Groundwork

HuddersRam

8 minutes ago, HuddersRam said:

Authors make very little either way (unless they self publish) to be honest, so in truth it doesn't bother me so much. I was thinking of doing some sales myself this time and buying from the printers, so I'm looking into the possibilities of that. But also chatting to the club soon as well on whether they will get involved, in which case the sales would go into them which is a lot better than to Bezos or whoever heads it up now.

But for digital, I'm 99% sure there'll be an ebook version. I'll get that confirmed though and let you know!

Would the club even profit as it’s run by Fanatics now? 

1 minute ago, David said:

Would the club even profit as it’s run by Fanatics now? 

They'd make a small cut I think - less than pre-Fanatics I'm guessing. But Fanatics generally are a bit less likely to deal with third parties as I think a few others have probably found. 

In the mid nineties I was on a management course and we were staying overnight in an hotel near Derby. (I cannot remember the name but it was the same one where John Gregory had his disciplinary hearing).

We were having a drink in the bar in the evening and Jim Smith came in with 2 others. I was too shy to approach him so one of the others in our group said it would be good idea if I ordered a couple of bottles of wine and booked them to the room number of the guy running the course and send them over to Jim.

It worked a treat. We had a good long chat and found out that his mother used to live not far from us in Sheffield. A very nice guy.

The guy running the course never said a word about the charge for 2 bottles of wine. If he did it never got back to me!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Just an update on this one as it's looking like it's about six weeks away from publication, but - 

Pretty excited to say that both Steve McClaren and Igor Stimac have done forewords for Groundwork! They're two of the however many ex players/coaches who contributed, and there's a lot of them inside, but to have them put their names to it is very decent. 

The book is now available on a few different sites (all can be seen within https://www.pitchpublishing.co.uk/shop/groundwork) and I'm still trying to get it stocked with the club. But with everything off the pitch, it's proving a little difficult this time unfortunately. But we persevere.

One thing I did want to point out is on the RRP, which is admittedly hefty. Sadly this is out of my hands as it's sorted on the publishing side, but I am going to be looking to sell copies myself rather than letting Amazon take the 90+% they do. So if anybody is interested in getting a copy, I'm probably going to try and send out some copies directly without the middle man for £22 incl postage. Just drop me a message if keen ?

684634345_Groundwork-FC(1).thumb.jpg.52b3a513b83d8f77b0a0f4839e8b6724.jpg

• 1 month later...

Apologies for bumping this one back up, all. Just a heads up that Groundwork is out in just under two weeks now, which is a little bit mental and a little bit more terrifying. I've attached below the list of everyone who spoke for it (and volunteered their name) to give an idea of how it shapes up.

It should be available from the club shop, but it's also available from everywhere within this link: https://www.pitchpublishing.co.uk/shop/groundwork And if you want to hear some dulcet Leicestershire based tones to get you through the day, I was lucky enough to chat with the departing Chris Coles last week on what exactly it's all about: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p0cfjwz3

Screenshot 2022-07-19 at 12.11.38.png

• 3 weeks later...

Hey everybody, just intruding to say that Groundwork is out now!

Was lucky to have some crazy support by the club in these past couple of weeks across the website and RamsTV, and it will be available in the Megastore early next week as well if it's of interest. But yeah - if you grab a copy, I hope you enjoy it! I loved working on this one, probably more than Pride, so hopefully the range of interviewees and behind the scenes bits do the Jim Smith years justice.

https://www.facebook.com/dcfcofficial/videos/739734390414440

18 hours ago, Wistaston Ram said:

@HuddersRam Is it possible to order a copy directly from you? I know you said a while back, it was something you were looking to do. Otherwise I'll get a copy from the club shop or Amazon.

It will be, I've just not been home since it came out so not had a chance to order any yet! If you wanted one sooner though, Amazon or Waterstones is probably your best bet as there's another delay getting it into the club shop shop apparently