Football Manager 23

JakeDCFC

After looking around I couldn't seem to find a thread on FM or FM 23 so I decided to start one, if I somehow missed it I welcome a mod to move this over there haha. Anyway, started a Derby save and I am in 2029 now and have won the FA cup the previous season, my first piece of silverware and am heading into the next season now. If anyone is curious about the 7 or so seasons in between I can post about them but figured I would start here. 

I won League One at the first attempt and was top of the Championship before I moved house and kinda forgot about it 😛 I normally put 100s of hours into FM every year but only have around 20 in FM23.

I probably wait until FM24 before I get back into it now - have you heard its the 'love letter to fans' edition?  Major graphics and UI overhaul for the one after that.

https://www.footballmanager.com/news/future-football-manager

I don't play a ton of fm now but started a save as Northampton. I'm currently in the year 2026-2027 second in the championship with 58 points from 26 games after losing the playoff final in 2025-2026 to miss out on three consecutive promotions. Ditched the 4-4-2 diamond and 4-3-3 wide to play a 3-2-2-1-2 dynamic system. Sold 2 players for a combined 8 million to bring in 9 newcomers to bolster my squad from a paltry 19 to 26. 

On 12/07/2023 at 12:15, maxjam said:

I won League One at the first attempt and was top of the Championship before I moved house and kinda forgot about it 😛 I normally put 100s of hours into FM every year but only have around 20 in FM23.

I probably wait until FM24 before I get back into it now - have you heard its the 'love letter to fans' edition?  Major graphics and UI overhaul for the one after that.

https://www.footballmanager.com/news/future-football-manager

Yeah League One was a breeze for me as well, first season in the championship I had like no ability to improve the team much and had to research more into tactics to make sure I stayed up and ended up finishing 10th! I ended up then selling a couple players for a good sum and upgraded a bit and easily won the championship in the 3rd season followed by a terrible first season in the prem finishing on 23 points (at least it was a better showing that 07-08 though). Immediately hopped back into the division and have been a mainstay for a few seasons and just won the FA cup. Last couple weeks have been incredibly busy for me but the season after the FA cup has started off well with 4 wins and 1 draw so far. Also no I have not heard about that until just now. Actually makes me incredibly excited to see what is going to come in 25. If they are able to have an immense improvement in the graphics department I could only imagine the game would skyrocket in popularity even more.

On 16/07/2023 at 08:01, Leeds Ram said:

I don't play a ton of fm now but started a save as Northampton. I'm currently in the year 2026-2027 second in the championship with 58 points from 26 games after losing the playoff final in 2025-2026 to miss out on three consecutive promotions. Ditched the 4-4-2 diamond and 4-3-3 wide to play a 3-2-2-1-2 dynamic system. Sold 2 players for a combined 8 million to bring in 9 newcomers to bolster my squad from a paltry 19 to 26. 

Do you generally come up with all of your tactics on your own or do you look at guides about tactics? Personally I do a bit of both as I was initially having trouble at the beginning with playing tactics that consistently did well with my players. 

1 hour ago, JakeDCFC said:

Do you generally come up with all of your tactics on your own or do you look at guides about tactics? Personally I do a bit of both as I was initially having trouble at the beginning with playing tactics that consistently did well with my players. 

I just come up with them on my own. I find success generally by creating a balance and playing tactics which suit the players at my disposal. 

I'm still playing Kevin Toms Football Star Manager on my phone.

It's basically a phone version of the old FM games from the 80's. You can play a season in about 40 minutes and is very addictive.

I had a current FM game a few years ago but couldn't be arsed spending hours on formations/tactics & off-field stuff. Just give me stick men match every couple of minutes and it'll do me.

I have FM20. Is the 23 any better? 

For me, the better would be an overall harder game with a lot of psychology, group dynamics, and media & fans involved. It would also be nice if the tactics somehow would matter...

44 minutes ago, Dimmu said:

I have FM20. Is the 23 any better? 

For me, the better would be an overall harder game with a lot of psychology, group dynamics, and media & fans involved. It would also be nice if the tactics somehow would matter...

23 is definitely better than 20, but I'd recommend waiting til Nov and getting 24 as there are major changes this year.  Almost the whole game is getting an overhaul, but the best thing is you'll have the option to import a saved game from previous versions.  I'm over the moon about this because it means I can continue with my current save which has us 5th in the Prem during the 28/29 season, having won the caraboa cup, EUROPA league & the Super Cup (4-3 vs Real Madrid) the previous season...

Edited by ramsbottom

38 minutes ago, ramsbottom said:

23 is definitely better than 20, but I'd recommend waiting til Nov and getting 24 as there are major changes this year.  Almost the whole game is getting an overhaul, but the best thing is you'll have the option to import a saved game from previous versions.  I'm over the moon about this because it means I can continue with my current save which has us 5th in the Prem during the 28/29 season, having won the caraboa cup, EUROPA league & the Super Cup (4-3 vs Real Madrid) the previous season...

See the interview earlier: It's 25 getting the overhaul, not 24.

Not that I've played FM since... I have no idea now but I know I was at Plymouth and I think I had Jamie Mackie, but also I had a young RB/CB who was a proper star for me but who's name I can't remember.

I ended my FM days on a high at least, taking Plymouth (and that RB/CB) to the brink of Europe before I had a falling out with the owners about their lack of ambition to take the next step and resigned.

Mathias Doumbé !

So somewhere between 2004 and 2009.

Edited by Kokosnuss

7 minutes ago, Kokosnuss said:

See the interview earlier: It's 25 getting the overhaul, not 24.

Not that I've played FM since... I have no idea now but I know I was at Plymouth and I think I had Jamie Mackie, but also I had a young RB/CB who was a proper star for me but who's name I can't remember.

I ended my FM days on a high at least, taking Plymouth (and that RB/CB) to the brink of Europe before I had a falling out with the owners about their lack of ambition to take the next step and resigned.

My bad.  The import thing is for 24?

I spend a lot of time in preseason, assembling my squad and setting up training schedules, tactics and match plans. 

I generally watch match highlights throughout the season, although with big games I'll take a bit more interest to give myself the best chance of getting the right result. You can fix a lot during the match if you watch carefully.

1 hour ago, maxjam said:

I spend a lot of time in preseason, assembling my squad and setting up training schedules, tactics and match plans. 

I generally watch match highlights throughout the season, although with big games I'll take a bit more interest to give myself the best chance of getting the right result. You can fix a lot during the match if you watch carefully.

I'm still on FM22. I spend a lot of time on recruiting, scouting, training, discipline, media and tactics, but the actual game play is fastest possible, I still see the stats and ratings to make subs and tactical switches. I am pretty successful.