Squad Rules

tinman

28 minutes ago, Sussex Ram said:

Playing devils advocate, what incentive do Derby have to bring anyone in during January? I wonder if they will do so to make it seem outwardly like we haven’t yet given up on turning around the points deficit? Although surely every rational person must know it’s practically impossible.

If we admit to ourselves that relegation is unavoidable, why spend the additional money on wages for players that can’t save us? Remember that we still have the P&S rules to adhere to, and minimising costs now will help us in years to come.

I suppose that we might let some players go (those that wouldn’t stay to play in League 1, or on substantial wages, or both) and depending on how many leave, we might strike some short term deals to maintain a large enough squad. But I question how many will leave- what club would pay for e.g. Lawrence/Jozwiak in January, when they can wait and get them for free/cheaper in summer? Derby have no bargaining power in those negotiations.

Even if we did sell players, would we be happy promoting academy players to become part of the 25?

It will be very interesting to see how the club play it- particularly if we do get a new owner in before January. If we don’t get the new owner, then I presume the administrators will rely on existing staff to make those shouts. Does anyone know who within the club make those decisions, with no owner or CEO?

The incentive is to prepare for next season

2 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

The incentive is to prepare for next season

That’s a fair point. But how do we best prepare? That’s the golden question. In my opinion, the best preparation is actually to move people out rather than in. I can’t see too many scenarios where we bring in players in during January in preparation for playing League 1 football next year. It would have to work for Derby, the player, the EFL and the player’s existing club (if they have one) to get over the line. Can you think of any such scenarios where that might lead to someone new coming in?

1 hour ago, Sussex Ram said:

That’s a fair point. But how do we best prepare? That’s the golden question. In my opinion, the best preparation is actually to move people out rather than in. I can’t see too many scenarios where we bring in players in during January in preparation for playing League 1 football next year. It would have to work for Derby, the player, the EFL and the player’s existing club (if they have one) to get over the line. Can you think of any such scenarios where that might lead to someone new coming in?

It's both outs and ins.

1. Extensions for players who will stay with us - only Bielik, Bird, Knight, Sibley and Jozwiak contracted beyond the summer.
  2. Players out of contract in the summer and not staying with us should be sold - some cash and a reduction in the wage bill is better than no cash.
  3. Recruit on a 1 out 1 in basis, unless we plan to promote from within.

Incomings will very likely be loans with a view to joining in the summer, or loans to fill gaps in the squad if there is an exodus of players in Jan.

I look at the squad and see the following first team squad in L1 next season:

Roos, Allsop
Ebosele, McDonald
Davies, Stearman
Forsyth, Cashin
Buchanan, Williams
Watson, LThompson
Shinnie, ???
Sibley, ???
Ravel, ???
Hutchinson, ???
Kazim, Stretton

Bird and Knight will get snapped up. They're far too good for L1. Bielik and Jozwiak will want out due to international aspirations. Those four won't leave until the summer though (maybe Jozwiak in Jan). We won't be able to meet Lawrence's wage demands in L1 either. I honestly can't see us signing anyone until we need to replace one of those players.
Jagielka and Baldock will probably leave in Jan, but should be replaced by players already at the club..

I wouldn't bank on Ebosele, Buchanan, Sibley, Morrison or even CKR being here next season tbh.

Davies may decide to retire.

Anyone who performs well for us in the next 6 months will get snapped up in the summer.

Shinnie would probably stay, but I can well imagine a bottom half Championship team coming in for him.

Edited by Coconut's Beard

Let the administrators sell the club first before we speculate which players will be transferred out, or if the club buys or loans in any others.

If a new buyer accepts we are relegated, then they, more than likely, would wish to understand the finances of running a Division 1 club and the players that are required to get promotion, say within 2 seasons.

The restrictions are for this season and are better than we have now. I think it’s worth having the discussion on who might stay or go, also who we might sign? Maybe Rooney has his eyes on a couple of out of contact forwards that will come for 10-12k. Look who we got for £4.5

i can see Jozwiak, Bielik and Lawrence going and possibly Shinniesta, Knight 

22 minutes ago, duncanjwitham said:

I *think* so... You only need 7 for a match to be "legal".  It must be very unusual for a team to start a game with 10 men, but have subs they can bring on though.

That would have the EFL jumping up and down with steam emitting from their orifices!!! ? 

Edited by RoyMac5

I'm assuming it's quite straightforward right now. 

Rooney and his team will be sounding out every player right now to see who is up for the fight for this season..as we are not down until we are down.

Then he will want to know who wants to be here if we are in League 1...I'm sure some will be sold in January if they don't fancy league 1 or will be out of contract and we can't re-sign them or we just won't be able to afford.

I'm sure incomings will probably just be loans or players going out of contract that fancy the challenge. 

I hope Rooney wants to take us on in league one as he knows what we have and need.

I expect Marshall gone and hopefully in January 

jagelka has been brilliant and if he wanted to stay he should and he could be very useful in league one as he is fit enough 

Baldock might be ok in league one 

Byrne may well be sold in January 

lawrence definitely should be sold in January ( two years to late) 

Belick and Jozwiak should be sold in January or the summer at the latest 

I wouldn’t keep Richards into next season

i am not sure Davies will want to carry on next season 

Forsyth would stay I think if we wanted him and we should want him 

Shinnie - we would need his type next season 

Knight is a great player but his agent will be telling him to leave as might Buchanan and bird - I would be happy if we kept them

i don’t want to bring in anyone unless we intend to sign them in the summer and I mean centre forwards basically