Gotta love Extinction Rebellion

Bob The Badger

1 hour ago, Highgate said:

'actually is my point people only want to talk about the cons in what they disagree with and the pros of what they want to replace it with',

That is what you said.  And instead of taking the opportunity of breaking that cycle you just keep wanting to discuss the cons of what you disagree with yourself.  So when you say 'people only want to talk......', just acknowledge that you are one of those people too.  

I'll start so, one disadvantage of going green is a reduction on the amount of farmed beef and dairy we eat.  Cheeseburgers are pretty tasty as far as I'm concerned. Another disadvantage is that some sustainably grown produce may be more expensive than organic alternatives, putting pressure on those people on the lowest incomes. 

Your turn, what are some disadvantages in maintaining a high carbon emitting economy? 

Jeez , do we really have to be this silly ? Do you really think that my stance is maintain high carbon ? ( though I’m far more concerned with other long standing planet wrecking issues that have been dropped like a stone) 

Fairfuel have had an independent group cost up the financial cost in meeting net zero deadlines set for U.K. and it’s staggering , take a look in the interest of balance and tell me how the hell this country does it given the absolute state we are in already 

these issues can only be addressed at a world level not on some unilateral nuclear disarmament basis , we destroy our country for what ? A pretence that we are carbon zero while we export our carbon production to China and the likes ,

so I don’t see too many pros of the U.K. being net zero unless we have designed a force field bubble that cover s the U.K. 

but in fairness convince me of the huge advantage of this mad rush to electric cars with some proper figures that take all factors into account not just what comes out the tailpipe because that is just a fraction of the carbon footprint of this headlong rushed forced switch

the cost forecast has been done by the cebr I believe

Edited by Archied

6 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

Some cynical folk could be forgiven for believing the powers that be have allowed those student protests to go on while having the ability to control hundreds and thousands at genuine protests, so the draconian, soviet type controls of the Public Order Act can go through without public outrage. 

Interesting to see abortion clinics being used to trial the 150m no protest zones.

Can't imagine there's much of a  crossover between the "Pro Life" set and environmental protesters for example.

9 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

Some cynical folk could be forgiven for believing the powers that be have allowed those student protests to go on while having the ability to control hundreds and thousands at genuine protests, so the draconian, soviet type controls of the Public Order Act can go through without public outrage. 

Also makes you wonder how covid policy/lockdown protests had next to no media coverage but these ones are all over the shop , they promote this uk net zero garbage that’s filling many peoples bank balances and all three main parties are driving perhaps?

I'm currently watching BBC2 where they poured all the milk away, The fella who's a spokesperson for Animal Rebellion...Robert Gordon is being lampooned for his views by the Pannell, He's apologised to those who have to clean the mess up...but...did these people pay for the milk or was it taken from the shelves and poured away that was never asked?

Loons the phucking lot of em?  

1 hour ago, Archied said:

Also makes you wonder how covid policy/lockdown protests had next to no media coverage but these ones are all over the shop , they promote this uk net zero garbage that’s filling many peoples bank balances and all three main parties are driving perhaps?

It's not really that complicated though is it? Have a bog standard protest where people just turn up and hang around peacefully and you get no coverage in the media. Do something controversial=get coverage. 

There are dozens of regular protests from Just Stop Oil that aren't getting mentioned at all. It's not a conspiracy. It's just how the media works

15 hours ago, Archied said:

Jeez , do we really have to be this silly ? Do you really think that my stance is maintain high carbon ? ( though I’m far more concerned with other long standing planet wrecking issues that have been dropped like a stone) 

Fairfuel have had an independent group cost up the financial cost in meeting net zero deadlines set for U.K. and it’s staggering , take a look in the interest of balance and tell me how the hell this country does it given the absolute state we are in already 

these issues can only be addressed at a world level not on some unilateral nuclear disarmament basis , we destroy our country for what ? A pretence that we are carbon zero while we export our carbon production to China and the likes ,

so I don’t see too many pros of the U.K. being net zero unless we have designed a force field bubble that cover s the U.K. 

but in fairness convince me of the huge advantage of this mad rush to electric cars with some proper figures that take all factors into account not just what comes out the tailpipe because that is just a fraction of the carbon footprint of this headlong rushed forced switch

the cost forecast has been done by the cebr I believe

Are you really telling me you can't see any benefit in the UK being net zero?  No benefit at all in the UK having it's own domestic green energy supply?  Leaving climate change aside for a moment, do you know how many people air pollution kills in the UK each year? The cost and the strain it put on the NHS every single year from people suffering from respiratory illnesses connected to air pollution.  Eliminating combustion engines and the burning of fossil fuels for industrial and domestic use will do wonders for air quality in the UK, one of the most densely populated countries in the Europe.  

