The Ukraine War

Day

1 hour ago, Mr Tibbs said:

The OSINT Community on Twitter is where you'll find all of this info. Lots of verified war reporting - some pretty grim to watch admittedly. 

Don't do Twitter as I can't abide it (or Facebook).

Are there any other web addresses that you know of?

Or @Ramarena? I too would appreciate somewhere else to get information rather than our fairly hopeless mainstream media.

1 hour ago, Mr Tibbs said:

The OSINT Community on Twitter is where you'll find all of this info. Lots of verified war reporting - some pretty grim to watch admittedly. 

Indeed, I try to avoid Twitter where possible, but there are still some useful accounts on there. I get a lot the things I post here from directly from Telegram in Ukrainian or Russian depending upon the source. 

I don’t speak either, but know a couple of people who do and monitor these channels and we are messaging stuff of interest between us regularly.

2 hours ago, Rev said:

While I find your posts interesting and informative, can you occasionally post links to where you're deriving your information, so I might know where to look myself?

I'm not doubting the content, but it's hard to find such info amongst mainstream sites.

You are absolutely right to ask this question Rev and I get that the things I post here could come across as “trust me bro” without reference.

As I mention above, a lot is from key Telegram accounts on both sides to get info, it’s not me doing the hard work.

It would be difficult to find some of this stuff on mainstream sites. But a few places for you to keep an eye on are, Mark Hertling, Osint defender, osint technical, Def Mon 3 and Samuel Ramani, all useful sources and can be found on Twitter (if you can’t avoid going on there).

The combat footage sub on Reddit is a good place to find footage from both sides that they step off Telegram, although it is occasionally brigaded by Russian bots. And I think the world news sub still runs a daily updates thread, although not sure if it’s any good these days.

Ill try and find a decent more mainstream reference when I post stuff in future, if I can find one and have time.

44 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Don't do Twitter as I can't abide it (or Facebook).

Are there any other web addresses that you know of?

Or @Ramarena? I too would appreciate somewhere else to get information rather than our fairly hopeless mainstream media.

Yep with you on the Twitter and Facebook thing.

Check out my reply to rev and mr tibbs, for more info. Unfortunately it’s Twitter and Reddit based, but they do filter a lot of Telegram stuff.

It's worth having a look on Fark.com. Each day there is a thread in the politics tab, usually with a name which starts 'Day xyz of WW3....'

There are a couple of posters who are Ukrainian and are aid workers, medics etc, and their news tends to be pretty accurate and a few hours ahead of the other media.

Also, lots of 'boom' videos.

Edited by Eddie

21 hours ago, Eddie said:

It's worth having a look on Fark.com. Each day there is a thread in the politics tab, usually with a name which starts 'Day xyz of WW3....'

There are a couple of posters who are Ukrainian and are aid workers, medics etc, and their news tends to be pretty accurate and a few hours ahead of the other media.

Also, lots of 'boom' videos.

saw todays which was a headcam view from a humvee gunner attacking russian positions. Pretty sobering stuff but still slightly surreal in that it was dubbed over with music.... 

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, Ramarena said:

Prigozhin has only gone and done it!

Hes declared war on Putin and claims Putin wiped out a bunch of Wagner troops with a deliberately targeted missile attack.

The FSB are now investigating him for mutiny.

Spicy!

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/jun/23/wagner-chief-accuses-russias-military-of-attack-and-says-evil-leadership-must-be-stopped

So if he's fighting russian forces now, who's paying him and his troops?

4 minutes ago, Ramarena said:

Prigozhin has only gone and done it!

Hes declared war on Putin and claims Putin wiped out a bunch of Wagner troops with a deliberately targeted missile attack.

The FSB are now investigating him for mutiny.

Spicy!

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/jun/23/wagner-chief-accuses-russias-military-of-attack-and-says-evil-leadership-must-be-stopped

It's a bit like one of those "Change ABC to XYZ in n moves" puzzles, isn't it?

• Prigozhin
  • Hotel
  • Window
  • Gravity
  • Borscht

1 hour ago, therealhantsram said:

So if he's fighting russian forces now, who's paying him and his troops?

I don’t really know what the play is here.

Whos paying him is a good question.

