v Oxford United (H) Match Thread

Kernow

6 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

But it was SBs poor header that ended up with Nelson. And whilst it was a poor pass there was plenty of defensive players between them and the goal. Why didn't we defend better, SB and Cash were both in the same place.

The defence is an absolute shambles and was all night. We are so standoffish. It’s almost like a U10’s training session where you tell the defence to not engage to stand off. Infact my lad is U10 and they would defend better than that. No pace, legs gone, no understanding of the style, burnt out blah blah blah take your pick. 

12 minutes ago, MadAmster said:

Neither has Cash this season, in all honesty.

Cashin can't play in a 3 on the left too slow he's getting targeted at the moment fozzy is better there put cash in centre rest Bradley for now and tell nelson to stop thinking he's Baresi with the suicide passes into the middle 

1 hour ago, DCFC Kicks said:

Why is Bird wanted by Championship clubs then? and Hourihane, who rejected Championship offers to sign for us. 

The problem is they're playing in a flat 5 in midfield. They need a CDM, or Bird should play CDM,  so they can get forward more. Hourihanes good a scoring from range and its being wasted.

Hourihane was also released by Swansea 

9 minutes ago, 21CSchizoidRam said:

at least the Sarina and the Lionesses have brought us some joy today.  That is what football is about. Not this lower tier kick about that we have to endure.

Well…. I get what you say but… Unfortunately this lower tier kick about IS what football is about for us

2 hours ago, jameso said:

Hourihane was voted one of the league’s best midfielders by his League One peers so I do wonder if I’m missing something. He’s obviously got quality but keeps it to himself too much!

I don’t think Bird is considered one of the best at present, but he could be, and he has started well this season.

I believe voted on by previous reputation rather than actual contribution. Yes, can take a good free kick but I’m convinced that our weak midfield comes from him…. He’s supposed to be the controlling ball player…. He isn’t. 

3 hours ago, jameso said:

Hourihane was voted one of the league’s best midfielders by his League One peers so I do wonder if I’m missing something. He’s obviously got quality but keeps it to himself too much!

I don’t think Bird is considered one of the best at present, but he could be, and he has started well this season.

It’s all ifs and maybees. The pair of them should be ashamed of their collective performances 

20 minutes ago, Somersall Ram said:

It’s all ifs and maybees. The pair of them should be ashamed of their collective performances 

I don't know how far back you're going with that comment but, if you're limiting it to this season, I have to disagree re Bird. He's one of a very limited few who have done themselves justice with their performances.

Edited by Guest

35 minutes ago, jameso said:

I don't know how far back you're going with that comment but, if you're limiting it to this season, I have to disagree re Bird. He's one of a very limited few who have done themselves justice with their performances.

You’re having a laugh. If you think bird’s performances this season are good then you should have to specsavers 

22 minutes ago, Somersall Ram said:

You’re having a laugh. If you think bird’s performances this season are good then you should have to specsavers 

OK, while I'm on my way there, indulge me: are you saying Bird has put in zero good performances so far this season?

By the way, just checking - do you wear an eye patch over both eyes during matches? 😜

As I heard Romesh Ranganathan say today , hope is a p**** in disguise.  For me, a summer (?) of hope has rapidly deflated to reveal an ugly mess. In that sense, it feels very similar to the summer Cocu and Co. rolled in, because the difference between the expectation that had built and the grim reality once the season started was huge. Many differences in tbe context of course, and the scope of those expectations.

Others have given detailed observations about the concerns about the individual players, system, tactics etc, so I won't repeat.

I suppose my point is that after a humbling reset we are again in shock at how a long preparation period that promised so much has achieved seemingly very little and in fact we may be starting again with formation, tactics etc.

We are supposed to be a stable club intent on progress. Its baffling how we got here.

Compare this to, say Reading, who are a chaotic basket case and have started well and seem to be recruiting as well or better. Comparison is the thief of joy of course.

Have the club mis-managed expectations? They need to sell us the dream to some extent of course, but this seems a spectacular shambles.

Hopefully, all will become clear over time and good honest people will be open to their mistakes and rectify them. 

4 hours ago, Thameram said:

Cashin can't play in a 3 on the left too slow he's getting targeted at the moment fozzy is better there put cash in centre rest Bradley for now and tell nelson to stop thinking he's Baresi with the suicide passes into the middle 

Playing on the left in a 3 isn't the reason he's hitting so many poor passes, though, is it?

22 hours ago, Chris_Martin said:

yes. 

under rosenior it actually felt like he/we was improving and building towards something. we had a style of play, knew what we were doing, decent to watch, and generally felt we were moving in the right direction. Rosenior was also able to recruit good footballers due to his reputation and was widely respected in the game. Was very well spoken, and seemed quite clever tactically. Not only that but he deserved longer in charge after everything him and wayne did for the club the previous 12 months.

Sadly I disagree. I liked Liam, would have been comfortable if he had kept the job - he would have done no better or worse than Warne at this low point; but he was really Cocu remastered. Too many Championship players and L1 players are not consistent enough to play dreamboat football. Yes, if you have all the time in the world and an academy full of eager gifted lads you could do it. But we haven’t !

My personal Jury is still out on Warne. Pre season over 2 home games I saw players and a team playing variable exciting skilled football against quality opponents. Regardless of results we played well, we’re enjoyable to watch. We looked right. I haven’t felt so optimistic for a long while. What has happened over the last 3 / 4 games has left me totally confused. I think Warne must feel the same - his very unusual, rabbit in headlights post match interview showed that very clearly. 

just hope Ward and Max aren’t badly injured. Very nervous about Saturday, it could get messy.