Formula 1 2023 and general Motorsport

RadioactiveWaste

6 hours ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Possibly controversial, but I do think a lot of motorsport is generally way better on the telly than on the track. Typically over 120 fixed cams are used in an F1 race, then you've got the onboards, the headcams, the helicopters, the drones... You can't beat it as a viewing spectacle IMO.

I'd still do days at Silverstone, Monza, Spa and the like. Interlagos would be an absolute blast, I'm pretty certain of that and I've a loose plan to go in 2024 or the following year.

It's probably not that controversial tbh.

At the track works on a "oh wow they're going to soooo fast and soooo noisy" level but of itself that's not really that compelling, or it works if you're really really into it (like way more than I'm into it) and you can watch the race at one corner and see who is on the raged edge, who is on fine, who is cruising and if you pick your spot, hopefully the passing as well.

Craner curves at Donnington for example looks spectacular as the bikes or cars fly down them, but you don't really get many racing moves tried in there, everyone just tries to get a fast line down and out of the old hairpin.

It's been many years since I've been to Donnington park but I remember Mclanes (i think) and Coppice (I think) the two blind right handers before the back straight being some of the best to watch at.

Edited by RadioactiveWaste

16 minutes ago, Grumpy Git said:

Isle of Man TT starts this weekend.

If you've never been, but are a fan of bike racing, its a must.

Will be my 26th consecutive year excluding foot & mouth and Covid.

It's fantastic. The stars never aligned for me to go over on my bike when I had one.

If anyone is having a "I wonder what the fuss is about" ITV have a 4 part series about it called "no room for error" which is worth a watch, or have a look for "Closer to the Edge" a film from about 2010 about it.

Highlights will be nightly on ITV 4.

2 minutes ago, ziggyram59 said:

It probably won't happen but would love to see Fernando Alonso win the Monaco Grand Prix instead of the boring Red Bull Team with K**B Head Horner and Mardy Boy Verstappen who throws his dummy out the pram when he doesn't win. Can only see Hamilton finishing about 6th/7th. 

I'd take either Ferrari driver as well, unfortunately I can't see the mercs pulling out a hero moment.

But yes, the Alonso win would be epic if it can happen, Ferrari if it can't and even a consolation prize of a Perez win would be preferable to another weekend of horner-marko-max-pundits circle jerk.

On the positive front, qualifying at Monaco is usually exciting and we've got a proper race track next weekend (even if it's not the most exciting track at least they've taken out the last chicane)

1 hour ago, Andicis said:

Boooo Max steals pole at the end. Would have loved to see Alonso starting from first.

Even the max fans wanted Alonso on pole if they're honest with themselves.

Also, I think Ocon and Yuki get my shout outs for a good effort in that one.

Massive L of the day goes to Perez. I assume Dr Marko was giving him a "I'm putting Danny in the car" kind of pep talk right before qualifying.

The rain made the race a little better. As much as I hate to say it, good race from Verstappen. Did everything he needed to do. Sainz, Stroll and Perez with absolute disaster classes. That's why Perez will never be a title challenger. Not bad from that new Merc, at the least it looks stable. Shout out to Ocon for a brilliant weekend. 

Just now, Andicis said:

The rain made the race a little better. As much as I hate to say it, good race from Verstappen. Did everything he needed to do. Sainz, Stroll and Perez with absolute disaster classes. That's why Perez will never be a title challenger. Not bad from that new Merc, at the least it looks stable. Shout out to Ocon for a brilliant weekend. 

Yes, I think Ocon gets my driver of the day shout.

Perez ended any credibility of fighting Max yesterday with his bone head move in qualifying (it was soooo bad, not trying to take a bit too much, he just completely missed his breaking point..........) so today being also bad from him was largely irrelevent, although can't help but think if it had been Max, he'd have worked himself some points.

Just now, RadioactiveWaste said:

Yes, I think Ocon gets my driver of the day shout.

Perez ended any credibility of fighting Max yesterday with his bone head move in qualifying (it was soooo bad, not trying to take a bit too much, he just completely missed his breaking point..........) so today being also bad from him was largely irrelevent, although can't help but think if it had been Max, he'd have worked himself some points.

Absolutely inexcusable what Perez did in Q1. No reason at all to be pushing so hard when that Redbull cruises into Q3 without effort. It'd be more forgivable if it was him pushing hard for a Q3 lap.