Summer Rumour Mill

sage

40 minutes ago, Jase116 said:

Sure I saw Ipswich have signed another attacking player on loan, if he is a striker, to me Ladapo will possibly leave at some point through the window, I do get the feeling we are waiting for our top targets

Hutchinson from Chelsea is a attacking midfielder not forward 

1 hour ago, Kernow said:

A few have made that point now. Conveniently ignored each time.

The last 2 months was embarrassing regarding out goal output, if McGoldrick didn't score we looked clueless. 

Of course there's goals in the squad, but i'd be concerned if our current players didn't have the ability to at least register some contributions against the likes of Cambridge and Cheltenham.

52 minutes ago, Jase116 said:

Sure I saw Ipswich have signed another attacking player on loan, if he is a striker, to me Ladapo will possibly leave at some point through the window, I do get the feeling we are waiting for our top targets

Hutchinson's a good player. Someone I shortlisted for the AM role, 2nd only to Andrew Moran (Brighton). I would have thought Championship football is a season too early for both of them.

3 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

The right age for what? Surely it’s subjective 

Think the general consensus is that once a player gets past 30 their ability starts to dwindle. Of course there's exceptions i.e McGoldrick. But lets put it this way, if Collins hits 15 goals, how much would get for him? £100k perhaps.

If Smith signed and hit 15 goals and clubs were sniffing we'd be able to slap a way higher price tag on him. 

Being younger doesn't mean better and if we sign a truly high quality striker next then I think Collins and Washington are fine as back ups/work horses. But I think there's been some obvious targets that have either been ignored by us or we haven't convinced to sign and when we're arguably the biggest team in the league and have shifted out 3 top earners thats a little concerning. 

5 minutes ago, TomTom92 said:

Think the general consensus is that once a player gets past 30 their ability starts to dwindle. Of course there's exceptions i.e McGoldrick. But lets put it this way, if Collins hits 15 goals, how much would get for him? £100k perhaps.

If Smith signed and hit 15 goals and clubs were sniffing we'd be able to slap a way higher price tag on him. 

Being younger doesn't mean better and if we sign a truly high quality striker next then I think Collins and Washington are fine as back ups/work horses. But I think there's been some obvious targets that have either been ignored by us or we haven't convinced to sign and when we're arguably the biggest team in the league and have shifted out 3 top earners thats a little concerning. 

Ok, I take the point about resale value, but as you say their age doesn’t automatically equate to success whether the player is older or younger. Who are the obvious targets we’ve missed in your view? 

2 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Ok, I take the point about resale value, but as you say their age doesn’t automatically equate to success whether the player is older or younger. Who are the obvious targets we’ve missed in your view? 

Smith, Knibbs, and May are probably the 3 who personally i would've preferred over Washington.

All eyes on the next striker we bring in. Out of the linked targets i'd want Lapado, Godden orSharp in that order as opposed to Rhodes or Martin.

Just now, TomTom92 said:

Smith, Knibbs, and May are probably the 3 who personally i would've preferred over Washington.

All eyes on the next striker we bring in. Out of the linked targets i'd want Lapado, Godden orSharp in that order as opposed to Rhodes or Martin.

Martin isn't linked whatsoever, just for clarity compared to the others you've mentioned.

22 minutes ago, TomTom92 said:

Think the general consensus is that once a player gets past 30 their ability starts to dwindle. Of course there's exceptions i.e McGoldrick.

I'm really not sure that's the case anymore. Players careers are definitely much longer these days. I remember a lot of players being done at 32 but there are many playing much, much longer now so I'm not quite so bothered as some about 30+

5 minutes ago, TomTom92 said:

May was always rumoured to want a return to the South East/London to be closer to family and stated as much when he joined Charlton.

Smith and Knibbs, perhaps they’ll prove to be astute signings for Reading, but if Warne and the recruitment team decided not to pursue them there’s no point worrying about it, there’ll have been reasons for that and there isn’t much we can do. 
We’ll end up with what we end up with, based on the intentions of the people in charge of the club and perhaps also influenced by circumstance, I’m not worrying about that as me worrying won’t affect anything the club does.

5 minutes ago, Raich Carter said:

I'm really not sure that's the case anymore. Players careers are definitely much longer these days. I remember a lot of players being done at 32 but there are many playing much, much longer now so I'm not quite so bothered as some about 30+

I'm open to say that every individual is different but Collins and Washington just doesn't excite me. Rhodes doesn't either and he appears to be the front runner for the next signing.

1 minute ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

May was always rumoured to want a return to the South East/London to be closer to family and stated as much when he joined Charlton.

Smith and Knibbs, perhaps they’ll prove to be astute signings for Reading, but if Warne and the recruitment team decided not to pursue them there’s no point worrying about it, there’ll have been reasons for that and there isn’t much we can do. 
We’ll end up with what we end up with, based on the intentions of the people in charge of the club and perhaps also influenced by circumstance, I’m not worrying about that as me worrying won’t affect anything the club does.

Fair enough very philosophical and you're correct we are powerless. But if we're struggling for goals and having to fight for the play offs then i'll feel very underwhelmed by it all.

3 hours ago, MarsdenRam said:

We don't need players like that.

Which is what I'm saying. We can't offer a considerable amount of money more than their current clubs, we can't offer them football in a higher league, we are hoping that players want to join to be a success, but those driven players with exciting futures rarely arrive for 250k which is where we are at. So I don't think finding this 20 + goal striker is an easy task for our budget and current climate.

1 hour ago, TomTom92 said:

Or we weren't able (under the plan agreed with the EFL) or prepared to pay the wage they were after?

1 hour ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

I don’t think we need to get obsessed about resale value, especially when we are spending next to nothing on the player. Age is pretty much irrelevant if those individuals help get us in to the Championship and the resulting increase in revenue that this would bring.

2 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

I’m a little surprised there hasn’t been a statement from the club about transfers.

They knew we had been promised more signings and could have done an interview saying we all have to be patient, irons in fires etc.

I thought we’d moved last being known as statement FC? We really don’t need a statement about transfers lol

25 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

Or we weren't able (under the plan agreed with the EFL) or prepared to pay the wage they were after?

I was under the impression that we could reinvest a percentage of fees from sales, so factor in Bielik's and Knights, before you even get on to their wages, i'm struggling to see how we couldn't afford them.