Formula 1 2023 and general Motorsport

RadioactiveWaste

Charles Leclerc you donut/beauty!

Interesting grid, although i do fear a drs inevitability that the mix up will only remain mixed up for a few laps.

However, if I were a betting man, I'd be willing to put someone else's house on Fernando grabbing the lead on lap 1. Yes, the red bull will drs right back by, but your classic Alonso moment is almost a certainty. Although, he could do the viewing public a favor and tell Esteban to "defend like a lion" as well.

Qualifying report:

https://www.planetf1.com/news/qualifying-report-2023-miami-grand-prix/

1 Sergio PEREZ Red Bull 1:26.841
2 Fernando ALONSO Aston Martin +0.361
3 Carlos SAINZ Ferrari +0.508
4 Kevin MAGNUSSEN Haas +0.926
5 Pierre GASLY Alpine +0.945
6 George RUSSELL Mercedes +0.963
7 Charles LECLERC Ferrari +1.020
8 Esteban OCON Alpine +1.094
9 Max VERSTAPPEN Red Bull NO TIME SET
10 Valtteri BOTTAS Alfa Romeo NO TIME SET
11 Alexander ALBON Williams 1:27.795
12 Nico HULKENBERG Haas  +0.108
13 Lewis HAMILTON Mercedes +0.180
14 ZHOU Guanyu Alfa Romeo +0.296
15 Nyck DE VRIES AlphaTauri +0.600
16 Lando NORRIS McLaren 1:28.394
17 Yuki TSUNODA AlphaTauri +0.035
18 Lance STROLL Aston Martin +0.082
19 Oscar PIASTRI McLaren +0.090
20 Logan SARGEANT Williams +0.183

Yet another weekend of ‘upgrades’ from Mercedes that actually seem to make them less competitive…

I saw a comment from Lewis who suggested the underlying issue (other than a lack of straight line speed) is the overall design of the car which means the driver is sitting further forward than in any of their competitors, making it harder to balance the car through the corners - think he’ll be gone at the end of the season if they can’t provide a competitive car….

Before the F1 this evening, there is British Tourning cars from the hugely fun Brands hatch indi circuit. Live on ITV4 all afternoon. as well as the BTCC races there's usually a bunch of support races that tent to be fun, short and a bit "i always used to try that move in gran turismo"

There's also British GT from silverstone on the GT World youtube channel, although unless you're really into endurance/sports car racing, i'd recommend sticking with BTCC for fun and action.

Back to F1, yes, Mercedes are not happy campers. Apparently toto calling the car a nasty piece of work was toned down from what he wanted to say...Also wondering how Oscar "loyalty" Piastri is feeling now Alpine have finally fixed their car (it's my own fault for keeping putting Ocon in my fantasy team).

And of course, K-Mag had a nice qquali even if i expect him to go backwards all race.

Edited by RadioactiveWaste

Lewis you have been a fantastic 7 times champion, but do yourself a favour just retire from F1 at the end of the season you have nothing else to prove and to drive round to end up between 5th to 8th in a Mercedes car which is awful. Go off to America and get involved in music/film projects. Just my opinion I'm sure many will disagree. 

15 hours ago, Gaspode said:

Yet another weekend of ‘upgrades’ from Mercedes that actually seem to make them less competitive…

I saw a comment from Lewis who suggested the underlying issue (other than a lack of straight line speed) is the overall design of the car which means the driver is sitting further forward than in any of their competitors, making it harder to balance the car through the corners - think he’ll be gone at the end of the season if they can’t provide a competitive car….

Mercedes haven't had any upgrades in Miami? Their upgrades are coming in Imola, that's the big package. They brought absolutely nada to Miami. 

47 minutes ago, Andicis said:

This season is completely over as a spectacle unless by some miracle the Mercs or Aston Martin can upgrade anywhere close to RB. Checo isn't good enough to consistently put Verstappen under pressure. Rubbish race!

That's what makes it extra boring. Not just the car dominance but Perez is no threat to Verstappen. 

It was so easy to call right from the first two races.

The pundits and commentators are gonna struggle to hype this season up. It will be wrapped up soon! 

Just now, Alpha said:

That's what makes it extra boring. Not just the car dominance but Perez is no threat to Verstappen. 

It was so easy to call right from the first two races.

The pundits and commentators are gonna struggle to hype this season up. It will be wrapped up soon! 

At least that dominant Merc had Rosberg to challenge Hamilton. Absolutely nothing here, just a series of races that Max is going to be 30 seconds in the horizon with Checo a distant second, and with the cost cap it's incredibly difficult to close that gap with a car **that** dominant. 

Sadly there was an air of inevitability about this one. Checo wasn't quite on it the way he had been in Jeddah and Baku and Max definitely brought his a-game. The RB has over half a second a lap in race trim on pretty much the entire field so all we have is a plucky Mexican who is very much his team's #2. I honestly think we could see an RBR car win every race this season. Depressing AF. 

10 hours ago, EnigmaRam said:

Well this seasons pretty rubbish tbh. But for the first time ever I’m taking my son to the British Grand Prix for his 16th birthday. Can’t wait 

Well jel! Might be biased, but I do think Silverstone is a pretty awesome place to watch motor racing. Hope you and you lad have a fab time.

Meanwhile, Imola looms. Anyone hearing anything interesting on these Merc upgrades? Merc have been quite discreet but Toto has implied that they are pretty substantial:

"What we are doing is we're introducing a new bodywork and we're introducing a new floor and we're doing a new front suspension," he said.

"That's a pretty large operation, a large surgery and so there is going to be a lot of learning."

That's half a new car!!! 

Clutching at straws a bit, I guess, but really hoping that this makes them a deal quicker than of late, otherwise this season is done and dusted already.

1 hour ago, Gaspode said:

Imola off.....

F1 Announcement

Booooooooo! Was actually looking forward to this one. After the street circuits which seldom seem to provide much actual racing, Imola is a proper F1 circuit. Such a shame, but obviously put firmly in perspective by the suffering brought about by the floods. 

As for the teams, Merc won't be happy despite having another to tweek the new gizmos.

Monaco bound 🤐