New Venture - New Pub

rynny

I just saw thing on social media about the "King Of Rome" plaque that used to be at the Maypole and has now been relocated to Dubrek, just round the corner by Kal Singh Dhindsa. Maybe it was just the way I read it, but it seemed to be throwing shade on the Maypole's new owners for not respecting Derby heritage. Did you have beef with him, or was it all done amicably?

15 minutes ago, Stive Pesley said:

I just saw thing on social media about the "King Of Rome" plaque that used to be at the Maypole and has now been relocated to Dubrek, just round the corner by Kal Singh Dhindsa. Maybe it was just the way I read it, but it seemed to be throwing shade on the Maypole's new owners for not respecting Derby heritage. Did you have beef with him, or was it all done amicably?

I had to google "the king of Rome"

On 29 October 2022 a plaque was unveiled inside the Maypole Inn, Brook Street, Derby, in tribute to Charles Hudson, The King of Rome and Dave Sudbury, after a campaign initiated by historian and former teacher Kalwinder Singh Dhindsa. On 5 July 2023 the plaque was relocated and rehomed to Dubrek Studios on Bridge Street.

And here he is

image.png.d5fcbfe7ef71b120e1eb47fb77674f0c.png

As an aside, I worked at Lincas builders merchants on Brook Street opposite the Maypole when I was 16 years old, All the men there were Pidgeon racing mad, All based at the 102 social club on Friargate.

1 hour ago, The Last Post said:

I had to google "the king of Rome"

On 29 October 2022 a plaque was unveiled inside the Maypole Inn, Brook Street, Derby, in tribute to Charles Hudson, The King of Rome and Dave Sudbury, after a campaign initiated by historian and former teacher Kalwinder Singh Dhindsa. On 5 July 2023 the plaque was relocated and rehomed to Dubrek Studios on Bridge Street.

Charles Hudson was the pigeon owner and Dave Sudbury wrote a song about it in the 80s, which has become a folk classic, and even Half Man Half Biscuit have done it

Edited by Stive Pesley

8 hours ago, Stive Pesley said:

So we took the plaque to redecorate the pub, and where it was located is where we have put a TV. Someone came in and didn't see the plaque and asked us what we were going to do with it, we weren't sure and said that we hadn't decided and there were a few options that we were considering, maybe putting it back up or maybe seeing if the museum where the pigeon is on display were interested in displaying it for a while. It was reported back to Kal that we weren't putting it back up at all and that we didn't want it. We were contacted by someone else asking if we had the plaque and that the owner wanted it back. Kal came and collected it the following day, thanked us for looking after it and took it round the corner Dubrek. We do feel like we have had some shade thrown at us unfairly, not from Kal, but others without actually knowing the full story. In the whole process of the plaque being retrieved we were never asked if we wanted to keep the plaque on display.

Best wishes, @rynny.

My dad was a pub landlord from 1967 until he retired - it's a great life. It was perhaps a little different when we started in the trade - barrels of bitter and mild were wooden and held 36 gallons. These had to be manhandled up onto the thrawl so the beer could settle - after which the barrel could be tapped and the vent pegs inserted. Actually, come to think of it, I suppose that's how real ale would be prepared now?

Keg beer was just coming in - kilderkins (18 gallons) of rubbish like Double Diamond and the god-awful Skol lager.

2 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Best wishes, @rynny.

My dad was a pub landlord from 1967 until he retired - it's a great life. It was perhaps a little different when we started in the trade - barrels of bitter and mild were wooden and held 36 gallons. These had to be manhandled up onto the thrawl so the beer could settle - after which the barrel could be tapped and the vent pegs inserted. Actually, come to think of it, I suppose that's how real ale would be prepared now?

Keg beer was just coming in - kilderkins (18 gallons) of rubbish like Double Diamond and the god-awful Skol lager.

Thank you @Eddie much appreciated.

You are correct, that is how real ale is prepared now, although smaller barrels than the 36 gallons. Typical done in 9s now, although one pub I used to run I did order was in the 18 gals, that was fun trying to pick up on my own 😳

45 minutes ago, rynny said:

So we took the plaque to redecorate the pub, and where it was located is where we have put a TV. Someone came in and didn't see the plaque and asked us what we were going to do with it, we weren't sure and said that we hadn't decided and there were a few options that we were considering, maybe putting it back up or maybe seeing if the museum where the pigeon is on display were interested in displaying it for a while. It was reported back to Kal that we weren't putting it back up at all and that we didn't want it. We were contacted by someone else asking if we had the plaque and that the owner wanted it back. Kal came and collected it the following day, thanked us for looking after it and took it round the corner Dubrek. We do feel like we have had some shade thrown at us unfairly, not from Kal, but others without actually knowing the full story. In the whole process of the plaque being retrieved we were never asked if we wanted to keep the plaque on display.

Pear Tree Ram that is if you didn't know.

10 minutes ago, rynny said:

Thank you @Eddie much appreciated.

You are correct, that is how real ale is prepared now, although smaller barrels than the 36 gallons. Typical done in 9s now, although one pub I used to run I did order was in the 18 gals, that was fun trying to pick up on my own 😳

Ever drop one.  I saw someone drop one those water bottle you turn upside and jam on once.  When it split over the office floor it was like a rogue wave hitting. God knows what 18 gallons would be like.

Just now, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Ever drop one.  I saw someone drop one those water bottle you turn upside and jam on once.  When it split over the office floor it was like a rogue wave hitting. God knows what 18 gallons would be like.

I'm sure there is some form of jinx in answering this 😅

No I haven't dropped a barrel 

3 minutes ago, rynny said:

I'm sure there is some form of jinx in answering this 😅

No I haven't dropped a barrel 

Bloody tough, barrels are. It would just bounce. Although I could carry a Kilderkin (only about 175 pounds including the cask), a barrel was a different proposition, weighing three and a half hundredweight. You didn't lift it onto the thrawl - you rolled it, starting from an upright position, then tilt it across the edge of the thrawl (almost end over end). If you started the roll the correct distance away, the shape of the barrel would help you 'lift' it up.

8 hours ago, Eddie said:

Best wishes, @rynny.

My dad was a pub landlord from 1967 until he retired - it's a great life. It was perhaps a little different when we started in the trade - barrels of bitter and mild were wooden and held 36 gallons. 

My Austrian Grandfather Joseph did his one and only visit to England around 1963/64 a big bugger he was, Anyway he went to the Wilmot Arms on Morley Road in Chadd, Never in his life had he drank or seen Mild Beer, My Mum would often tell us how he staggered up the hill to get to our house after a session at dinner time.

• 1 month later...
On 09/07/2023 at 17:45, OUTSIDER said:

Most importantly is

Due you sell red bull ? and not pretend red bull .. 😒 

On match day what time you plan to open as we get into Derby about 930 /1030 

Apologies, missed this post. 

Unfortunately Maypole doesn't have a licence until 11am, however as above, taken over at the Merry Widows now as well, and will be open from 10am on match days.