The Summer Evolution: Your CURRENT best XI

StarterForTen

5 minutes ago, Eoghan1884 said:

For first game of the season with Elder, Washington, Barkhuizen expected only fit enough for the bench and Sibley not fit enough to play a part. I’d go with - 

Wildsmith

Nelson Bradley Cashin

Ward Bird Smith Hourihane Forsyth

NML playing off Collins 

think Thompson has done well at wing back but for a league game could see him being caught out for lack of height and physicality on the back post.

Thomo will play LWB ahead of Fozzie. 

3 minutes ago, Eoghan1884 said:

For first game of the season with Elder, Washington, Barkhuizen expected only fit enough for the bench and Sibley not fit enough to play a part. I’d go with - 

Wildsmith

Nelson Bradley Cashin

Ward Bird Smith Hourihane Forsyth

NML playing off Collins 

think Thompson has done well at wing back but for a league game could see him being caught out for lack of height and physicality on the back post.

I think we’re going to see Bird with more licence this season, it’s going to be a huge season for him.

Thompson has done wonderfully this pre-season to earn trust from the management team and I think he will be a good part of the squad this year. 

Still time for one the potential 3 new signings to come into all this yet. 

Bit confused with Sibley because Warne said next week in his interview but we’ve been told longer?

1 hour ago, Srg said:

I think we’re going to see Bird with more licence this season, it’s going to be a huge season for him.

Thompson has done wonderfully this pre-season to earn trust from the management team and I think he will be a good part of the squad this year. 

Still time for one the potential 3 new signings to come into all this yet. 

Bit confused with Sibley because Warne said next week in his interview but we’ve been told longer?

Apparently felt a bit of tightness in training so he has been put back a couple of weeks in recovery 

For opening day

Wildsmith picks himself

Definitely going to be Nelson Bradley and Cashin in a 3

I'd expect Ward right and Wilson left wing backs

Smith Hourihane and Bird for midfield

Then NML and Collins both in terms of fitness and likely preference as it stands.

I agree with Warne on that line up.

Can only see Elder, Washington and maybe Barkhuizen if he hits decent form seriously troubling those in the starting XI. Fozzy, Sibley and Thompson will be utility subs. 

2 or 3 additions would give us a healthy sized squad, ready to cover most issues but short of a proper step up in quality either as centre forward or attacking mid I don't see them being guaranteed starters.

On 23/07/2023 at 20:29, Rample said:

For opening day

Wildsmith picks himself

Definitely going to be Nelson Bradley and Cashin in a 3

I'd expect Ward right and Wilson left wing backs

Smith Hourihane and Bird for midfield

Then NML and Collins both in terms of fitness and likely preference as it stands.

I agree with Warne on that line up.

Can only see Elder, Washington and maybe Barkhuizen if he hits decent form seriously troubling those in the starting XI. Fozzy, Sibley and Thompson will be utility subs. 

2 or 3 additions would give us a healthy sized squad, ready to cover most issues but short of a proper step up in quality either as centre forward or attacking mid I don't see them being guaranteed starters.

Pretty much how I see it.

Better than last season except up front. 

But NML didn't have great end product and Collins was poor. So improvement from them and another option or two up top and we look good.

19 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

Pretty much how I see it.

Better than last season except up front. 

But NML didn't have great end product and Collins was poor. So improvement from them and another option or two up top and we look good.

NML's end product was fine - 7 goals and 8 assists, pretty much all in the first half of the season.

I'd argue it's less about his quality and more about his fitness. We need to find a way to keep him fit and firing for the entirety of the season and not just half of it.

14 minutes ago, Scott129 said:

NML's end product was fine - 7 goals and 8 assists, pretty much all in the first half of the season.

I'd argue it's less about his quality and more about his fitness. We need to find a way to keep him fit and firing for the entirety of the season and not just half of it.

Agree. Give him regular breaks, and he should be fine. He an explosive athlete, not an endurance athlete.

Barkhuizen and Sibley look key to that to me. If they're delivering with decent regularity, NML can be rotated out of the line.

1 hour ago, Scott129 said:

Going away for the summer tournament makes this even more the case. He might start the season well as a result but unless we rotate and rest him he'll be off the boil by Christmas.

To be fair I think we're better covered now. Last season there weren't a lot of options and he had to play too much. Not relying so much on wide forwards then it's more about strikers and attacking mids. I can see him and Washington rotating.

Wildsmith

Nelson                     Bradley                        Cashin

Smith                       Hourihane

Ward                                                                                           Elder

NML                                   Bird

Collins                  

17 minutes ago, NorwichExile said:

It's interesting that Barkhuizen doesn't seem to have a roll in the squad whatsoever. I thought Warne would keep him around for wingback cover, bits he's openly stating he wants a new lwb.

Bit of a jump to say he doesn’t have a role just because Warne has suggested wanting a new lwb. Barkhuizen played in one of the pre season games then got injured, he’s returned to training this week, he’s capable of playing as a wide forward and potentially in a central role, there’s nothing as that suggests Barkhuizen won’t play his part this year. 
Granted he might move on, but there’s been nothing to say he’s not part of Warne’s plans for what will be a long old season. 

Edited by Caerphilly Ram

1 hour ago, sage said:

Wildsmith

Nelson                     Bradley                        Cashin

Smith                       Hourihane

Ward                                                                                           Elder

NML                                   Bird

Collins                  

Like the look of that team I wonder however if Washington will be able to play the Collins role more effectivly. 

I like Barks in the squad - good option off the bench to run at tired legs and give NML some rest

i remember him saying in his first interview that he quite likes playing in a forward role as well as winger so this year we may see him more in his favoured role 

with the really sold base that we have in defence and midfield I think our front players won’t quite look so isolated this season 🤞🤞

1 hour ago, norwichram said:

I like Barks in the squad - good option off the bench to run at tired legs and give NML some rest

i remember him saying in his first interview that he quite likes playing in a forward role as well as winger so this year we may see him more in his favoured role 

with the really sold base that we have in defence and midfield I think our front players won’t quite look so isolated this season 🤞🤞

I agree, I don't see any reason why he won't be a decent option for the "no.10" role(s) along with Bird(!), NML, Sibley, +1(?), as well as emergency cover at both wing back positions.