under Rosenior, including the more defensive style of play we have under Rowett. What we sometimes get under Warne can hardly be described as football.

Stats are the reason Brighton are now in Europe and Brentford are a top half Championship team. Arguably the two clubs the majority of our fanbase would like to emulate. Some people enjoy talking about stats,  others don't. As you're someone who doesn't, the simple solution is to ignore the posts from those who do because I won't stop posting them.

No , using stats for transfers are PART of the reason they are there , there are many other factors and that’s the bit we butt heads on 

1 hour ago, Chris_Martin said:

Arnold Schwarzenegger I Give Up GIF by Jerology

I've already answered the points you've just made if you want to read my previous posts. 

I've never once claimed bolton were the new man city.

Bolton are actually 4 points ahead, not 1.

If you read my post you will see that I clearly said take away the Homer ref ten man debacle it’s 1 point and they have beat us at they’re place and yet to come to derby at which point we may well be more settled and in good form ,

you included Bolton in some div one sides that you say are far superior to us in football terms , I took up the batten and pointed out that what you say is far far from the truth , do I want us to become as good as Bolton on the pitch ? Do I buggery 

1 hour ago, Chris_Martin said:

so your saying we can consistently have bad stats for and against and over the course of a season we'll be absolutely fine. And your argument for this is, "because stats often mean bugger all"

🤣🤣🤣 

what stats do you mean consistently bad ?

Possession? often means bugger all 

xg stats ? Often means bugger all 

ect ect ect 

goals scored v goals conceded ? Means everything , in fact it’s the only thing that actually matters

points won? Means everything 

stats can only really tell you what you already know and can see with your own eyes 

54 minutes ago, BondJovi said:

Let us not forget that for the first time since Lampard, a manager has had a full preseason with no behind the scenes excuses, no covid cutting it all short. Seeing as we didn't make the play offs we had more prep time than some of the other teams! But yes, clearly a seriously complicated tactical set up...

To answer the original question.

No. Expectation should be top 2. In our owners words our budget is good enough to get us out of this league. We have appointed a promotion expert from this league, who himself saw last season as a failure. If the budget was tighter than believed, we should have been wise and chosen a formation that requires the least investment from what we have. But nevermind.  We are the big fish in this pond.

My expectation is top two , will be ok ish with play offs , unlike some I’m not phased by how we’ve started , the only question is whether warne is phased by how we’ve started and can he handle the obvious pressure that brings at a club like derby and fans like me with expectations 

10 minutes ago, Archied said:

ect ect ect 

goals scored v goals conceded ? Means everything , in fact it’s the only thing that actually matters

stats can only really tell you what you already know and can see with your own eyes 

Oh come on. Even you must realise that if we are consistently expected to concede more goals than we are expected to score, it is just not sustainable over a season.

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

What makes us so special? Only 6 teams made fewer signings than us: Bolton (8), Cambridge(7), Exeter (9), Fleetwood (8), Lincoln (10), Northampton (6). Without checking, I imagine most clubs in the league have used their new signings more than we have too. So why do our players need time to gel, whereas other teams don't?

Nothing makes us so special, and sometimes it falls together in one moment - happy days. Look, I don't question it's been far from the greatest of starts but to be sharpening the pitchforks after twelve hours of football is just not the approach I would take. Especially when the first half (OK - the second half of the first half, only 20mins, I get it) of the Posh game was as good as I have seen us play for a long, long time.

8 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

Nothing makes us so special, and sometimes it falls together in one moment - happy days. Look, I don't question it's been far from the greatest of starts but to be sharpening the pitchforks after twelve hours of football is just not the approach I would take. Especially when the first half (OK - the second half of the first half, only 20mins, I get it) of the Posh game was as good as I have seen us play for a long, long time.

It's not 12 hours though is it. We've been in decline probably since February. Warne's signings have if anything made us even worse

35 minutes ago, Archied said:

ect ect ect 

Here's some stats. We should have had 3, maybe 4 penalties. One given. They should have had 0 penalties but were given one for a foul that was outside the box. Their other goal took a lucky deflection. They couldn't have complained, despite all their possession, if we'd come away with a 3-0 or 3-1 win. Red card has since been rescinded. Ref was crap. Same bloke who gave Plymouth the penalty at theirs last season. 

8 minutes ago, Chris_Martin said:

It's not 12 hours though is it. We've been in decline probably since February. Warne's signings have if anything made us even worse

They haven't though. From February to the end of the season we averaged 1.37 points per game and are currently running at 1.5 - not great and probably nowhere near enough to make the playoffs. It's still early days and by the end of October we should probably get a better indication as to how the season will pan out.

3 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

They haven't though. From February to the end of the season we averaged 1.37 points per game and are currently running at 1.5 - not great and probably nowhere near enough to make the playoffs. It's still early days and by the end of October we should probably get a better indication as to how the season will pan out.

What was the average ppg before February? I'm guessing a lot higher than 1.37, so therefore we have declined.