Football Manager 23

JakeDCFC

7 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

I've always played FM on the fastest match speed, no replays, no extended highlights, just text only commentary, so when I read about improved graphics, I'm a bit non-plussed! Do people actually watch the games?

Same, when I played it that is.

That's what I grew up with on Championship Manager.

Tried to watch the games but they were just weird, never felt like I gained anything from seeing the players do dumb things.

Haven't played properly for years now, waiting for this revamp to see if it can lure me back in, doubt it though.

I preferred the more simple game, simple like myself, all the interaction with players and media interviews were quirky at first, then just became a nuisance where I set the staff to do it all.

On 27/07/2023 at 13:26, Eddie said:

Never felt the need to beyond CM01/02. Tonton Zola Moukoko, what a player.

On that note eidos have allowed a site to offer this classic edition of the game to be downloaded for free.

its considered the best most playable version of the game.

but get this, the community have and regularly provide any number of updates and patches for it 

I downloaded it and the current rosters for the start of this season .. bloody brilliant 

On 03/08/2023 at 20:07, NottsRam77 said:

On that note eidos have allowed a site to offer this classic edition of the game to be downloaded for free.

but get this, the community have and regularly provide any number of updates and patches for it 

I downloaded it and the current rosters for the start of this season .. bloody brilliant 

Got a link to the site?

On 03/08/2023 at 20:07, NottsRam77 said:

Where can I get hold of this?  Always to have a go on CM/FM while listening to the Rams away (half fan 😂).

https://champman0102.net/viewforum.php?f=76

thats the page where the link is

to access it though u have to sign up to the site… which is no biggy at all and well worth doing.

once uv signed up to the site, go to downloads, scoll down and go to game subcategory 

then follow prompts 

then u want to go to rosters and install current roster… its straight forward enough but just meeds a little bit of cutting and pasting but theres well illustrated instructions that make it simple

happy to answer any questions 

me and my bro are doing a cracking network game on it 

amazing fun and nostalgia 

On 01/08/2023 at 18:42, ramsbottom said:

And hows it going??

Not great, still in pre-season. Lots to sort out.

Spent ages trying to land an orthodox right back, left winger and striker on a very tight budget. Loads of marginally better than what I have players I can't actually afford (Nathan Bryne and Ravel Morrison included, who want almost double my wage cap). Managed to agree terms with a few but that's no guarantee of anything. So far my only senior signing is Todd Kane. Agreed terms with Madine but he moved to Sunderland instead. 

Bird, Cashin. Thompson and most young prospects have agreed new deals without asking for much of an increase. Sibley won't sign and Lyon are courting him.

Nunn and Weston have sparkled in pre-season cameos, and Elder just scored a 91st minute winner in a 2-1 victory at Chesterfield.

Trying to flesh out my under 23s and under 18s with 16-18 year old free agents who have some level of potential, plus improve my coaching staff. The pay offs for Richie Barker etc are crazy so I guess I'm stuck with them for now.

I had such an epic career game on FM in about 2013 I don’t think I could ever top it - not that I’m interested in buying the new games anyway.

I started out in the Austrian second division with Wattens. Got promoted and finished top 4 in the Austrian Bundesliga the final two seasons (4 seasons total there).

Then I got the Basel job. Won the Swiss league three years in succession (3 seasons total there).

Then I moved to Frankfurt in Bundesliga 2. Got promoted first season which was fairly easy given the budget.

After just the one season at Frankfurt I made the controversial move to join rivals Stuttgart who had better players, bigger budget and Europa League football. Spent 3 years there, finishing top 4 each year and won the German Cup.

Joined Bayern when their manager got the Germany job. Won the Bundesliga every year, won 2 more German Cups. No CL unfortunately. By this time I was 14 years in and all the recognizable names had retired.

After 3 years at Bayern I resigned. Winning the Bundesliga was no challenge and repetitive. I wanted a fresh challenge so sat out for half a year before joining Real Betis who were top 6 in La Liga.

I turned Betis into an Atletico Madrid. I won 3 successive Europa League titles (4 in total over 7 years). 3 Copa del Rey titles. I toppled Sevilla. But I couldn’t win La Liga. My best was 99 points and that wasn’t enough as Barcelona went unbeaten and got over 100.

After 7 years at Betis I was 22 seasons in. I had my mind on 25 total before retiring.

So now I moved to the MLS for my retirement years. I joined Real Salt Lake and won the MLS league and cup double in my final two seasons.

I was thinking this is it before one last job tempted me. The Colombia national team. I spent five years in the charge, but a Copa America semi-final defeat to Brazil was followed by a World Cup quarter-final exit to France put an end to that.

30 seasons in total. An epic game. But that was the end of my FM days.