What about energy security?  Is there anyone in the world that really wants to be buying oil from Russia and Saudi Arabia?  Aside from the huge cost, are those the countries you really want to be depending on for your energy security?  You really can't see the benefit in the UK producing it's own energy...or being on an interconnected energy grid with other non-despotic countries rather than giving huge chunks of money to Putin and MBS ? 

The costs of building the worldwide green energy infrastructure will be very significant.  But how about we start paying for it by using the $5.9 trillion a year that we currently subsidize the fossil fuel industry with. That's a $165 trillion raised globally by 2050.  

As for the inevitable transition to EVs, you made a point about what will happen to all the ICE cars that need to be scrapped.  I don't understand your point really.  When an ICE car comes to the end of it's natural lifecycle it would be scrapped as normal and it would be simply replaced with an EV instead of another ICE car.  Where exactly is the issue there? 

As for lifecycle analysis of EVs compared to combustion engine cars.  If electricity generation is fully green, then an EV will produce about 11% the carbon emissions of an ICE car.  And that percentage continues to fall, and manufacturing processes become more efficient. 

48 minutes ago, Highgate said:

Are you really telling me you can't see any benefit in the UK being net zero?  No benefit at all in the UK having it's own domestic green energy supply?  Leaving climate change aside for a moment, do you know how many people air pollution kills in the UK each year? The cost and the strain it put on the NHS every single year from people suffering from respiratory illnesses connected to air pollution.  Eliminating combustion engines and the burning of fossil fuels for industrial and domestic use will do wonders for air quality in the UK, one of the most densely populated countries in the Europe.  

What about energy security?  Is there anyone in the world that really wants to be buying oil from Russia and Saudi Arabia?  Aside from the huge cost, are those the countries you really want to be depending on for your energy security?  You really can't see the benefit in the UK producing it's own energy...or being on an interconnected energy grid with other non-despotic countries rather than giving huge chunks of money to Putin and MBS ? 

The costs of building the worldwide green energy infrastructure will be very significant.  But how about we start paying for it by using the $5.9 trillion a year that we currently subsidize the fossil fuel industry with. That's a $165 trillion raised globally by 2050.  

As for the inevitable transition to EVs, you made a point about what will happen to all the ICE cars that need to be scrapped.  I don't understand your point really.  When an ICE car comes to the end of it's natural lifecycle it would be scrapped as normal and it would be simply replaced with an EV instead of another ICE car.  Where exactly is the issue there? 
oops forgot to mention he’s spent a fortune on new gangled fire extinguisher s that when really need don’t work

As for lifecycle analysis of EVs compared to combustion engine cars.  If electricity generation is fully green, then an EV will produce about 11% the carbon emissions of an ICE car.  And that percentage continues to fall, and manufacturing processes become more efficient. 

Let’s put this simply for you as you’ve totally ignored the cost and the fact renewables can’t power us as shown by the state of germany after all it’s spent so far to be up schitz creek ,,ev s you just gloss over as if they appear from then air and disappear into thin air when done , but that’s exactly what I expected as that’s the deaf dumb blind narrative 

so simple example so you understand 

man lives in a shared house with lots of rooms that is a fire hazard , the residents store petrol in they’re room ,,, ahhhh thinks the man , I know what I will do , I will store all my petrol in the other people rooms and I will bankrupt myself and my dependant s to pay for this ,,,,

job done , he’s made the house safe and made his room safe ,,,,

sadly the more I listen to you , politicians , xr loons and investigate the more anti I get , so you and I are probably wasting our time

Edited by Archied

9 minutes ago, Archied said:

so simple example so you understand 

man lives in a shared house with lots of rooms that is a fire hazard , the residents store petrol in they’re room ,,, ahhhh thinks the man , I know what I will do , I will store all my petrol in the other people rooms and I will bankrupt myself and my dependant s to pay for this ,,,,

job done , he’s made the house safe and made his room safe ,,,,

That's a simple example of our current crisis??

So generating your own electricity is the equivalent to storing petrol elsewhere, why wouldn't generating your own energy rather than paying for it be a long-term saving? Shouldn't that petrol be removed from the house altogether to be more accurate? ....No, I give up, there is little about that analogy that makes sense to me.  I must be dumber than I thought ?

How about another example.

Man lives in a shared house with lots of rooms, everyone stores petrol in their rooms.  Nobody wants to be the first to remove the petrol from the house and they can't agree on any common plan to get rid of it.  Therefore nobody does anything at all.  The house inevitably catches fire and bursts into flames.  They all die.

I think that's your plan...right?  

And what do you mean I've ignored the costs of the transition?  I've raised $165 trillion by 2050! That's pretty good ? 

