Finance thread 2022.

Rev

16 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Are you talking about pay (as your sentence starts) or working conditions (as it ends)? They are not the same thing.

Part of the problems is that we (the general public) often don’t know what the pay and working conditions of others are really like. We only hear the polarised views of the unions on one side and the employers on the other. For example,  it would appear train drivers (especially on the underground) already earn a very good wage and I’m sure I’ve read somewhere that in one industry, the complaint is that staff were being forced to work at weekends. Such a simplistic summaries of the complaints are unlikely to gain much support from those earning less than train drivers or those that already have to work at a weekend but I’m damn sure it’s not that simple and there must be more to the disputes than that.

Several weeks ago, I asked a colleague of yours working for Royal Mail a genuine question (as I really was interested) what the working conditions issue was and got no reply.

Apologies all for continuing the theme of going off thread. Please ignore, I was too late to delete it.

23 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Are you talking about pay (as your sentence starts) or working conditions (as it ends)? They are not the same thing.

Part of the problems is that we (the general public) often don’t know what the pay and working conditions of others are really like. We only hear the polarised views of the unions on one side and the employers on the other. For example,  it would appear train drivers (especially on the underground) already earn a very good wage and I’m sure I’ve read somewhere that in one industry, the complaint is that staff were being forced to work at weekends. Such a simplistic summaries of the complaints are unlikely to gain much support from those earning less than train drivers or those that already have to work at a weekend but I’m damn sure it’s not that simple and there must be more to the disputes than that.

My Sons friend moved to the outskirts of North London as he got a job on the underground(unskilled)He worked in a Central London Station, Took him 1.5 hours to get there, In just over a year he'd saved enough for a deposit to buy the house he was renting, Overtime was a must ie a money tree, The housing market then moves rapidly upwards, He sells his home and made enough money to buy a house outright in South Leicester and still work in Central London, The time it took him to get to work...1.5 hours.

Cost of living in London out ways the cost living in some suburbs in the North, He was/is loving the life, The hours were/are crazy, Get paid a full shift for working half a shift, So many ways to make your working life even better financially, If he's making a killing, What are the Managers making? 

47 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Several weeks ago, I asked a colleague of yours working for Royal Mail a genuine question (as I really was interested) what the working conditions issue was and got no reply.

This explanation is from an RMT union member which goes into detail of working conditions. 

D3DD9876-B7C4-4572-A080-A84976527CFA.jpeg

1 hour ago, uttoxram75 said:

This explanation is from an RMT union member which goes into detail of working conditions. 

D3DD9876-B7C4-4572-A080-A84976527CFA.jpeg

Thanks for that. As I said, we never hear the full story in the press and there is always more to it.

Interesting point about weekends. When I worked in retail banking, apart from when it first started, we didn’t get any extra rate for working a weekend. You just had to take another day off in lieu. If you were scheduled to work at the weekend (you didn’t get any choice by the way) you had to take a day off during the week. I suspect this is the case for most people that work weekends. I don’t know about nightshifts. Luckily, I’ve never had to work them except for two occasions when I had to work at 1pm in the morning to be involved in some system testing at a suitable time.

34 minutes ago, JoetheRam said:

At least whoever gets your house when you can't pay your mortgage any longer won't have to pay stamp duty on it now.

Just got back from shopping, There's a right party going off in the local, Not being nosey but had a look inside, There must have been 20 people in there whooping it up suits the lot, Tapped a fella on the shoulder and asked is this someone's  party...yes was the reply in a drunken manner hic...all of us, We're Barclays Bank Managers in a conference 

50 minutes ago, 1of4 said:

An extra £1000 handout to the rich, while the lowest paid get only a tenth of that.

So everyone gets something they didn’t yesterday right? 

23 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

Someone earning £1,000,000/year, has had a tax cut of over £55,000 a year, (an extra £1,050 a WEEK in their pocket), whilst anyone earning £20,000/year is £157 a year better-off!

I'm just waiting for the Sun & Mail to convince the dopey working class it's Labours fault.

