Curtis up top for the last 6 games

Jimbo Ram

3 minutes ago, Zag zig said:

Do get the point of the thread, we need something to change away, I’d still say this is a last 10-20 minutes throw of the dice and bring Stearman on though. We also don’t have to be losing to do it, we need 3 points at Swansea.

We have to come up with a plan that gives us a chance of winning 2 of the 3 away games ?

2 hours ago, Jimbo Ram said:

We have 6 games left, probably need to go unbeaten and win at least 4. We need goals. Could Curtis be the target man we need? Has a good touch and good in the air, could give us a much-needed focal point up top? Stearman the ready made replacement at the back and Bielik/Knight central midfield duo?

What have you been drinking? Or smoking?

58 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

A youngster wet behind the ears, think we need an experienced head up there…..someone 6 1/2 feet will do ?

Quite a few youngsters have broke through and done amazing this season did you say they were wet behind the ears?  What sort of message does it send if a defender is played up front instead of aspiring young forwards? 

For me personally though Plange is doing fine.

6 minutes ago, The_Sheriff said:

Quite a few youngsters have broke through and done amazing this season did you say they were wet behind the ears?  What sort of message does it send if a defender is played up front instead of aspiring young forwards? 

For me personally though Plange is doing fine.

It sends the message out that we are fighting for our lives and need something to change, especially away from home. A novice striker in my opinion isn’t the answer at this time, Curtis could be in the 3 away games at least. We are fine at home, but pretty much toothless away. What would your answer be for the 3 away games? Surely not more of the same? That will take us down…

18 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

It sends the message out that we are fighting for our lives and need something to change, especially away from home. A novice striker in my opinion isn’t the answer at this time, Curtis could be in the 3 away games at least. We are fine at home, but pretty much toothless away. What would your answer be for the 3 away games? Surely not more of the same? That will take us down…

My answer would be to play like we do at home! Its the exact same game with the exact same rules.

Why we cant replicate the home form away is a mystery to me.

On 02/04/2022 at 19:01, Jimbo Ram said:

We have 6 games left, probably need to go unbeaten and win at least 4. We need goals. Could Curtis be the target man we need? Has a good touch and good in the air, could give us a much-needed focal point up top? Stearman the ready made replacement at the back and Bielik/Knight central midfield duo?

Episode 1 What GIF by BBC Three

I'm with you on this Jimbo.

We just don't seem to be much of a threat away from home.

Take the last 3 away games. According to the BBC Sport stats, we had the majority of the possession in all 3 games, yet came away with nothing.

So we aren't a team that relies on counter attacking football, even though we sometimes consider ourselves to be. We still try to build slowly from the back. So we don't necessarily need pace up front. What we need is a target man.

Someone suggested the young lad who was on the bench recently. This is not the time for yet another debut. We need somebody who will make a nuisance of himself, and who won't be intimidated by the opposition's centre half's.

I think throwing Curtis up front from the off as a wild card at Swansea could be a masterstroke. It would confuse the hell out of them.

We're also not brilliant at closing down from the front, so I'd tell Curtis not to run around too much, just occupy their central defenders, and stay as high up the pitch as he can.

I'd also put Fozzy in as well, still the best crosser of the ball that we have. Get Fozzy and Byrne to put crosses in from deep, don't try too hard to get to the byline. Give Curtis more of a chance to win any ariel battles. Get Lawrence and Kight / Ebiowei running off Curtis, and I dare say there would be some good scraps to feed off!

We only have 3 home games left. That's potentially 9 points. I can't see that being enough. We need something from Swansea, and possibly QPR and Blackpool as well.

I say go for it!

20 minutes ago, Addingham Ram said:

I'm with you on this Jimbo.

We just don't seem to be much of a threat away from home.

Take the last 3 away games. According to the BBC Sport stats, we had the majority of the possession in all 3 games, yet came away with nothing.

So we aren't a team that relies on counter attacking football, even though we sometimes consider ourselves to be. We still try to build slowly from the back. So we don't necessarily need pace up front. What we need is a target man.

Someone suggested the young lad who was on the bench recently. This is not the time for yet another debut. We need somebody who will make a nuisance of himself, and who won't be intimidated by the opposition's centre half's.

I think throwing Curtis up front from the off as a wild card at Swansea could be a masterstroke. It would confuse the hell out of them.

We're also not brilliant at closing down from the front, so I'd tell Curtis not to run around too much, just occupy their central defenders, and stay as high up the pitch as he can.

I'd also put Fozzy in as well, still the best crosser of the ball that we have. Get Fozzy and Byrne to put crosses in from deep, don't try too hard to get to the byline. Give Curtis more of a chance to win any ariel battles. Get Lawrence and Kight / Ebiowei running off Curtis, and I dare say there would be some good scraps to feed off!

We only have 3 home games left. That's potentially 9 points. I can't see that being enough. We need something from Swansea, and possibly QPR and Blackpool as well.

I say go for it!

Exactly......

I get the idea of playing Curtis up front, despite it not being something I agree with. Sometimes mixing it up can be useful.

Do we then just play Stearman though in the other CB position? As steady as he is, that red card at Huddersfield changed my opinion on him quite a bit. 

5 minutes ago, Bob Gnarly said:

I get the idea of playing Curtis up front, despite it not being something I agree with. Sometimes mixing it up can be useful.

Do we then just play Stearman though in the other CB position? As steady as he is, that red card at Huddersfield changed my opinion on him quite a bit. 

I just think something has to change Bob. We can't go in to another away game with the same kind of formation and mindset as the previous 20 where we have won just 2 and scored no more than a handful of goals. We need to win a couple of away games. Curtis up top was an idea, any others most welcome. I don't think Stearman has done too much wrong when he has filled in at CB??

I think it's an idea that on paper kinda makes sense. 

But in reality, maybe the last 20-30mins it could work....not all game.

We are away from home,  probably under pressure and needing to get a foothold in the game. Davies has no pace, not much idea about the role, won't stretch the game etc..so the ball will just keep coming back.

When players are more tired, the game has settled down and we know we haven't got long.. then rolling the dice and just launching it into the box may be an option. The opposition know there isn't long left so will try and hang on and start getting sucked back defensively and pressure will build. You can't replicate that drama, atmosphere and one dimensional football all game imo.