Yeah, sadly I think you are probably right about wasting each other's time. 

51 minutes ago, Highgate said:

That's a simple example of our current crisis??

So generating your own electricity is the equivalent to storing petrol elsewhere, why wouldn't generating your own energy rather than paying for it be a long-term saving? Shouldn't that petrol be removed from the house altogether to be more accurate? ....No, I give up, there is little about that analogy that makes sense to me.  I must be dumber than I thought ?

How about another example.

Man lives in a shared house with lots of rooms, everyone stores petrol in their rooms.  Nobody wants to be the first to remove the petrol from the house and they can't agree on any common plan to get rid of it.  Therefore nobody does anything at all.  The house inevitably catches fire and bursts into flames.  They all die.

I think that's your plan...right?  

And what do you mean I've ignored the costs of the transition?  I've raised $165 trillion by 2050! That's pretty good ? 

Yeah, sadly I think you are probably right about wasting each other's time. 

And they all lived happily ever after,

it’s fairytale nonsense in the heads of people who are susceptible to being told we are all going to die imminently, covid, carbon , next pandemic ,

the really good thing about all this xr , just stop oil , just eat what we tell you brigade is that they are raising awareness, awareness that normal working class and ordinary people have to stand up to this garbage and as far as I can see they are starting to do it in they’re droves ,

you absolutely nail it with your first line   CURRENT crisis

Edited by Archied

29 minutes ago, Archied said:

And they all lived happily ever after,

it’s fairytale nonsense in the heads of people who are susceptible to being told we are all going to die imminently, covid, carbon , next pandemic ,

the really good thing about all this xr , just stop oil , just eat what we tell you brigade is that they are raising awareness, awareness that normal working class and ordinary people have to stand up to this garbage and as far as I can see they are starting to do it in they’re droves ,

you absolutely nail it with your first line   CURRENT crisis

Yes, I know you think there is no Climate Crisis, that much you have been very clear about.  There doesn't seem to be any way of convincing you otherwise.  At this stage we are just going around in circles.  

1 hour ago, Stive Pesley said:

Inspirational

Will the replies be as inspirational? (Spoilers: they will not)

Jump on a private yatch , that should carry them a fair old distance ????
grown ups worshiping a child , why it’s almost like the baby Jesus story and the new religion 

Edited by Archied

15 minutes ago, Archied said:

Jump on a private yatch , that should carry them a fair old distance ????
grown ups worshiping a child , why it’s almost like the baby Jesus story and the new religion 

She's 19. She has allot more 'followers' than he allegedly did at that age.

5 minutes ago, Crewton said:

She's 19. She has allot more 'followers' than he allegedly did at that age.

Anyone with kids knows at 19 they are still just kids and she was much younger when her parents put her forward to lead the cult and grown ups started hanging on her every word

Edited by Archied

1 hour ago, Stive Pesley said:

Inspirational

Will the replies be as inspirational? (Spoilers: they will not)

A lot of Americans planning to get this shipped over surrounded by cardboard and non degradable bubble wrap as it's not available there till next year .  I assume a few thousand will get there on a big fuel guzzling jet and be carted on masse to all four corners of the US in big lorries spewing out diesel fumes .  Same around Europe. 

Not well thought out really. Her carbon footprint will be more in a day than if I lived to a hundred. Perhaps she should bin this off and just have an e-book.

18 minutes ago, Crewton said:

If you think she's a child, why are you so abusive towards her? 

Was the above abusing her ? Seemed more like a reply to a post worshiping her stating that I didn’t worship her , perhaps that’s the whole point of putting a child forward into her position so we are all to scared of saying anything against this cult in case we are labelled,well worn tactic this labelling of one thing or another but it’s losing its power,

personaly I would say her parents and grown ups putting her in the position they have is nearer to abuse , but hey ho

Edited by Archied

9 minutes ago, Archied said:

Was the above abusing her ? Seemed more like a reply to a post worshiping her stating that I didn’t worship her , perhaps that’s the whole point of putting a child forward into her position so we are all to scared of saying anything against this cult in case we are labelled,well worn tactic this labelling of one thing or another but it’s losing its power,

personaly I would say her parents and grown ups putting her in the position they have is nearer to abuse , but hey ho

And you labelling it as a cult is different how? You labelling people as woke loons is different how?

What's the label for people who lack self awareness ?

7 minutes ago, Stive Pesley said:

And you labelling it as a cult is different how? You labelling people as woke loons is different how?

What's the label for people who lack self awareness ?

It’s called playing the same game in return and it’s what happens when people figure out how it’s played , and yes I see it as a cult having watched the unhinged emotionaly on the edge state of the people protesting and doing interviews as spokesperson s