Points Deduction, Who's Next And When Will It Stop?

ram59

13 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

I thought jasper carrot was funny when i was 12, i think that's about as close as I got.

Was on Radio Derby about a year ago.  Has a lot of Derby fans in his family.  Apparently, his grandparents are from Derby on his dads side and moved to Birmingham for work.  Probably about 100 years ago 

On 04/04/2024 at 14:24, Mucker1884 said:

And when they (Brum) go under, a big fat "Wake-In-The-Park-Weekend-Extravaganza"!  It'll be one heck of a send off!  

A good few clubs sang that song, but the vitriol of the Brum mob really left an impression on me. I'd love to see them suffer what we did, not that it'll happen. I know I should not be so small-minded but I feckin loathe them.

I'll be interested to see how Charlton's apparent spending spree affects their accounts. 

They still haven't published last year's accounts, but had an operating loss of around £10m for 21/22.

44 minutes ago, ram59 said:

I'll be interested to see how Charlton's apparent spending spree affects their accounts. 

They still haven't published last year's accounts, but had an operating loss of around £10m for 21/22.

Never a good sign when your accounts are overdue at Companies House.

1 hour ago, Tamworthram said:

Never a good sign when your accounts are overdue at Companies House.

i think it should be an instant points deduction if it happens.

there is simply no excuse. they are not only breaking company law but they are almost always hiding something.

29 minutes ago, alram said:

there is simply no excuse. they are not only breaking company law but they are almost always hiding something.

The crazy thing is, they can't hide it forever. 

1 hour ago, alram said:

There are valid reasons for not filing accounts on or before the deadline

2 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

The crazy thing is, yes they can, The Derby County Football Club Limited accounts have never been filed!

The company clubs trade under or the parent company they are part of have to file their accounts.

1 hour ago, Tamworthram said:

The company clubs trade under or the parent company they are part of have to file their accounts.

But the parent company filing their accounts could tell you very little, hence why when Derby County Football Club Limited failed to file their accounts none of us knew the true scale of the problem

5 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

But the parent company filing their accounts could tell you very little, hence why when Derby County Football Club Limited failed to file their accounts none of us knew the true scale of the problem

But even so, the accounts have to be filed. Charlton Athletic’s accounts are showing as overdue and so they have they have to be filed.

37 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

But even so, the accounts have to be filed. Charlton Athletic’s accounts are showing as overdue and so they have they have to be filed.

They SHOULD be filed. Derby County are living proof that they don't have to be filed.

Likelihood is though if they aren't filed, sooner or later someone will pull the plug.

14 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

They SHOULD be filed. Derby County are living proof that they don't have to be filed.

Likelihood is though if they aren't filed, sooner or later someone will pull the plug.

I don’t think that is strictly true. According to my understanding a company MUST file its accounts or risk a fine or even being struck off. I guess DCFC didn’t have to file individual accounts because they were part of a group 🤷🏻‍♂️. I assume Charlton are not and therefore their accounts are showing as overdue. I don’t think they can just ignore that and never file their accounts.

IMG_0723.png

55 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

I don’t think that is strictly true. According to my understanding a company MUST file its accounts or risk a fine or even being struck off. I guess DCFC didn’t have to file individual accounts because they were part of a group 🤷🏻‍♂️. I assume Charlton are not and therefore their accounts are showing as overdue. I don’t think they can just ignore that and never file their accounts.

IMG_0723.png

There's a relatively high number if clubs who are showing as overdue. 7 Championship clubs the last time I checked.

At this time of the year, I believe the backlog is around 7 days before the accounts are processed. I wouldn't put any into the suspicious pile until 2 weeks have passed (1 more week to go).

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

There's a relatively high number if clubs who are showing as overdue. 7 Championship clubs the last time I checked.

At this time of the year, I believe the backlog is around 7 days before the accounts are processed. I wouldn't put any into the suspicious pile until 2 weeks have passed (1 more week to go).

Fair point and nothing to get too excited about just yet then. Doesn't alter the fact though that if a company is noted on companies House as "accounts overdue' they can't just ignore it and fail to lodge them. It just seems a number of clubs may have lodged them but they haven't been uploaded yet.

2 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

IMG_0723.png

Your understanding is wrong. Every limited company SHOULD file accounts at Companies House.

You're correct that should they not file accounts that Companies House can apply to strike the company off the register, however, anyone can object to the striking off and, on the assumption that the business has creditors, they would almost most certainly object to the striking off.

I think you are probably getting confused with a group company taking an exemption from audit if the group of accounts is audited.

9 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Your understanding is wrong. Every limited company SHOULD file accounts at Companies House.

You're correct that should they not file accounts that Companies House can apply to strike the company off the register, however, anyone can object to the striking off and, on the assumption that the business has creditors, they would almost most certainly object to the striking off.

I think you are probably getting confused with a group company taking an exemption from audit if the group of accounts is audited.

Maybe I am getting confused but this is what it says on the Companies House website:

each year, every company must file a set of accounts with Companies House, which show how a company has performed over the accounting period. This is required whether the company is trading or not.

And this is what is says on another government website:

All companies must send their accounts and reports to Companies House every year, whether:

private or public

large or small

trading or non-trading

If you submit accounts late, the law imposes an automatic penalty. The period allowed to file your accounts depends on whether these are your first accounts since incorporation or subsequent accounts.

I know anyone can object to a company being struck off but surely a creditor isn’t going to let it stop there and if they did and the company continues not to file their accounts, isn’t the penalty doubled each year or something? (admittedly small fry compared to the companies likely other debts).

I guess we are both right. It clearly states that companies MUST file their accounts. Technically they don’t have to but, as with all legal requirements and laws, if you breach/ignore them there will be consequences. A fine might not deter a club (or it’s parent company) from filing their accounts but I think the EFL rules (section 16) state that sanctions will be applied if they don’t file their accounts with the registrar of companies (Companies House?). 

Anyway, going back to the original point, didn’t DCFC file their accounts (and therefore were not in breach - well not until administration) because they were part of a larger group? Charlton have to file their accounts.