Don't lose sight of fact we are a football club

CBRammette

I cant even express how fed up I am with all of this- I just want our club back. So i have tried to focus on five things about Derby County Football Club (past and present) that make me hang in through all of this garbage. In no particular order.....

- the fans. Derby fans are just funny even when being grumpy. So many shouted comments that make you LOL at every match

- 2013-14 after McClaren arrived and those Jim Smith seasons. The hope that you get something so joyous back at some point

- the fans', coaches' and players' togetherness this season and the singing that brings a tear to your eye 

- Sharing the ups and downs with family especially my fanatical, feisty, now ill dad

- a police horse weeing a huge volume of liquid I would not have believed possible on a group of opposition fans away at either West Ham or QPR. Funniest thing I have ever seen

what 5 keep you going?

1. Memories of the halcyon days: Zak, Charlie, Roy Mac, Toddy, Gemmill and the many others
  2. The Brian Clough led training session with tour of the BBG I attended and have spoken about on other threads
  3. The Arthur Cox days - when I started going to more away games with my mates - Phil Gee's goal at the Blades the standout
  4. The great Jim Smith days showing life in the old club with such great football, Stimac, Asanovic, Erano, Baiano and Wanchope
  5. The play-off semi, second leg v The Dirties, not there ? but the goosebumps watching on TV still appear on the reruns just as much as the night itself

COYR ?
#SaveDerbyCounty

5 minutes ago, CBRammette said:

I cant even express how fed up I am with all of this- I just want our club back. So i have tried to focus on five things about Derby County Football Club (past and present) that make me hang in through all of this garbage. In no particular order.....

- the fans. Derby fans are just funny even when being grumpy. So many shouted comments that make you LOL at every match

- 2013-14 after McClaren arrived and those Jim Smith seasons. The hope that you get something so joyous back at some point

- the fans', coaches' and players' togetherness this season and the singing that brings a tear to your eye 

- Sharing the ups and downs with family especially my fanatical, feisty, now ill dad

- a police horse weeing a huge volume of liquid I would not have believed possible on a group of opposition fans away at either West Ham or QPR. Funniest thing I have ever seen

what 5 keep you going?

The memories of those evening european cup games at the BBG. We outclassed the best clubs in Europe

Past players who were talented, dignified and heroes such as Roy Mac, Hèctor, Nish, Todd it goes  on . 

That  great positive feeling when we score and when we win

The noise and support from our lot  at  away games. 

1. Jim Smith days, especially that first season at PP. Arsenal 3-0, last unbeaten team at home, Man U feeling like they robbed us with a draw. Getting out of our seats and the anticipation everytime Wanchope got the ball and turned to face the opponents. First time as a season ticket holder.

2. Play off penalties v Southampton, a chorus of: "we're proud of you" to our over performing team as they step up for one last push for Wembley. In an absolute monsoon.

3. Related, queuing overnight in PP to get the extra ticket for my brother in law. The memory of playing chess at 2am with a trainee lawyer, whilst being tanked up on Jack, sat in the concourses. Precious.

4. The coffee cup. Or any game against Notts F*rest at that time, we had their number. It felt good.

5. The friendly against Rangers. First match post 3 amigos, and with the league of gentlemen. Such a sense of hope and optimism, plus seeing Tin man and Shilton one last time, in a Derby shirt. Oh and Pearce scoring and kissing the badge.

1. The sights, sounds and smell of the BBG. When all four sides got going, it was deafening.

2. Bobby Davison, Gary Micklewhite, Rob Hindmarch etc, loved that late 80s team

3. Winning at Villa Park/ Old Trafford / White Hart Lane and Deano scoring winners

4. This season, first time I heard 'we fight to the end' chant and the pride and emotion of the march pre Brum match

5. Meeting and chatting to Ian Taylor after our Play-off defeat v QPR made me feel slightly better

Edited by Wistaston Ram

1. Stubornness.

2. I like the misery.

3. Reminder of who I am and where I came from.

4. the random phone call saying "we're going to the fulham game, why don't you come along?" that ruined my life.

5. The times that it's so utterly brillient it's like an out of body experience you share with thirty thousand people are worth it.

spacer.png

Edited by RadioactiveWaste

I might add some other points later but firstly I'll take you back to 11th December 1982, Fulham away. We had a poor team but were on a high as Peter Taylor had recently return binging Archie Gemmill back, and having just signed Bobby Davison. I can't actually remember much about the game, we lost, Bobby made his debut from the bench. I went on a junior rams coach, a couple of things stick in my memory. We arrived early and wasn't allowed off the coach. Someone spotted a huge dog turn on the street, a game developed where we shouted at the passing Fulham fans as they passed to make them look up at us rather than down at the turn. There was a stream of oohs as the Fulham fans nearly stepped in the turn, until one did to a huge goal like celebration.

On the way back it was the FA cup draw, everyone was shushed as the balls were drawn Derby came out of the hat first, a home draw. Then came Forest, the atmosphere on the coach became electric, Derby v Forest. Although the kids were excited at our age the gravity of the draw passed us by a bit. It wasn't until I saw the back page of the paper next day I realised it was nationaly significant draw. We then pullen in to a services where a Derby coach had broken down, they were trying to get everyone home by sneaking a few onto each passing Derby coach. We picked up some lads (from Ripley?) who told us tales of 80's style football action and lead the singing on the way home. 

image.png.628aea7e3d4b7048574387b4c0866ded.png