From what I understand they have sizeable mining operations in Africa rumored to be worth $1 billion. 

They we’re also given rights to oil and gas operations in Syria, after they took back oil and gas fields from Islamic State on behalf of the Syrian government. Prigs company EvroPolis runs these to a tune of $150 million a year.

https://www.opensanctions.org/entities/NK-NsGS9qdjwtNXVGp86jcbya/

So he’s got money flowing in and there’s supposedly numerous shell companies located around the world. People may underestimate how wealthy and well connected he is and he doesn’t necessarily need the money the Russians pay him to maintain his operations.

However he now finds himself stuck between enemies. Ukraine on one side and Russia on the other. I seriously wonder if he has any means of escape, his troops certainly don’t.

I’m not sure what his game is other than trying to be an agent of chaos (so to speak) irritate and cause problems for Putin, enough that Ukraine leaves him to his own devices and he can somehow escape.

He’s now claiming to have left Bakhmut and is on his way with troops to Belgorod, then Rostov. The only way he could do this is if the army gave him safe passage, otherwise it’s BS.

There could actually be something in this as US intelligence is currently briefing the president.

It’ll be interesting to see what develops in the morning.

6 hours ago, Ramarena said:

He’s now claiming to have left Bakhmut and is on his way with troops to Belgorod, then Rostov. The only way he could do this is if the army gave him safe passage, otherwise it’s BS.

There could actually be something in this as US intelligence is currently briefing the president.

For Ukraine, and NATO, are the current events a good or a bad thing?

7 hours ago, Ramarena said:

Surely a + for Ukraine, Prigs and Putin fighting and killing each other, It'll be down to loyalty now, If the Wagner forces follow their leader then Putins time is on the clock...but then he's got limited Nukes to use with those in Belarus...watch this space 

This is moving very quickly. 

The M2 has been blocked northbound into Moscow, Wagner seizing towns, cities and airfields with little resistance and images/videos are filtering through of Russian AF losses - of note so far a Mi-35 helicopter and what looks like a Russian air force bomber, presumably Su-33/Su-34. Edit: Not quite the scalp of a 33/35 - confirmed An-26. 

Unbelievable really! Long may it continue if it spares Ukraine the brunt of Russia's military focus. 

Edited by Mr Tibbs

21 minutes ago, Mr Tibbs said:

This is moving very quickly. 

The M2 has been blocked northbound into Moscow, Wagner seizing towns, cities and airfields with little resistance and images/videos are filtering through of Russian AF losses - of note so far a Mi-35 helicopter and what looks like a Russian air force bomber, presumably Su-33/Su-34. Edit: Not quite the scalp of a 33/35 - confirmed An-26. 

Unbelievable really! Long may it continue if it spares Ukraine the brunt of Russia's military focus. 

I wonder how Ukraine will play this in terms of their offensive. 

10 hours ago, Ramarena said:

I don’t really know what the play is here.

Whos paying him is a good question.

From what I understand they have sizeable mining operations in Africa rumored to be worth $1 billion. 

They we’re also given rights to oil and gas operations in Syria, after they took back oil and gas fields from Islamic State on behalf of the Syrian government. Prigs company EvroPolis runs these to a tune of $150 million a year.

https://www.opensanctions.org/entities/NK-NsGS9qdjwtNXVGp86jcbya/

So he’s got money flowing in and there’s supposedly numerous shell companies located around the world. People may underestimate how wealthy and well connected he is and he doesn’t necessarily need the money the Russians pay him to maintain his operations.

However he now finds himself stuck between enemies. Ukraine on one side and Russia on the other. I seriously wonder if he has any means of escape, his troops certainly don’t.

I’m not sure what his game is other than trying to be an agent of chaos (so to speak) irritate and cause problems for Putin, enough that Ukraine leaves him to his own devices and he can somehow escape.

He probably thought this was his best play, especially since the Russian government had reportedly fired on their positions before this final turn against the regime. Authoritarian regimes always look strong on the outside, but they can crumble remarkably quickly if they have a credible challenger. Given the amount of forces deployed in Ukraine, maybe if he can get a couple of key challengers on board and a degree of mass support then Putin either has to negotiate or becomes seriously endangered.