Players that were either decent before or after they came to Derby

Poynton ram

12 minutes ago, Premier ram said:

Don Masson , Bobby Campbell , Derek Hales , John Chiedozie

Totally agree on the first three but didnt John Chiedozie get a serious injury in about his second game that finished his career?

3 minutes ago, JJs dms said:

Totally agree on the first three but didnt John Chiedozie get a serious injury in about his second game that finished his career?

I thought Chiedozie was pretty decent in those two games before the injury

Players we had on loan seemed to  do alright despite not showing best for us. Others, like lupoli for example, had probably the best part of their career with us.

Every signing is a gamble. Bigger and better players have moved to huge clubs, from huge clubs and "flopped" Shevchenko and Torres at Chelsea spring to mind. Aquilani at Liverpool.

We have had some dreadful recruitment over the last 5 or so years. Little to no resale value.

On 28/05/2022 at 19:32, LeedsCityRam said:

In terms of players looking good before joining Derby, Claude Davis is the one who comes to mind. Remember watching him for Preston when they knocked us out the 2004/05 playoffs. Big lad, physically imposing, mobile & good in the air...particularly good when we battered them in second leg at PP. He got himself a move to then Premier League Sheff Utd a season later.

Was genuinely delighted when we bought him, thinking he'd be an upgrade on Darren Moore & act as the stopper alongside Leacock. Suffice to say he was an absolute disaster but his confidence looked totally shot & can't imagine Jewell's 'man management' made it any better. 

After Derby, he reunited with Warnock to keep Palace up so demonstrating he wasnt as useless as we all thought.

Claude was mainly injured whilst with us and Jewell kept insisting he play.  

Stern John

Danny Graham

Ravanelli

Lee Grant (thought he was useless in his second spell barring Brighton away in the play offs)

Earnshaw

Leon Best (scored a hattrick in the prem for Newcastle)

On 07/04/2022 at 15:32, RadioactiveWaste said:

On 28/05/2022 at 16:36, Bris Vegas said:

Both Albentosa and Bueno had decent spells in Spain after leaving.

Thought Bueno was great for us for a while, when playing with Commons and Kuqi. 

Edited by vonwright

1 hour ago, Strider said:

Esteban Fuertes, became an absolute legend in Argentina. Don't know how he ended up playing in France when he couldn't play here legally ?

At the time Ligue 1 had a different criteria set for non eu players to the premier league (as it still does).

Think the best way forward is to come up with a philosophy and recruit accordingly. See Brentford, Swansea and Peterborough. 

The alternative is spend very little and stick with the same manager for a long period of time. See Nigel Clough. 

Derby under Mel should be the blueprint for every league club in how not to recruit.

Kieran Dowell sticks out for me. Thought he was a very good signing based on how he'd done at Forest, Sheffield United and in the England youth set-up, and he's done well enough at Wigan and Norwich after leaving, but it got to a point here where he was playing like he'd never kicked a ball before.

There's long been a presumption amongst our support that we undersell players but this thread has thrown up very few players that went on to better things (other than loan players). I think the Huddlestone/Rasiak fire sale seems to have stayed with us as our outgoings haven't been bad. Even Will Hughes lost value after moving to Palace from Watford and we thought we were really done over on that one.

Can only think of Loan signings to be fair… 

Barry Bannan - Was okay here but not a fantastic player, would love him at Derby now days 

Micheal Keane - Only played a handful of games, was young and a bit unsteady at the time. 

Jake Livermore - Another one signed on loan when young, didn’t have enough time I suppose but carved out a fantastic career for himself

Shoutout to Omar Mascerell, Chris Maguire and Danny Graham 

5 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Crawley wasn't it.  Assumed they were probably conference 2011.  If not  he was still crap for us and 5.3 million peed up the wall.  A drop of 3 divisions in 3 years indicates it wasn't just us 

He was 32 with cralpy knees. 

Crawley where in League Two and helped them get promotion. 

His best was at Preston

Edited by sage

On 28/05/2022 at 17:06, whiteroseram said:

Not exactly world beaters, but off the top of my head Lingard, Bamford and Michael Keane went on to achieve a lot more than you'd have thought to see them with us

Feels like cheating to pick player who'd been brilliant but were old when they reached us, ala Rooney, arguably Bent etc 

I always feel like I’m the only person who ever rated Michael Keane, I thought he’d go on to do better than he actually has