Ball Retention Team aka Ball Boys/Girls

rammieib

I’m just going to repeat this on here just in case the match day director of Derby reads this.

Get more of them, get them on the inside of the advertising boards (like most clubs do!) and get them to have the confidence to get the ball and give it back quicker (when we are winning).

Watching Korey Smith stand still for a ball because he’s too lazy for 30 seconds is painful and just makes it even less appealing for a spectator.

When you talk about the 1 or 2% where we can improve, we should be getting the ball back to our players instantly when we are drawing/losing.

I honestly just find it painful and numbing at time with how long it takes and add in the lack of a multiball system. Jesus. Just watching foreign games (Spain/Germany) how quickly the ball is recycled there compared to here.

On 01/03/2023 at 22:31, rammieib said:

I’m just going to repeat this on here just in case the match day director of Derby reads this.

Get more of them, get them on the inside of the advertising boards (like most clubs do!) and get them to have the confidence to get the ball and give it back quicker (when we are winning).

Watching Korey Smith stand still for a ball because he’s too lazy for 30 seconds is painful and just makes it even less appealing for a spectator.

When you talk about the 1 or 2% where we can improve, we should be getting the ball back to our players instantly when we are drawing/losing.

I honestly just find it painful and numbing at time with how long it takes and add in the lack of a multiball system. Jesus. Just watching foreign games (Spain/Germany) how quickly the ball is recycled there compared to here.

If we want them to give us the ball back quicker, the first thing we need to do is to refrain from calling them the "Ball retention team"!

Poor souls will be as confused as fook!  ?

Edited by Mucker1884

I couldn’t believe today a few times when the score was 2-2 Wildsmith had to get the ball from the corner flag  when a ball retention person was only a couple of yards away.

Don’t they get instructions, my grandson sometimes does it for another East Midlands club and he has pre match instructions what to do 

Went to the game today. Felt like the ball boys/girls were suddenly on it like a car bonnet when we were 2 up.

Chasing a winner in injury time….nah I’ll stay seated. 

Complete farce. Needs sorting rapidly. 

Edited by Diego

This topic comes up every season without question. Every time the forum gets split 50/50 between; they should be well versed in the dark arts (my opinion too) and those who see it as a nice experience for them and it’s not their fault we lost etc. 

See you same time next season for a similar opinion.

They didn't seem on it at all, for this game.  Certainly around the NE corner.
I don't think having to jump over the hoardings help. 
Yesterday, there were a few instances where they just half heartedly looked over the hoardings, clearly thinking "shall I?" as a player approached to get it themselves, or when it was mid-way between two "Bally's".

It's almost as if they are there in an invited capacity for a treat, as opposed to being there to serve a purpose?  ?‍♂️

2 hours ago, Chellaston Ram said:

What’s the point in having them if they aren’t doing their job ?

I didn't realise our employment law has now stretched to giving minors job descriptions before they are offered their employment contract. Silly me. 

16 minutes ago, Chellaston Ram said:

So what is the purpose of them ?

I ripped this off a football league club website advert:-

Ball Collectors are responsible for ensuring the return of the football to the pitch, supporting the flow of play at home matches. The role is perfect for young supporters, with the main perk being able to watch all home matches from a front row seat.

The main purpose of the role is to act quickly in returning the ball into play as instructed by the Matchday Co-ordinator, with training provided as required.  

Interested applicants should be aged between 12-16 years of age, able to attend home weekend and evening matches and be prepared to work as part of a team.

Parents or guardians are required to complete a consent form ahead of accepting the role.

Hope this helps 

The club seems to rotate between a girls lineup and a boys lineup. Yesterday was the girls who as said already didn't seem interested at all to get off their stools to retrieve the ball. This was completely opposite to the boys team that are extremely eager to the extent of Wildsmith and other players having to tell them to slow down when we're winning.

The boys team seem to somewhat understand the tactics and strategy side of their role, whereas the girls seem to think it's a regular seat to watch the game, just closer to the action. 

5 hours ago, TigerTedd said:

Ball boys and girls: the new Richard Keogh / Kellie Roos / insert scapegoat of choice here. 

I don’t think anyone is seriously blaming them for any of our results but, a while yesterday, I thought there weren’t any on duty.

Surely it’s a simple job. If the ball goes out of play and there isn’t a player reasonably near to where the ball is (when outside of the playing area), you pick it up and throw/roll/kick it to to an appropriate player. Cute as it is to see a little one who’s shirt comes down to his/her knees, If the ball boys/girls aren’t big enough to comfortably get over the advertising hoardings then they shouldn’t be one of the team yet. I also don’t think they should be instructed (by either the players or the coaching staff) to get involved in any time wasting shenanigans. Just get the ball back in play (although take a tiny bit longer if it benefits us ?).

1 hour ago, Tyler Durden said:

I ripped this off a football league club website advert:-

Ball Collectors are responsible for ensuring the return of the football to the pitch, supporting the flow of play at home matches. The role is perfect for young supporters, with the main perk being able to watch all home matches from a front row seat.

The main purpose of the role is to act quickly in returning the ball into play as instructed by the Matchday Co-ordinator, with training provided as required.  

Interested applicants should be aged between 12-16 years of age, able to attend home weekend and evening matches and be prepared to work as part of a team.

Parents or guardians are required to complete a consent form ahead of accepting the role.

Hope this helps 

Thanks. Some were not doing their job. So I rest my case 

2 hours ago, Chellaston Ram said:

Thanks. Some were not doing their job. So I rest my case 

Just an a general observation, if we start laying the result yesterday at the doors of the ball retention staff as they weren't doing their jobs then Jeez.....

3 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

Just an a general observation, if we start laying the result yesterday at the doors of the ball retention staff as they weren't doing their jobs then Jeez.....

Nowhere I have blamed them, just making an observation .

The players were to blame, poor finishing and poor decision making in the final third