Formula 1 2023 and general Motorsport

RadioactiveWaste

59 minutes ago, ziggyram59 said:

Does anyone think Red Bull will wing every race? If not who do you think they can challenge them to a race win? I can only see Alonso challenging them myself. 

Through chance and misfortune someone will get one off them. On pure merit it's hard to see anyone overhauling them.

I still suspect Aston Martin will fall away a bit in the development race, but I expect Ferrari and Merc to improve but still be behind the red bull as it develops.

I also suspect (Monaco brain fart aside) Perez to be a bit better equipped to handle the red bull upgrades this season than the last couple where he just couldn't handle the later versions of the car on the limit the way max could. But we'll see on that one.

If I were a bookie I'd probably pay out now on the max wdc and red bull WCC.

But, the world of Motorsport doesn't end with F1.

4 hours ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Through chance and misfortune someone will get one off them. On pure merit it's hard to see anyone overhauling them.

I still suspect Aston Martin will fall away a bit in the development race, but I expect Ferrari and Merc to improve but still be behind the red bull as it develops.

I also suspect (Monaco brain fart aside) Perez to be a bit better equipped to handle the red bull upgrades this season than the last couple where he just couldn't handle the later versions of the car on the limit the way max could. But we'll see on that one.

If I were a bookie I'd probably pay out now on the max wdc and red bull WCC.

But, the world of Motorsport doesn't end with F1.

Sorry RadioactiveWaste it does with me no interest in any other car or bike formula's/ superbikes etc. 

23 minutes ago, ziggyram59 said:

RadioactiveWaste who would you say are the top 5 Formula1 drivers you have seen in your era? My top 5 would be. 

1. Senna. 2. Prost. 3. Lauda. 4. Schumacher. 5. Hamilton. 

Best 5, not fave 5:

1. Schumacher, 2. Prost, 3. Senna, 4. Alonso 5. Hamilton.

Stewart and Lauder are just ahead of my time but I remember the end of the prost senna days in the early 90s.

Favourite 5:

1. Mansel, 2. Senna, 3. Mark Webber, 4. Mika Hakkonen 5. Montoya

35 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Best 5, not fave 5:

1. Schumacher, 2. Prost, 3. Senna, 4. Alonso 5. Hamilton.

Stewart and Lauder are just ahead of my time but I remember the end of the prost senna days in the early 90s.

Favourite 5:

1. Mansel, 2. Senna, 3. Mark Webber, 4. Mika Hakkonen 5. Montoya

My favourite 5 would be similar to yours. 1. Mansell. 2. Hamilton. 3. Senna. 4. Gilles Villeneuve. 5. Jenson Button. 

Well, a drying track caused a bit of drama including a hair trigger red flag before anyone set a lap time in qualifying.

The track evolution caught out Charles Leclerc who was out in Q1 and Perez was very luck to get through in p15.

Q2 caught out Georgey boy and checo, perez doing another big mistake into a gravel trap with the pressure on, he kept it going but trashed his tyres and even though he got a lap in it wasn't good enough. I think Marko doing everything he can to turn Sergio Perez into red bull era Pierre Gasly is working becuse thats the impression he's giving over the last few.

So, Q3, i had do dog duties but it was pretty clear Max had it in the bag. P2 went to Smooth oporator Carlos Sainz whilst Lando who had been having a great session stuck it on P3. Both McLaren and Alpine looking like they've made strides in sorting their cars out.

Baby Stroll will have no doubt upset daddy stroll by out qualifying "new son" Fernando for once.

A good effort from Gasly is likely to undon by grid pens for blocking drivers on flying laps twice. Good effort shout out however goes to Hulkenberg (as well as Lando) - the Haas is not a good car this season and a Q3 outing is a good result.

Finally, I'm sorry Charles, it's my fault, I predicted you for pole in my fantasy F1 and clearly that's what did for you.

