Formula 1 2023 and general Motorsport

RadioactiveWaste

I know it's a bit early with testing still a month away and "livery launch" possibly being the most naff F1 event type, but....

There is some news,

Max verstappen had a tantrum when his computer game broke.

Andretti Cadillac look set to be pushed by the FIA to come in and Horner has seduced Ford somehow.

Quite how the red bull \ Ford thing will work I'm not sure on,but last time ford were in the sport with jaguar racing, they had a board meeting that included the comment "Who is Edmund Irvine and why are we paying him so much?" The days of just asking the red bull fellah for many millions of pounds and him saying"sure, here you go" are gone.

Still, Horner Vs the Ford accounts division and corporate reputation and liabilities legal team is going to be fun.

The teams want rid of the FIA president, mostly because he's trying to have the FIA run F1 again instead of the teams.

The grid is still mourning the loss of GOATifi from the sport.

Ferrari haven't ferrarid things up yet.

Alonso hasn't fallen out with Aston Martin/ daddy Stroll yet, but give it time.

Ocon is working hard on how he's going to punt Gasly at the first turn of the first race, just for poops and giggles.

Perez is working on how he's going to give Danny Ricciardo food poisoning for two whole seasons.

F1 social media is calm, relaxed and contemplative, set to continue until 5 minutes after testing starts.

20 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Happy new F1 season. 

The RB19 livery has been shown and it's looking hugely different from the previous iterations before it...

4 weeks today until FP1 in Bahrain, I can't wait! 

All the excitment of the new Red Bull Livery!

It's....oh....it's the same as it is every year.

In other motorsports news:

Rally Sweden is next weekend.

As fans of youtuber Josh Revell will be aware it is the New Zeland Gradn Prix this weekend (like 3AM sunday I think, FIA F3 cars).

There is motorsport going on at the middle east tracks, no idea what but it's probably being streamed on youtube if your board.

There's still a wait until MotoGP and vairious sportscar racing gets underway, although IMSA kicked off last weekend with the Daytona 24, think their next race is as Sebring in a few weeks.

It seems so long, over the winter, but the returnong of motorsports does feel like the coming of sprint to me.

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Soon we'll get to testing which will be a bit more informative, but yes, seems a fair bit of copying the smart kids homework going on. #

I'm interested to see if Merc continue their zero pods this year, or copy red bull.

I think Merc will stick. I think they believe their concept has the most potential to be quick, and if anyone can do it, it's them. A lot of the other teams seem to be going down the RB and Ferrari route so the Merc will be fascinating to watch as a concept out on its own. 

2 hours ago, Andicis said:

I think Merc will stick. I think they believe their concept has the most potential to be quick, and if anyone can do it, it's them. A lot of the other teams seem to be going down the RB and Ferrari route so the Merc will be fascinating to watch as a concept out on its own. 

Yeah, they obviously see some great potential in the floor going that way, but last season it just didn't work in practice - with a season of real world data they could refine the idea. 

We'll have to see but I hope both Ferrari and Merc are on pace this year and stay on the pace all year.

I think Aston Martin are looking likely to get in the McLaren/alpine fight.

Hopefully Haas/sauberaudi/alphatauri is a good fight and please, Williams, be better.

Hmmm. Been watching the new car 'reveals' with a growing sense of 'déjà vu et ennui'. Hopefully Mercedes stick to their principles and don't lump in with the crowd. Quite like the McLaren to be fair, but not much on view thus far that breaks the mould.

Aesthetics aside, here's hoping that Ferrari produce a reliable car, that Sainz and Leclerc avoid brainfarts (and eachother) and that Merc have done enough aero work to produce a car that can run to its potential. Not sure I can cope with another season of the manbaby vanishing off into the distance. Testing will give us a few clues, no doubt. Hopefully Hammy and Russell exit the car after first runs with a smile on their faces this time around.

10 hours ago, Alpha said:

Oh dear. Is that really what it's come down to? 

It's almost certainly Lewis pushing to have the Merc painted black, but as far a weight saving goes, there are suggestions that the colour of the paint can make signifcant savings.

If you saw the documentary on Dave Brailsford when his cycling team were winning everything (obviously ignoring any drug related help they were alledged to have had), one of Brailsford's guiding principles was to micro-examine every single element of the team - they made numerous minor changes to save weight - a few grams here or there may sound insignificant, but when that is applied across numerous areas, the overall saving is worthwhile....