The Oldies "I remember when" thread

Elwood P Dowd

PEN PALS!

Whatever happened to them?

I had one such female version... from France, no less! 

A bit of a looker too*... although even Miss Lusardi herself wouldn't have been able to drag the 14 year old me away from a football pitch back then!

Oh, How I'd laugh whenever Mum told me I'd had another French letter in the post!

*For the record, Mademoiselle Penpal sent me a passport style pic in with one of her letters.  We never met in person.  I suppose she could have looked like a pig, and the pic was actually of her neighbour or summat!    ?

2 hours ago, Stive Pesley said:

and if you made a small error in your coding sheet??

0 for O and vice-versa was common - and different places used different conventions (some places insisted that you drew a line through the circle to indicate zero, others applied the same rule to indicate the letter 'O'.

I used to sight-check my punched cards. I could read them even if they hadn't been interpreted, and I always had spare cards and a hand-punch so I could substitute a corrected card - but generally, punch room girls were super-heroes and understood the context.

8 hours ago, Elwood P Dowd said:

At one time people were prosecuted for having a chimney fire ? Their names were published in the Telegraph, oh the shame of it.

There were some terrible fogs/smogs in the 50s and 60s, all that coal smoke I suspect.

Our chimney had a particularly nasty bend in it which was difficult to keep free of soot. I only remembering it happening once. It was in the evening and it was dark. Mum and dad got us out of bed and passed us over to our neighbours. Mrs Wetherill sat me on her knee and sang 'Daisy, Daisy...' to me until I calmed down.

We lived in a village so I'm not sure whether it was fog or smog, but I miss those journeys to school where the world had turned into ghostly shadows! It was very mysterious and atmospheric.

1 hour ago, FindernRam said:

Steam Tables Books.  Logarithm Tables with Sine Cosine Tangent etc. Slide rules: Mine was bamboo and oiled with wax. Super smooth action. Pity about the user!

Oxford geometry sets in a tin that never closed properly.

Silly old Harry caught a herring trawling off Afghanistan. (Sine cosine Tangent)

Bodmas

1 hour ago, Elwood P Dowd said:

Silly old Harry caught a herring trawling off Afghanistan. (Sine cosine Tangent)

Bodmas

Now do the reactivity of metals.....

Please send cats, monkeys and zebras in large cages. Make sure padlocked.

When climbing trees and falling out of them was better than playing on an iPhone...broke both arms and legs at different times, I had my own bed at the Childrens hospital ? I was lucky only a 3minute walk from Chadd Park and the Woods, Plenty of trees and box bushes to jump into, Then brook jumping and not trying to fall in the water, Rope swing flying through the air to the other side of the bank, Throwing sticks to knock the Conkers down, Getting Mums knitting needles to pierce a whole through the conker getting a shoelace to thread through it, Tie a knot and away you go to smack hell out of your mates conker or his wrist ?

Jumpers for goalposts...what days they were ? 

When I was young we used to watch the original Andy Pandy series of children’s on the TV it wasn’t cartoons as this was Black a white 1950s TV

I was ok with Andy Pandy and Teddy as they were dolls who lived in a basket and came to life when no one was around, that’s fair enough and reasonable.

Now this is the odd bit that used to get me a little confused, Andy Pandy and Teddy had their own doll called Looby Loo and she only came to life when Andy Pandy and Teddy were not around.????

I could accept Andy Pandy and Teddy coming to life but Looby Loo was alway a just a step too far for me, metaphysical.

I didn’t have any issues with Bill and Ben the flower pot men or the Wooden tops, just Looby Loo…..a dolls doll ????

Edited by Elwood P Dowd

13 hours ago, Elwood P Dowd said:

When I was young we used to watch the original Andy Pandy series of children’s on the TV it wasn’t cartoons as this was Black a white 1950s TV

I was ok with Andy Pandy and Teddy as they were dolls who lived in a basket and came to life when no one was around, that’s fair enough and reasonable.

Now this is the odd bit that used to get me a little confused, Andy Pandy and Teddy had their own doll called Looby Loo and she only came to life when Andy Pandy and Teddy were not around.????

I could accept Andy Pandy and Teddy coming to life but Looby Loo was alway a just a step too far for me, metaphysical.

I didn’t have any issues with Bill and Ben the flower pot men or the Wooden tops, just Looby Loo…..a dolls doll ????

Yep remember those days, Our TV took an eternity to "warm up" then that black line moving up or down the TV, Auntie Jean with her crowd of animals, The best one was Muffin the Mule, It wasn't until I was old enough that I found out that a Muffin was something you had before bedtime ?