1 Max VERSTAPPEN Red Bull Racing 1:12.272
2 Carlos SAINZ Ferrari +0.462
3 Lando NORRIS McLaren +0.520
4 Pierre GASLY Alpine +0.544
5 Lewis HAMILTON Mercedes +0.546
6 Lance STROLL Aston Martin +0.722
7 Esteban OCON Alpine +0.811
8 Nico HULKENBERG Haas F1 Team +0.957
9 Fernando ALONSO Aston Martin +1.235
10 Oscar PIASTRI McLaren +1.410
11 Sergio PEREZ Red Bull Racing 1:13.334
12 George RUSSELL Mercedes 1:13.447
13 Guanyu ZHOU Alfa Romeo 1:13.521
14 Nyck DE VRIES AlphaTauri 1:14.083
15 Yuki TSUNODA AlphaTauri 1:14.477
16 Valtteri BOTTAS Alfa Romeo 1:13.977
17 Kevin MAGNUSSEN Haas F1 Team 1:14.042
18 Alexander ALBON Williams 1:14.063
19 Charles LECLERC Ferrari 1:14.079
20 Logan SARGEANT Williams 1:14.699

6 hours ago, ziggyram59 said:

Another procession for Red Bull. Be nice to see Hamilton get in top 3. 

Great effort from both Mercedes, especially Georgey boy for working his way ahead of Perez.

The layout change certainly seems to have helped the racing.

Some vigorous scrapping for the low end of the points and a mildly interesting strategy battle. It's hard to get that excited when max piddled off into the distance yet again but hey ho, F1 is like this some of the time.

32 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Great effort from both Mercedes, especially Georgey boy for working his way ahead of Perez.

The layout change certainly seems to have helped the racing.

Some vigorous scrapping for the low end of the points and a mildly interesting strategy battle. It's hard to get that excited when max piddled off into the distance yet again but hey ho, F1 is like this some of the time.

Another walk in the park for Verstropon, but Merc will be pretty happy I'd have thought. First proper test of the upgrades and room for further improvement. The RBR machine is untouchable, but Merc will be thinking 2nd place in the WCC is definitely on and that looked impossible a couple of weeks back.

As for the track, yes, a definite improvement and some good dices behind the leaders. A decent effort from Sergio as you say, but it was a poor effort from him that led him to satrt so far back in the first place. He's been really disappointing since Baku. Russell did well but I'm not sure drivers should be allowed to gain places on the run-off areas. I'd be quite annoyed if I was one of the drivers he was dicing with and I'd actually made the corner.

Still, a positive (ish) weekend for the sport in general and perhaps more life to breathe into the season yet if Merc can find abnother tenth or two.

Edited by 86 Hair Islands

11 minutes ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Russell did well but I'm not sure drivers should be allowed to gain places on the run-off areas. I'd be quite annoyed if I was one of the drivers he was dicing with and I'd actually made the corner.

Oh yes I'd forgot about that! I think he got lucky the stewards didn't call a pen for that, but he defo got an advantage even with some first turn leaway gven.

6 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Oh yes I'd forgot about that! I think he got lucky the stewards didn't call a pen for that, but he defo got an advantage even with some first turn leaway gven.

I'm not sure what with the alterations to the track, but perhaps it wasn't clear until now that an advantage could be gained and therefore the stewards had no remit to penalise him. It seems an odd one if not.

Something to look at for nest season maybe. Some of those zig-zag walls they use elsewhere to slow cars using the escape routes might make sense.

I didn't realise that Verstappen is also a very serious sim racer. I know a lot of the drivers do take part in sim racing. (Ocon getting a full meltdown from one of sim racings biggest babies) but Verstappen is very serious, and unsurprisingly, very good. 

Said he spends 40/50 hours practice. 

Now, look at his Mrs and imagine spending every spare moment away from F1 in a virtual car. 

He deserves to be world champion. That dedication...

21 minutes ago, Alpha said:

I didn't realise that Verstappen is also a very serious sim racer. I know a lot of the drivers do take part in sim racing. (Ocon getting a full meltdown from one of sim racings biggest babies) but Verstappen is very serious, and unsurprisingly, very good. 

Said he spends 40/50 hours practice. 

Now, look at his Mrs and imagine spending every spare moment away from F1 in a virtual car. 

He deserves to be world champion. That dedication...

He's certainly not James Hunt.

He had a massive mantrum about connection issues in one SIM race I seem to remember.

I still can't get excited about sim racing. I know it's valid as a training tool, especially as testing has been massively reduced, but, if I'm going to watch people play computer games of rather watch games that are fantastical than games that mimic real events.

You never know, maybe max just doesn't feel emotionally connected to his partner with all the pressure that comes with being a world champion driver and the presumed leader of the next Dutch golden age.