Gotta love Extinction Rebellion

Bob The Badger

1 hour ago, Wolfie said:

Judging by your assertion above that it's a hoax because the UK is having a bit of cool weather, I would say that's exactly the case.

The Bast**d Jet Stream Lost us the Old Trafford test but won us the Oval Test, And on Saturday when we play Wigan in the height of our Summer we'll be wearing our rain coats and using umbrellas 😡

The jet stream has stalled due to the continued warming of the Arctic, which has created a smaller difference in temperature between the equator and the poles1. The northern polar jet stream is weakening in strength as a result of climate change, causing the band of wind to sway off course2. Temperatures have reached as high as 30ºC in parts of the Artic Circle in recent days1.

2 hours ago, The Last Post said:

The Bast**d Jet Stream Lost us the Old Trafford test but won us the Oval Test, And on Saturday when we play Wigan in the height of our Summer we'll be wearing our rain coats and using umbrellas 😡

The jet stream has stalled due to the continued warming of the Arctic, which has created a smaller difference in temperature between the equator and the poles1. The northern polar jet stream is weakening in strength as a result of climate change, causing the band of wind to sway off course2. Temperatures have reached as high as 30ºC in parts of the Artic Circle in recent days1.

Yeah, and this meandering jet stream, is one of the reasons why climate change can, as well as warming the Arctic, lead to some parts of the world experiencing freezing cold winters, even as the globe warms overall. Especially at our latitudes. 

5 hours ago, Archied said:

I’ve worked outside on roofs 6 days a week in the main for the last 36 years ,,, boiling the globe is not , though I can see how staying inside with the doors locked , curtains shut and full of anxiety watching the mainstream media one could swallow all this end of the world is nigh guff , jeez there’s so much out there that’s going to kill us 😂, but don’t worry our politicians and scientists and modellers can save us if we just spend spend spend and do as they say , it’s very much putting me in mind of why organised religion was devised and how it was used ,, fear fear fear ,   We can save you ,, yes please save us no matter what 

Pop Tv GIF by Schitt's Creek

2 hours ago, Highgate said:

Yeah, and this meandering jet stream, is one of the reasons why climate change can, as well as warming the Arctic, lead to some parts of the world experiencing freezing cold winters, even as the globe warms overall. Especially at our latitudes. 

So are you saying the globe won’t boil , some places will get hotter some will get colder ?

39 minutes ago, Archied said:

So are you saying the globe won’t boil , some places will get hotter some will get colder ?

I'm saying the effect of a slower more unstable Polar Jet Stream (caused by the Arctic warming more quickly than the tropics) is that weather patterns will become more unpredictable, so expect things like record highs in Siberia and Alaska in winter while North America and Europe freeze, or scenarios like that.  

Specifically, that's the effect on our climate caused by the weakening Jet Streams (it's the Northern Polar one that chiefly concerns us in Europe).  Simultaneously, the overall effect of increasing greenhouse gases in our atmosphere is that global air temperatures will increase, on average, by about 3 degrees celsius (on our current trajectory)

14 hours ago, Archied said:

Or it could turn out your wrong and it’s a massive over reaction going hand in hand with a political and corporate drive for more taxation and forced consumerism, it really makes me giggle how some just think they are in the right and those who question are just people who don’t get it 😂

Oh gawd.

It just isn't. The science is a proven; we've wrapped the planet in a cozy blanket of greenhouse gases and the climate is changing. It's not been in doubt for decades now, and the consequences will be awful.

Governments from China and the USA, India and europe are all on board...when do they ever agree on anything?

What would be better for 'taxation and forced consumerism'...everyone having a mass stress or everyone confidently going about their lives? 

Blaming this on some global conspiracy is perhaps the most inane position any human could take on any issue at this point. Criminally silly.

It doesn't matter though. Too late. 

9 hours ago, Archied said:

'Global warming' doesn't mean everywhere on Earth is getting hotter. It means the global average temperature is increasing. Since some players will get cooler, that means some places are getting a lot hotter.

For the last million years, the Earth has gone through periodic ice age cycles. This has been due to natural fluctuations in CO2 levels. I think we both agree on that, don't we? The difference here is, we've taken CO2 levels to a much higher levels (about 50% higher), to a period when humans didn't exist. We're halfway to Antarctica being warm enough to be covered in forests.

7 hours ago, Needlesh said:

Oh gawd.

It just isn't. The science is a proven; we've wrapped the planet in a cozy blanket of greenhouse gases and the climate is changing. It's not been in doubt for decades now, and the consequences will be awful.

Governments from China and the USA, India and europe are all on board...when do they ever agree on anything?

What would be better for 'taxation and forced consumerism'...everyone having a mass stress or everyone confidently going about their lives? 

Blaming this on some global conspiracy is perhaps the most inane position any human could take on any issue at this point. Criminally silly.

I don’t know whether you are just not paying attention or kidding yourself 

uk is the only government to set laws on itself ( us citizens) with fines and the like for rigid targets ,,, 

the others you mention are paying lip service saying one thing doing another

the Chinese on board ? They are building coal fired power stations like Usain Bolt on steroids whilst they grow they’re economy becoming the world’s manufacturers 😂

I see the guy at the top has just bagged his family a billion pound deal with BP, funnily enough just before announcing these new licenses were granted in the North Sea. That's not a political statement, that's fact. 

Some nice ammo for Just Stop Oil to use and quite rightly. 

Oh gawd.

