Social Media - What is it doing to us?

sage

2 hours ago, sage said:

I like Bill Maher and spent $80 on a ticket to see him live, but he's not a very good interviewer.

He's too intent on looking smart and getting people to say what he believes.

More often than not, I tend to agree with him/them, but that's not really what interviewing is about.

Having said that, that was an interesting interview and one that more people should watch.

Nothing I didn't know (or anything anybody who read up on the topic would know) but eloquently put and on the money.

I also like the light from space metaphor.

I think about question than what is social media doing to us,  is what are we allowing to it do to us?

11 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

Social Media is dividing us, simple as that. It is destroying society. Facebook, Twitter don't give a toss. $$$$.

I can't disagree - and it's interesting (although touching on a forbidden topic) but all they are really doing is taking capitalism to a natural conclusion. They have found a way to make more and more $$$ and won't stop because the $$$ is all they care about.

The fact they are destroying society along the way  is just collateral damage

I think more people are getting turned off social media, but not enough of us. A quick look at the comments on Derbyshire Live are enough to make you lose all hope

4 hours ago, Stive Pesley said:

I can't disagree - and it's interesting (although touching on a forbidden topic) but all they are really doing is taking capitalism to a natural conclusion. They have found a way to make more and more $$$ and won't stop because the $$$ is all they care about.

The fact they are destroying society along the way  is just collateral damage

I think more people are getting turned off social media, but not enough of us. A quick look at the comments on Derbyshire Live are enough to make you lose all hope

They are making money out of identity politics which has got that bad a Labour MP had online threats not to attend the Labour Party conference because she said only women have a cervix. If we could get rid of identity politics we could get rid of the online click baiting.

Edited by cstand

I have limited my social media usage now. I've had enough of it, I'll keep an eye on the news and watch TV for entertainment. Mentally I feel so much better because I was addicted to following different accounts and I got lazy at home. I'm more productive than I've ever been. Social media is anti social.

This site is my main social media thing nowadays. I've never really used Twitter but I was active on FB until Covid came along and I got tired of all the alarmist and plain misleading stuff (from both sides of the debate) that people I once respected were sharing and spreading.

I'm struggling to see any benefit that comes from it. I've got loads of "friends" on there that in all honesty, I probably wouldn't stop and talk to on the street. I'm fed up of the "look at me" bragging posts and those angry/sad clickbait ones where they're trying to draw you in to find out "You OK hun?".

19 hours ago, Angry Ram said:

Social Media is dividing us, simple as that. It is destroying society. Facebook, Twitter don't give a toss. $$$$.

It''s not as simple as that, it's an incredibly complex issue and it's polarising Society, not destroying it.

Edited by Bob The Badger
Bunch of random white space deleted

8 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

I'm struggling to see any benefit that comes from it. I've got loads of "friends" on there that in all honesty, I probably wouldn't stop and talk to on the street. I'm fed up of the "look at me" bragging posts and those angry/sad clickbait ones where they're trying to draw you in to find out "You OK hun?".

100% agree mate.

They're a bunch of needy, narcissistic fragile saddos constantly craving the limelight and needing to have their ego stoked by external things outside of their control. It's a recipe for unahppiness and poor mental health.

Does anybody know how I can make this part of my signature?

I'd like it to update every time I get a like so people can see it. @Boycie any chance of you writing some code for me please?

2021-09-29_08-51-21.jpg

Problem with social media posts and even text messages is that can be interpreted totally differently to what the intention is. "Oh, I like that picture!". Can be read back either in a decent or sarcastic voice. I've seen friends argue over something online and it can get quite heated to put it mildly.

4 hours ago, Bob The Badger said:

100% agree mate.

They're a bunch of needy, narcissistic fragile saddos constantly craving the limelight and needing to have their ego stoked by external things outside of their control. It's a recipe for unahppiness and poor mental health.

Does anybody know how I can make this part of my signature?

I'd like it to update every time I get a like so people can see it. @Boycie any chance of you writing some code for me please?

2021-09-29_08-51-21.jpg

As if I ain’t got enough to do.??

On 28/09/2021 at 17:35, cstand said:

They are making money out of identity politics which has got that bad a Labour MP had online threats not to attend the Labour Party conference because she said only women have a cervix. If we could get rid of identity politics we could get rid of the online click baiting.

Keep identity politics BUT limit it to just two identities, decent people and crappy people , the decent people are the ones that usually end up as victims and the crappy ones are usually the ones dishing out misery and violence to the decent ones no matter what banner or ism we put it under ,, just crap people dishing it out to all and sundry