Academy thread 23/24

IlsonDerby

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

2 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

8th in National League South. He came off the bench for the final 4 mins + injury time when already 4-2 up. He made 2 starts for Buxton in the National League North earlier in November.

He's 21 year old, and I beleive we only signed him on a 1 year deal, so I wouldn't expect him to get an extension here.

3 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

8th in National League South. He came off the bench for the final 4 mins + injury time when already 4-2 up. He made 2 starts for Buxton in the National League North earlier in November.

He's 21 year old, and I beleive we only signed him on a 1 year deal, so I wouldn't expect him to get an extension here.

What's the age profile of the rest of the U21 squad looking like? I'd assume rather young following admin with a few like these dotted in to make up the numbers? Hopefully the next succession line is in place for folk to step up to the next age group.

1 hour ago, Ram@Lincoln said:

What's the age profile of the rest of the U21 squad looking like? I'd assume rather young following admin with a few like these dotted in to make up the numbers? Hopefully the next succession line is in place for folk to step up to the next age group.

From those to have played in the league this season and still at the club...

First teamers: Fornah, Ward, Thompson

Over 21: BJohnson, (Nunn not used)

21: Bardell, Oduroh, Gibson-Hammond, Nto

20: Bartley, Radcliffe, Bates, Weston, Oseni

19: Evans, Moore, DRobinson, Fapetu, Lindsay, (Ridd not used)

18: Cox, KRobinson, Moloney, Richards, DBrown, (Shattell not used)

17: JThompson, Gill, Perry ,Gough, Hawkins, Davidson, Wheeldon*

16: Allen, McAndrew, Osong**, Oguntolu**

*17 or 18

**16 or 17

The majority of those 19 or older will be either released, sold, or loaned out by this time next season.

1 hour ago, TheHomunculusLives said:

I guess there are always a few players, even up to under-21 level, who are never going to be viewed as potential first team material, but have a role to play 'making up the numbers' to allow the better talents to have a platform to develop. 

I just hope that some are considered future first team material and we actually see some debuts in the coming years as the academy emerges from the ashes of admin

1 hour ago, Jram said:

I just hope that some are considered future first team material and we actually see some debuts in the coming years as the academy emerges from the ashes of admin

I do find it quite surprising that a club who have invested as much as us in our Academy in recent years doesn't have a single homegrown player under the age of 21 in the matchday squad when we're currently a League One club. Others on this forum have explained that several of our best prospects in the 18-20 age group were poached by other clubs (e.g. Kellyman, Kaide Gordon) so that's why we have a bit of a gap between the Bird/Sibley/Thompson generation and some of the promising talent in the under-18 age group. 

44 minutes ago, TheHomunculusLives said:

I do find it quite surprising that a club who have invested as much as us in our Academy in recent years doesn't have a single homegrown player under the age of 21 in the matchday squad when we're currently a League One club. Others on this forum have explained that several of our best prospects in the 18-20 age group were poached by other clubs (e.g. Kellyman, Kaide Gordon) so that's why we have a bit of a gap between the Bird/Sibley/Thompson generation and some of the promising talent in the under-18 age group. 

Darren Robinson has been , but has been held back by injury this season I think ? 

1 minute ago, Reggie Greenwood said:

Darren Robinson has been , but has been held back by injury this season I think ? 

Does he make the matchday squad if everyone is fit and available though? Not sure he's getting on the bench ahead of Sibley, Thompson, Fornah or Smith, assuming our first choice midfield is Hourihane, Bird and Adams.

1 minute ago, TheHomunculusLives said:

Does he make the matchday squad if everyone is fit and available though? Not sure he's getting on the bench ahead of Sibley, Thompson, Fornah or Smith, assuming our first choice midfield is Hourihane, Bird and Adams.

Possibly not this season , but I would hope next season will be his breakthrough one. Others may confirm but think he can play Centre back as well as midfield ? 

1 hour ago, TheHomunculusLives said:

Rooney made 3 appearances this season before being injured.

1 minute ago, TheHomunculusLives said:

In the U21 games, I don't think there's much between Fornah and DRobinson

51 minutes ago, TheHomunculusLives said:

We had a couple of bad years with U18 intakes. Following the very succesful 2018 group which contained Cashin, Ebosele, Archie Brown, Sibley, Thompson and Stretton.
In 2019: We had Bardell (still with us but struggled with injuries), Nto (just returned to our U21s), as a well as the likes of Solomon, Aghatise and Cybulski. Delap would have been part of this group, but left prior to the season starting.
In 2020: We had Ibrahim and Borkovic. Williams was signed by Chelsea in Jan 2022

We are then into the 2021 group who are only 1st year pros this season so you can see why we've had a gap.

2021: Evans, Aideyan, Ryan Moore, Moloney, Sebagabo, DRobinson, Fapetu, Eze, Richards, Ebiowei, Nicholas-Davies, Kaide Gordon, ZDixon
2022: Shattell, Grant (joined Man City at U13/14 level), Cox, KRobinson, Perry, Gough, Hawkins, Simons, Kellyman, Sharpe, Davidson,DBrown, Wheeldon
2023: JThompson, Price, Osayande, IGordon, Banks, Gill, Eames, Tola, Allen, McAndrew, Osong, Agustien, Kaba, Scanlon, Oguntola

From having just a couple of 'high potential' players likely to play in the Championship or higher in 2019 and 2020 combined, we're back to having several players with a good chance of making it to that level in each year group - even with 9 players from the 3 most recent groups having been snapped up by other Cat 1 clubs

U18s just kicked off vs Stoke

Price

Eames   Banks   Osayande   Gill

Hawkins   McAndrew

Trialist   Allen   Osong

Oguntolu 

Subs: Hardy, Cox, Tola, Agustien, Green

Cox will very likely come off the bench for his first appearance since November. He had played in every U21 game up until that point.