Ryan Woods - gone Bristol Rovers

DCFC1388

14 minutes ago, Macintosh said:

I'm sorry, but am I the only one that finds it amazing that many here have no football knowledge at all? Who's Sonny Bradley, never heard of him I've read. Curtis Nelson where does he play? This Conor Washington we've signed, is he any good? Ryan Woods – you couldn't miss him with his ginger hair and should know that Brentford paid a million for him from Shrewsbury when they got promoted into the Championship, he'll have played 20 times against Derby. The younger here, I thought they lived their life playing Football Manager and knew every footballer in the world.

I know him well and for many seasons said he was the type of player we needed to stitching the midfield together, keeping the ball moving but I don't think he's the player he was or what we need now.

You listed some players, all of who I knew, but missed an important fact. They all replaced older players who had left the club. Selling Bird and replacing him with Woods seems to me to be the wrong thing to do.

22 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Times have changed. Back in late 90s and early 00s I would know every single player from every single premier league club, thanks to sticker albums, match of the day, football focus,;football italia on TV...etc etc.

Now I'm ashamed to say, j would struggle to name more than 10 players who play for England and 10 is pushing it. If it isn't derby I ain't interested any more.

So, if there was a thread on here saying we are signing strikers Chuba Akpom from Boro, Viktor Gyökeres from Coventry and Carlton Morris from Luton, you'd have to look them up? Or if Levi Colwill got called into to the England squad, you'd have to Wiki him?

3 minutes ago, Macintosh said:

So, if there was a thread on here saying we are signing strikers Chuba Akpom from Boro, Viktor Gyökeres from Coventry and Carlton Morris from Luton, you'd have to look them up? Or if Levi Colwill got called into to the England squad, you'd have to Wiki him?

Didn't it work out for him at Sporting Lisbon then?

23 minutes ago, Gladram said:

I know him well and for many seasons said he was the type of player we needed to stitching the midfield together, keeping the ball moving but I don't think he's the player he was or what we need now.

You listed some players, all of who I knew, but missed an important fact. They all replaced older players who had left the club. Selling Bird and replacing him with Woods seems to me to be the wrong thing to do.

If you put your financial hat on, though, that Bird has said he is interested joining Hull, that in 12 months we'd get no fee, it would make more sense. Especially if Woods, having been told he can leave 12 months into a three-year contract will drop down a division. He could have the same influence as McGoldrick did, but could also be another Blackman. Right now, if Bird goes, the two players I seen suggested, Tom Davies or Ryan Woods would be a great fit, on paper.

12 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Like Liam Thompson but with fewer first team goals over the past 6 years, less versatile, and less mobile

Come on, he’s light years better than Thompson. Was a £5m player not too long ago. 

is probably not the legs that we need but think is a decent dm. We possibly need someone a bit more forward thinking than him though.

15 minutes ago, Macintosh said:

Never heard of Carlton Morris, Gykores plays for Sporting Lisbon...

I've heard of Chuba Akpom.

Levi Colwill, genuinely have no idea who he is?

29 minutes ago, nogbad van 50 said:

Didn't it work out for him at Sporting Lisbon then?

Having been in New Zealand for three weeks and only getting back on Sunday, I have missed that bit of news. But it made little difference to the point made.

17 hours ago, Gladram said:

4 or 5 season's ago he would of been a great signing. Now he would be a typical Derby signing, picking a player up well passed his peak. Yes I know he's onlt 29 but he's not the player he was.

He’s a shadow of the player he was at Brentford he’s lost his way and they are taking the p*** offering him in any Bird deal.

24 minutes ago, Rich3478 said:

Come on, he’s light years better than Thompson. Was a £5m player not too long ago. 

is probably not the legs that we need but think is a decent dm. We possibly need someone a bit more forward thinking than him though.

He may have been a £5m signing when Rowett was splashing the cash upon Stoke's relegation, but there's a reason they loaned him out for 18 months after only 1 year with the club before letting him leave for free. Then Birmingham offloaded him after just 1 year, now Hull are trying to do the same.

Last season, he made 3.0 defensive actions and 1.5 offensive actions per 90, had a 33% win rate from 2.3 aerial duels.
In comparison, last season Thompson made 4.7 defensive actions and 2.8 offensive actions per 90, and had a win rate of 61% of 2.3 aerial duels. When in the Championship, his figures were 3.1, 1.2 and 23% of 2.1.

How exactly is Woods "light years better" than Thompson?

35 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

He may have been a £5m signing when Rowett was splashing the cash upon Stoke's relegation, but there's a reason they loaned him out for 18 months after only 1 year with the club before letting him leave for free. Then Birmingham offloaded him after just 1 year, now Hull are trying to do the same.

Last season, he made 3.0 defensive actions and 1.5 offensive actions per 90, had a 33% win rate from 2.3 aerial duels.
In comparison, last season Thompson made 4.7 defensive actions and 2.8 offensive actions per 90, and had a win rate of 61% of 2.3 aerial duels. When in the Championship, his figures were 3.1, 1.2 and 23% of 2.1.

How exactly is Woods "light years better" than Thompson?

I have no idea what those stats mean to be honest, Thompson winning 61% of aerial duels tells me they’re absolute nonsense though. Is about 5 foot tall. 

Woods has obviously declined somewhat but I’d be amazed if Thompson ever plays even half the amount of championship games woods has. Woods still played 30 games the last two seasons in the championship.

34 minutes ago, Rich3478 said:

I have no idea what those stats mean to be honest, Thompson winning 61% of aerial duels tells me they’re absolute nonsense though. Is about 5 foot tall. 

Woods has obviously declined somewhat but I’d be amazed if Thompson ever plays even half the amount of championship games woods has. Woods still played 30 games the last two seasons in the championship.

You're making your entire argument on what Woods has done in the past. We're talking about ability right now and there's not a chance I would choose Woods over Thompson in our squad, never mind considering selling Bird in exchange for him.

Aerials won tells you a lot when he's out performing other CM options, including Hourihane and Sibley. Knight would win more headers than any of our mids, despite not being much taller than Thompson. A lack of height doesn't mean you can't win a lot of headers.

Games played tells you nothing. Minutes don't either, but Thompson played 1525 Championship minutes when we were in the Championship, whilst Woods only played 1461 last season.

Always thought he was a really good player when he was at Brentford - reminds me a bit of Butterfield who when he was at Barnsley gave one of the best performances I've seen from a visiting midfield playe. However, both seemed to go downhill fast once they hit their mid-twenties when you would have expected them to be hitting their prime then too many moves in only a few years.

Probably not one for us.

40 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

Always thought he was a really good player when he was at Brentford - reminds me a bit of Butterfield who when he was at Barnsley gave one of the best performances I've seen from a visiting midfield playe. However, both seemed to go downhill fast once they hit their mid-twenties when you would have expected them to be hitting their prime then too many moves in only a few years.

Probably not one for us.

That's got me thinking ... is Butterfield available ? Seeing as we are getting the band back together ❤️ 

17 minutes ago, bucktwo said:

That's got me thinking ... is Butterfield available ? Seeing as we are getting the band back together ❤️ 

I think he's set to be playing for Scunny in the national league north, so he might be out of our price range.

13 minutes ago, Kokosnuss said:

I can honestly say I've also never heard of either of these players.

Carlton Morris was a standout for Barnsley before getting promoted with Luton.

Colwill plays for Chelsea but has just come off a breakout year on loan at Brighton and winning the under 21s Euros.

These Warne doubters eh - clearly lacking in knowledge! 😁