Just now, Grumpy Git said:

Someone earning £1,000,000/year, has had a tax cut of over £55,000 a year, (an extra £1,050 a WEEK in their pocket), whilst anyone earning £20,000/year is £157 a year better-off!

I'm just waiting for the Sun & Mail to convince the dopey working class it's Labours fault.

So everybody gets something they didn’t have yesterday? 

4 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

It's actually perverse as the working class will eventually pay for the millionaires new holiday home in France.

Who is going to pay to educate the millionaires workers or nurse them better if they become ill.

We don't need US style government in this country, (where a lot of US citizens think Obamacare was a communist policy)

Edited by Grumpy Git

5 minutes ago, Grumpy Git said:

It's actually perverse as the working class will eventually pay for the millionaires new holiday home in France.

Who is going to pay to educate the millionaires workers or nurse them better if they become ill.

We don't need US style government in this country, (where a lot of US citizens think Obamacare was a communist policy)

So everybody got something they didn’t have yesterday?

Edited by TexasRam

44 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

1 hour ago, TexasRam said:

34 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

So everybody got something they didn’t have yesterday?

I'd see a doctor about that stammer. That's if you can get in to see one.

There again you could always use that something you didn't have yesterday and go private

Just now, 1of4 said:

I'd see a doctor about that stammer. That's if you can get in to see one.

There again you could always use that something you didn't have yesterday and go private

No one has given a clear answer to a simple question. I’ve just seen whining that some people may get more than others, rather than the fact everyone is getting something. Jealousy is a cruel master. 

The last comment makes no sense, I could of gone private yesterday and the day before and I can go tomorrow that’s never changed. 

12 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

No one has given a clear answer to a simple question. I’ve just seen whining that some people may get more than others, rather than the fact everyone is getting something. Jealousy is a cruel master. 

The last comment makes no sense, I could of gone private yesterday and the day before and I can go tomorrow that’s never changed. 

And there goes the "I'm all right Jack" bus. I'm glad you caught the one that doesn't stop until it gets to the Good'ol US of A, (hopefully one-way only)?

1 minute ago, Grumpy Git said:

And there goes the "I'm all right Jack" bus. I'm glad you caught the one that doesn't stop until it gets to the Good'ol US of A, (hopefully one-way only)?

Came back years ago tiger, sorry. No I’m alright Jack bus from me, I just don’t begrudge those who do well for themselves earning a good living. Everybody who works is benefitting from todays news, thats fact and is a good thing in my opinion. I’m actually shocked people are turning their noses up at money in their pocket they didn’t have yesterday. 

8 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

Came back years ago tiger, sorry. No I’m alright Jack bus from me, I just don’t begrudge those who do well for themselves earning a good living. Everybody who works is benefitting from todays news, thats fact and is a good thing in my opinion. I’m actually shocked people are turning their noses up at money in their pocket they didn’t have yesterday. 

So you don't think the extra £55,000 a year a geezer on £1,000,000 salary gets needs to be paid back at anytime?

For ease of arithmetic, lets assume every Premier League club has a minimum of 20 players earning £19,250/week (£1M a year).

Each now gets an extra £1,062 a week! So the loss to the public purse, JUST from 20 Premier League players per club in a year is a minimum £22,000,000. (and almost certainly a damn site more). That's an awful lot of lost income that has to come from somewhere else.

Just now, Grumpy Git said:

So you don't think the extra £55,000 a year a geezer on £1,000,000 salary gets needs to be paid back at anytime?

For ease of arithmetic, lets assume every Premier League club has a minimum of 20 players earning £19,250/week (£1M a year).

Each now gets an extra £1,062 a week! So the loss to the public purse, JUST from 20 Premier League players per club in a year is a minimum £22,000,000. (and almost certainly a damn site more). That's an awful lot of lost income that has to come from somewhere else.

The top 1% of earners earn 17% of the income nationally but they pay 31% of all the income tax. That’s not bad is it, imagine they went elsewhere because they are paying too much tax, that’s a big hole to fill. 

I’d rather cut benefits and handouts to those who don’t contribute rather than take more of those who do.