Paul Simpson

Day

• 6 months later...

Carlisle boss Paul Simpson has criticised supporters who abused him at the end of the 3-0 defeat at Blackpool.

The Cumbrians have won just three times this season and lie three points from safety in League One...

The supporters reacted badly to their fourth defeat in five games and Simpson said he "did not deserve to go over in front of our supporters" and be abused with offensive words and gestures.

The former Derby County and Manchester City player was also unhappy that on-loan Crystal Palace striker Luke Plange was subjected to ironic cheers when substituted in the second half.

Said Simpson: "I don't expect our supporters, who have been absolutely magnificent, to cheer and applaud when we sub a 21-year-old striker on loan from a Premier League club.

"That's not how we support Carlisle United. I think they've got a very short memory because when I came back into this football club it was on its knees.

"They all wanted to turn up and support us when the good times were going, when we had runs of wins and got into play-off semi-finals and finals, and win at Wembley and are suddenly in League One.

"They all want to cheer for that and enjoy that and now we're having a sticky patch suddenly people want to make gestures like that.

"I'll be honest with you, I don't need that in my life, I don't need that at all, so I'm not happy about that.

"It wasn't a few, it was a lot of people. We are struggling, let's be honest, but [Saturday] we did not lose because of a lack of effort and I don't care what anybody on that far side [of the ground] thinks about that.

"I don't even think the tactics were wrong, it was individual mistakes and we had opportunities and half-opportunities and if we had been clinical in both boxes that may not have happened.

Asked if he might walk away from the club if the abuse continues, Simpson refused to answer.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/67675547

4 hours ago, Mucker1884 said:

Carlisle boss Paul Simpson has criticised supporters who abused him at the end of the 3-0 defeat at Blackpool.

The Cumbrians have won just three times this season and lie three points from safety in League One...

The supporters reacted badly to their fourth defeat in five games and Simpson said he "did not deserve to go over in front of our supporters" and be abused with offensive words and gestures.

The former Derby County and Manchester City player was also unhappy that on-loan Crystal Palace striker Luke Plange was subjected to ironic cheers when substituted in the second half.

Said Simpson: "I don't expect our supporters, who have been absolutely magnificent, to cheer and applaud when we sub a 21-year-old striker on loan from a Premier League club.

"That's not how we support Carlisle United. I think they've got a very short memory because when I came back into this football club it was on its knees.

"They all wanted to turn up and support us when the good times were going, when we had runs of wins and got into play-off semi-finals and finals, and win at Wembley and are suddenly in League One.

"They all want to cheer for that and enjoy that and now we're having a sticky patch suddenly people want to make gestures like that.

"I'll be honest with you, I don't need that in my life, I don't need that at all, so I'm not happy about that.

"It wasn't a few, it was a lot of people. We are struggling, let's be honest, but [Saturday] we did not lose because of a lack of effort and I don't care what anybody on that far side [of the ground] thinks about that.

"I don't even think the tactics were wrong, it was individual mistakes and we had opportunities and half-opportunities and if we had been clinical in both boxes that may not have happened.

Asked if he might walk away from the club if the abuse continues, Simpson refused to answer.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/67675547

Football fans are fickle. Always been the case unfortunately.