Craig Forsyth - 1 year extension

13 hours ago, jono said:

Is he making the best contribution of his whole career now ? What a player. My MOTM today but that stands along side a great period of consistent good form all season. He’s looked a rock at the back. Using his football nous to outwit younger faster players. Strength and height help but he anticipates such a lot and his use of the ball under pressure has been excellent. Seems to know when to put a foot through it or be a little more deft and subtle

Well played today Fozzy .. good on you Mr Ram 

All of this, I’d add I don’t think he’s that slow either compared to some cloggers at this level.

His experience and reading of the game is more than a cut above at league 1 level; I’m genuinely intrigued to see if he could play centre half in the championship now? Actually think he could based on performances against the better teams in this league.

1 hour ago, Zag zig said:

All of this, I’d add I don’t think he’s that slow either compared to some cloggers at this level.

His experience and reading of the game is more than a cut above at league 1 level; I’m genuinely intrigued to see if he could play centre half in the championship now? Actually think he could based on performances against the better teams in this league.

You’re right. I mentioned younger faster players, perhaps in error or just a knee jerk cliche when talking about the over 30’s

He isn’t as quick off the mark in acceleration terms but max speed is still the same. His fitness is remarkable. There aren’t many at his age that still have fuel in the tank after 90 mins and Fozzy always seems to have enough. Yes, he could play CB in the championship, no doubt in my mind. Cashin isn’t hugely pacy but CB’s that read the game are special. Both of them are. 

19 hours ago, jono said:

Is he making the best contribution of his whole career now ?

Certainly up there, but he's been a consistent performer for many years now. He was vital to the way we played in 13/14, where he was virtually a left midfielder. We scored a fair few with him cutting the ball back from the goal line to Martin or Bryson, or we'd build up with him firing the ball into Martin's feet with a runner getting in behind.

I think the criticism has often come from the fact that his body hasn't always been able to execute what his brain wanted him to do. He always saw the pass, better than almost anyone, but wasn't always great at making the pass happen. I think this led to a myth about him being accident-prone.

He's always been a beast in aerial duels and difficult to get past defensively. I think he'll see out his career at CB.

25 minutes ago, Duracell said:

Certainly up there, but he's been a consistent performer for many years now. He was vital to the way we played in 13/14, where he was virtually a left midfielder. We scored a fair few with him cutting the ball back from the goal line to Martin or Bryson, or we'd build up with him firing the ball into Martin's feet with a runner getting in behind.

I think the criticism has often come from the fact that his body hasn't always been able to execute what his brain wanted him to do. He always saw the pass, better than almost anyone, but wasn't always great at making the pass happen. I think this led to a myth about him being accident-prone.

He's always been a beast in aerial duels and difficult to get past defensively. I think he'll see out his career at CB.

I'd still like him to have a crack at the full back role. He's a great outlet for the keeper to play it long, which is Warne's preferred way. He puts in a ball from the left wing, as good as anyone currently on the books. Finally, I'd love to see him picking up a couple of goals, coming in on the far post. 

On 28/12/2022 at 18:10, ram59 said:

I'd still like him to have a crack at the full back role. He's a great outlet for the keeper to play it long, which is Warne's preferred way. He puts in a ball from the left wing, as good as anyone currently on the books. Finally, I'd love to see him picking up a couple of goals, coming in on the far post. 

Dead right he has been really useful in the past playing high on the left and he is the best of our crossers from that side. But recently Sibley has done that well - Hourihane can do it of course - and Barkhuizen buzzes very effectively around that quadrant. I’d say Fozzie is now most valuable at CB with the odd foray into their penalty box for set pieces as you suggest.  It’s not clear that Curtis will return with the mobility required so I think we need to keep Fozzie’s mileage under control