Christmas markets?

RoyMac5

Yeah, I know it's a bit early, although Sainsburys have been pushing mini mince pies at me in my online shopping for at least a week!

So I was thinking it might be fun to go to a European Christmas market and was wondering if anyone had visited any particularly good ones? ?

7 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Yeah, I know it's a bit early, although Sainsburys have been pushing mini mince pies at me in my online shopping for at least a week!

So I was thinking it might be fun to go to a European Christmas market and was wondering if anyone had visited any particularly good ones? ?

Tat. Absolute tat!

More tatty than Fantasy Island market in Ingoldmells.

3 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

So no-one been to any of the foreign ones? Berlin looks good.

https://www.visitberlin.de/en/tips-christmas-markets-berlin

But maybe a bit of hygge? Not a beer @Boycie ?

https://bornholm.info/en/christmas-market/

I went to Nottingham/Birmingham  Xmas markets, nowt in it for me, couldn’t eat any of the food (wheat free) couldn’t get into the beer tent/area. All over priced produce because the sellers had to cover their stall charge. I thought markets where supposed to be cheaper?

Hopefully the European markets are better, after you’ve taken the air fair and accommodation into account.

It seems to be a female thing, call me a sexist, but I recon it’s all for the ‘gram and Facebook me.

3 minutes ago, Boycie said:

I went to Nottingham/Birmingham  Xmas markets, nowt in it for me, couldn’t eat any of the food (wheat free) couldn’t get into the beer tent/area. All over priced produce because the sellers had to cover their stall charge. I thought markets where supposed to be cheaper?

Hopefully the European markets are better, after you’ve taken the air fair and accommodation into account.

It seems to be a female thing, call me a sexist, but I recon it’s all for the ‘gram and Facebook me.

Lol. Plenty of decent beer in Germany, maybe not gluten free though. ?

Like a bit of sparkle and tradition at Christmas, blame Albert for bringing over the Christmas tree! 

27 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Lol. Plenty of decent beer in Germany, maybe not gluten free though. ?

Like a bit of sparkle and tradition at Christmas, blame Albert for bringing over the Christmas tree! 

I think they were already over here weren’t they?

Not the trees ?

6 minutes ago, Boycie said:

I think they were already over here weren’t they?

Not the trees ?

Ahh it was another German, Queen Charlotte wife of George III, in 1800.

https://www.historytoday.com/archive/history-matters/first-christmas-tree

"That year Queen Charlotte planned to hold a large Christmas party for the children of all the principal families in Windsor. And casting about in her mind for a special treat to give the youngsters, she suddenly decided that instead of the customary yew bough, she would pot up an entire yew tree, cover it with baubles and fruit, load it with presents and stand it in the middle of the drawing-room floor at Queen’s Lodge. Such a tree, she considered, would make an enchanting spectacle for the little ones to gaze upon. It certainly did.

When the children arrived at the house on the evening of Christmas Day and beheld that magical tree, all aglitter with tinsel and glass, they believed themselves transported straight to fairyland and their happiness knew no bounds." (Lol!)

Edited by RoyMac5

2 minutes ago, Skin em Ted said:

Even the small towns in Germany are much better than the efforts in this country. Warm up with a nice hot mug of gluhwein and amoretto. Hamburg is the best I’ve been to, though most German cities will be good. Austria supposedly good too.

How small a town? Birmingham’s market is quite large.

4 minutes ago, Skin em Ted said:

Not been to Birmingham one to be fair… went to one in a town called Celle North Germany which was as big and classier than Nottingham’s

Well, if they don’t sell tea cups full of wax and a wick then they’re classier than Nottingham.

Not sure where churros come into a German Xmas market either tbh.

10 hours ago, Boycie said:

Madri will make you poop through the eye of a needle.

If I had diarrhea like that, the last thing on my mind would be looking for a needle to make a game out of it. I'd be more focused on getting my jeans down in time to hit the bowl than worrying about bragging rights based on the accuracy of my explosive evacuation. 

11 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

When to Brugge one year. Nice medieval city, not too large and some nice shops and the market was good if not too large either. Was about 14 years ago though