Admittedly I did play an updated patch of CM01/02 during Covid. Nostalgia.

FM has an odd hold on a lot of players, including myself. I think Miles Jacobson was correct when he pinpointed the ability to make your own stories as critical to the game's success. My best save was York City on FM 17; won the prem 3 years in a row but never got past the quarters of the champions league with them. 

Now, I'm at Northampton. Won 3 promotions in 4 years and just played my first Premier League game resulting in a 2-2 draw at home to Brighton. Fully expecting relegation as the game has significantly toughened up in recent years in the transition to the prem. 

On 11/08/2023 at 15:35, Bris Vegas said:

I had such an epic career game on FM in about 2013 I don’t think I could ever top it - not that I’m interested in buying the new games anyway.

I started out in the Austrian second division with Wattens. Got promoted and finished top 4 in the Austrian Bundesliga the final two seasons (4 seasons total there).

Then I got the Basel job. Won the Swiss league three years in succession (3 seasons total there).

Then I moved to Frankfurt in Bundesliga 2. Got promoted first season which was fairly easy given the budget.

After just the one season at Frankfurt I made the controversial move to join rivals Stuttgart who had better players, bigger budget and Europa League football. Spent 3 years there, finishing top 4 each year and won the German Cup.

Joined Bayern when their manager got the Germany job. Won the Bundesliga every year, won 2 more German Cups. No CL unfortunately. By this time I was 14 years in and all the recognizable names had retired.

After 3 years at Bayern I resigned. Winning the Bundesliga was no challenge and repetitive. I wanted a fresh challenge so sat out for half a year before joining Real Betis who were top 6 in La Liga.

I turned Betis into an Atletico Madrid. I won 3 successive Europa League titles (4 in total over 7 years). 3 Copa del Rey titles. I toppled Sevilla. But I couldn’t win La Liga. My best was 99 points and that wasn’t enough as Barcelona went unbeaten and got over 100.

After 7 years at Betis I was 22 seasons in. I had my mind on 25 total before retiring.

So now I moved to the MLS for my retirement years. I joined Real Salt Lake and won the MLS league and cup double in my final two seasons.

I was thinking this is it before one last job tempted me. The Colombia national team. I spent five years in the charge, but a Copa America semi-final defeat to Brazil was followed by a World Cup quarter-final exit to France put an end to that.

30 seasons in total. An epic game. But that was the end of my FM days.

Admittedly I did play an updated patch of CM01/02 during Covid. Nostalgia.

My fave saves have been taking provincial clubs to the big time.  Had a great Burton save once where I took them all the way to the Champions League back in FM19.  I did the same with Newport in '22 and with Wrexham in this version, both times I signed our ex player Jamal Hector-Ingram and he bagged for fun, regardless of the division.

• 2 weeks later...

My favourite game was back in the CM2 era. 

Started at Celtic and after a couple of years I got a new young regen striker that I started bringing off the bench towards the end of games. The following season I played him more and more to the point where by the end of the season he was a regular starter. Did about another five seasons at Celtic and then made the controversial move across the city to Rangers. Added to the drama by signing the aforementioned regen striker shortly after arriving at Ibrox. He went on to be a regular starter for me over the next decade. He finally retired at around 33/34 I think. I remember printing his career stats out when he retired and they were insane, something like 500 goals I think. Still the best striker I had on any iteration of the game. Shame he was a regen.

I played 23 (that was last year's right?) about 6 months ago maybe. Just for a laugh I started as PSG. Spent the bulk of my transfer budget buying Haaland so ended up with Mbappe, Haaland, Neymar and Messi. Probably the most boring season I've ever had. You'd think winning 5/6/7-0 a week would be fun, but turns out the appeal wore off after a handful of games. 

On 07/08/2023 at 19:53, NottsRam77 said:

https://champman0102.net/viewforum.php?f=76

thats the page where the link is

to access it though u have to sign up to the site… which is no biggy at all and well worth doing.

once uv signed up to the site, go to downloads, scoll down and go to game subcategory 

then follow prompts 

then u want to go to rosters and install current roster… its straight forward enough but just meeds a little bit of cutting and pasting but theres well illustrated instructions that make it simple

happy to answer any questions 

me and my bro are doing a cracking network game on it 

amazing fun and nostalgia 

This is much more enjoyable than modern versions.  Much simpler, quicker and a lot less faffing about.

19 minutes ago, NottsRam77 said:

Isnt it just

U can just blast through seasons

u managed to get it up and running with the new rosters all ok? 

Yep, all good thanks.  It messes with your brain a bit to start with when you see someone like Max Bird born in something like 1979 and then you realise the game’s in 2001 😂.