I don’t know whether you are just not paying attention or kidding yourself 

uk is the only government to set laws on itself ( us citizens) with fines and the like for rigid targets ,,, 

the others you mention are paying lip service saying one thing doing another

the Chinese on board ? They are building coal fired power stations like Usain Bolt on steroids whilst they grow they’re economy becoming the world’s manufacturers 😂
the Americans ,,, well they have started fracking the backside out of the country and not only are they now fossil fuel self reliant/ secure they are exporting it around the world in liquid gas form to countries including us , we take it along with the wood pellets we I’m port to burn in fossil fuel power stations but he we are net zero 😂😂🤷🏻‍♂️

don’t even start on India 😂

the only thing criminally silly is ignoring the ever increasing stupid policies , green washing , figure juggling ,and fake hysteria 

the globe is on fire they scream ,,, nope a tiny tiny fraction are experiencing some wild fire , take Greece , it’s a tiny percentage of a couple of islands that plenty were still happily holidaying on let alone how tiny that percentage of Greece is ,let alone the tiny tiny percentage of the globe that is , pure hyperbolic fear mongering 

There are wildfires there every year ,the temp is / was nowhere near the temp that can cause spontaneous combustion ( look it up , your being conned ) the best you can say is the temp being a fraction higher for a tiny period could help make them spread more , coupled with wind conditions , now what no one on the beeb ect mentions is that they used to do things like controlled burning that kept these wildfires manageable but that was banned / stopped to stop air pollution 😂😂😂😂😂,

these fires are started by humans not climate change and the extent they spread is a lot down to lack of forestry management 🤷🏻‍♂️,

happy to talk about climate change on a proper level but just find myself laughing at the hysteria nowadays 🤷🏻‍♂️

7 hours ago, Archied said:

Happy to talk about climate change on a proper level but just find myself laughing at the hysteria nowadays 🤷🏻‍♂️

I couldn't be less hysterical. Calmly resigned. I've got mine, I won't starve. Our civilisation has destroyed it's own future. 

The governments know, the people know, the businesses know. Have done for decades...but our societies were not mature enough to act in time.

No point talking. It's over.

To deny that it's happening is crass silliness. Nothing more to be said.

On 28/07/2023 at 12:56, Carl Sagan said:

They only closed some more of their (working perfectly fine) nuclear power stations this April. April 2023!!!! If the situation was as desperate as you suggest, you might think they'd have kept them operating until the end of the war. But no, let's shift energy generation to (even more) coal instead.

More on the Germany situation here. A country massively ramping up its coal use because of ideology, yet we don't see these JSO and XR protesters hopping on a train to go there and shut the German economy down. Surely if you really wanted to make a difference, that's what you would do? Or perhaps they don't really care about that at all?

I couldn't be less hysterical. Calmly resigned. I've got mine, I won't starve. Our civilisation has destroyed it's own future. 

The governments know, the people know, the businesses know. Have done for decades...but our societies were not mature enough to act in time.

No point talking. It's over.

To deny that it's happening is crass silliness. Nothing more to be said.

So when do you reckon it al goes pop? 
personaly I believe if we go pop it will be from war mongers fighting for economic dominance 🤷🏻‍♂️

Edited by Archied

5 minutes ago, Archied said:

So when do you reckon it al goes pop? 
personaly I believe if we go pop it will be from war mongers fighting for economic dominance 🤷🏻‍♂️

Won't go pop as such, in my opinion, more a punctuated decline and erosion of living standards.

Competition for a decreasing pool of resources may make war more likely though. 

3 hours ago, Needlesh said:

Won't go pop as such, in my opinion, more a punctuated decline and erosion of living standards.

Competition for a decreasing pool of resources may make war more likely though. 

Ah , so we probably have similar views / concerns but see the threat coming from different direction, obviously I see this whole climate hysteria as not our main threat as I believe it’s overhyped and it’s something we will innovate over , my concern is much more the original green issues that have been buried by this stuff,, even this crisis is now being sold as fantastic growth opportunity,

the simple fact is we can’t grow grow grow on a planet that stays the same size , the answer is lowered consumption and waste and better distribution of wealth and resources, 

what we have now is part of the answer being sold as all of the answer and as such will cause more damage,

what age range are you needless ? No offence but I’m finding it interesting the age range of views

I'm 49. I vote tory more often than not. I am not a woolly liberal tree hugger. I have a science based career and background, so I'm used to asking the right questions when strong claims are made. The answers are all sickening.

There are other issues too, agreed.

However, climate is real, it's man made, and it's the single greatest issue by far, because it compounds itself and worsens everything else...and we've missed the boat to change anything.

Good to see that climate protestors have been reading this thread and realised that, on balance, previous tactics have probably been counter-productive.

Good to see them now go after not-normal people and the sort of people who could actually make a difference.

Whatever your views on climate change are, if you are running to be be Primeminister, you probably need more coherent ideas on it than "well in our house, my daughter sorts out the recylcing chortle chortle chortle".

1 hour ago, Needlesh said:

I'm 49. I vote tory more often than not. I am not a woolly liberal tree hugger. I have a science based career and background, so I'm used to asking the right questions when strong claims are made. The answers are all sickening.

Hmmm, not sure you are taking into account anecdotal evidence enough here. When I were a lad, I remember one summer when all the test matches were rained off. And I remember another one when it was scorching. And they used to ice skate on the River Thames.

And have you heard about that guy who smoked 40 a day and lived until they were 100. Just shows don't it?

1 hour ago, Needlesh said:

There are other issues too, agreed.

However, climate is real, it's man made, and it's the single greatest issue by far, because it compounds itself and worsens everything else...and we've missed the boat to change anything.

👍,,, you’ve opened a can of worms admitting voting Tory in here ,, best of luck with that one 💣😂