Curtis up top for the last 6 games

Jimbo Ram

2 hours ago, Chester40 said:

I think it's an idea that on paper kinda makes sense. 

But in reality, maybe the last 20-30mins it could work....not all game.

We are away from home,  probably under pressure and needing to get a foothold in the game. Davies has no pace, not much idea about the role, won't stretch the game etc..so the ball will just keep coming back.

When players are more tired, the game has settled down and we know we haven't got long.. then rolling the dice and just launching it into the box may be an option. The opposition know there isn't long left so will try and hang on and start getting sucked back defensively and pressure will build. You can't replicate that drama, atmosphere and one dimensional football all game imo.

Read the stats from the last 3 away games. We've actually dominated possession. We've just not got any end product.

And we never stretch the game these days. We're getting very ponderous.

If, as you suggest we throw Curtis up towards the end, when players are tired, don't you think Curtis would be one of the tiredest on the pitch? Seems daft when you think about it?

And finally, why wait until 60 minutes to try something. Nearly every team we play are able to change the game with substitutions. We have such a paper thin squad, we aren't able to make such changes. In our situation, we should be thinking a bit outside the box.

So why not throw Curtis up front for the first 20 - 30 minutes rather than the last, and try and take charge of an away game for a change.

44 minutes ago, Addingham Ram said:

Read the stats from the last 3 away games. We've actually dominated possession. We've just not got any end product.

And we never stretch the game these days. We're getting very ponderous.

If, as you suggest we throw Curtis up towards the end, when players are tired, don't you think Curtis would be one of the tiredest on the pitch? Seems daft when you think about it?

And finally, why wait until 60 minutes to try something. Nearly every team we play are able to change the game with substitutions. We have such a paper thin squad, we aren't able to make such changes. In our situation, we should be thinking a bit outside the box.

So why not throw Curtis up front for the first 20 - 30 minutes rather than the last, and try and take charge of an away game for a change.

You make some interesting points. But I don't necessarily agree. 

Mainly, I think the urge to go long from the start would be overwhelming. Meaning we would just keep giving the ball away by launching it pretty aimlessly. 

Doesn't matter if Curtis is tired,  he won't be working the channels! 

Ultimately I don't think we would take charge of the game, the ball would just keep coming back and their center backs wouldn't get moved about or do much but let Curtis flick the ball onto nobody.

We have been truly shocking away from home though,  so if Rooney wanted to do it, I'd be interested who would be right.

Edited by Chester40

53 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

You make some interesting points. But I don't necessarily agree. 

Mainly, I think the urge to go long from the start would be overwhelming. Meaning we would just keep giving the ball away by launching it pretty aimlessly. 

Doesn't matter if Curtis is tired,  he won't be working the channels! 

Ultimately I don't think we would take charge of the game, the ball would just keep coming back and their center backs wouldn't get moved about or do much but let Curtis flick the ball onto nobody.

We have been truly shocking away from home though,  so if Rooney wanted to do it, I'd be interested who would be right.

What fundamental change would you make away to buck the trend?