What made today a special day?

Miggins

10 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

I bought some cheese from there last week all nice but if you go back avoid the one with cranberries and oranges in it.  Bleedin awful.

Worst cheese I ever had was Brunost - a Norwegian cheese which basically tasted of caramel. It was unbelievably claaaaaaarty (the more 'a's, the more clarty it is - and 30 years later, I reckon some's still stuck to the top of my mouth now). The first piece seemed ok - in fact, I thought it was excellent - but the second bite just stayed with me. Reminded me of Caramac.

Meeting an old friend and some other pals for a late Sunday lunch today. She's doing her typically awesome roast pork /  nut roast (she's actually vegetarian herself) and crackling, proper gravy and homemade Yorkshires. Usually a Bloody Mary or two for starters. Can't wait! Won't be needing dinner tonight, that's for sure. 

2 hours ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Meeting an old friend and some other pals for a late Sunday lunch today. She's doing her typically awesome roast pork /  nut roast (she's actually vegetarian herself) and crackling, proper gravy and homemade Yorkshires. Usually a Bloody Mary or two for starters. Can't wait! Won't be needing dinner tonight, that'

s for sure. 

It sounds perfect, @86 Hair Islands.  I'm veggie but I love a good nut roast and all the trimmings!

I'm reading a book at the moment by Will Buckingham called 'Hello Stranger' and it deals with how we connect with each other both now and in the distant past. He writes about the importance of sharing meals together and says that the purpose of inviting people to eat with us 'at the hearth' goes back far into ancient times when it was a means by which we strengthened relationships so that we were not isolated and always had someone to guard our backs. The meal is a means to facilitate this 'ritual'. It's a basic human need. Today we just go out with friends for a meal and we don't think any deeper than that, but I find it fascinating how basic this 'ritual' is and how obvious too! A meal with friends holds just the same significance in strengthening friendships today as it did in ancient times. OK. I'll just crawl back under my stone at this point. ?X

2 hours ago, Turk Thrust said:

At my age every day is special if I wake up

When I was working at the garden centre two old guys came in and the conversation was roughly this...

Are you all right, Fred?

Aye! Still above ground!

2 hours ago, Eddie said:

On my way to House Of Beer. Antici..............

It sounds wonderful! One day we'll come and join you! Mr. Miggins was clay pigeon shooting this morning in Belper and didn't get back until 1pm and then had to clean his gun. (He would never shoot anything live.)Also watching the fuel gauge! Maybe next week! You have whetted our appetites!

14 minutes ago, Miggins said:

It sounds wonderful! One day we'll come and join you! Mr. Miggins was clay pigeon shooting this morning in Belper and didn't get back until 1pm and then had to clean his gun. (He would never shoot anything live.)Also watching the fuel gauge! Maybe next week! You have whetted our appetites!

Good man. It's our regular Sunday haunt. 

On 01/10/2021 at 15:42, Eddie said:

Walking into Tesco and discovering that they are now selling La Chouffe - at £2 a bottle.

Edit: and just receiving a message that my latest order of big bottles (including La Chouffe) from Beers Of Europe has shipped, arriving Monday.

I'm chouffing chouffed.

I hope that's pronounced "La Chuff", with an 'allo' allo comedy French accent. 

2 hours ago, Miggins said:

It sounds perfect, @86 Hair Islands.  I'm veggie but I love a good nut roast and all the trimmings!

I'm reading a book at the moment by Will Buckingham called 'Hello Stranger' and it deals with how we connect with each other both now and in the distant past. He writes about the importance of sharing meals together and says that the purpose of inviting people to eat with us 'at the hearth' goes back far into ancient times when it was a means by which we strengthened relationships so that we were not isolated and always had someone to guard our backs. The meal is a means to facilitate this 'ritual'. It's a basic human need. Today we just go out with friends for a meal and we don't think any deeper than that, but I find it fascinating how basic this 'ritual' is and how obvious too! A meal with friends holds just the same significance in strengthening friendships today as it did in ancient times. OK. I'll just crawl back under my stone at this point. ?X

Please don't, all makes perfect sense to me! That's how it's always been for me really, likewise most of my friends. I especially like when we cook for each other, as opposed to just earing out. Good food shared with good friends always makes for good times. I also like cooking for pals too. I find it weirdly therapeutic ?

40 minutes ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Please don't, all makes perfect sense to me! That's how it's always been for me really, likewise most of my friends. I especially like when we cook for each other, as opposed to just earing out. Good food shared with good friends always makes for good times. I also like cooking for pals too. I find it weirdly therapeutic ?

It is very therapeutic and it's a way in which we express affection and appreciation for people we love. When I lived on my own I never hardly cooked for myself. When I went home at the weekends to see my mum and dad I would cook lovely meals for them. I cook lovingly for Steve most nights but if he isn't at home it's a packet of crisps. If  you are on your own it's a huge effort often to cook for yourself. Cooking is something you do for others to show your love and appreciation.

My roast pork today was a disgrace. 

Deviated from my usual method, and followed the James Martin method of blitzing it in a hot oven, then adjusting the temp.

Started off with the oven at 300c, then turned down to 200c for half hour before lowering again to 160c to finish off.

Crackling had the texture of newborn baby, so the lot went in the bin.

15 minutes ago, Rev said:

Deviated from my usual method, and followed the James Martin method of blitzing it in a hot oven, then adjusting the temp.

Started off with the oven at 300c, then turned down to 200c for half hour before lowering again to 160c to finish off.

The meat would’ve been tender.

cur rind off and leave in top of oven at 300 for 30 mins.

Good joint wasted now though!

The horse has bolted.

The pig has flown

The goose is cooked

Now you’re on your own!

Edited by Brammie Steve

43 minutes ago, Rev said:

@Rev!  Perhaps you were a bit hasty there. I'm sure the meat would have been tender and delicious. I'm sure it was far from a disgrace!

1 hour ago, Brammie Steve said:

The meat would’ve been tender.

cur rind off and leave in top of oven at 300 for 30 mins.

Good joint wasted now though!

The horse has bolted.

The pig has flown

The goose is cooked

Now you’re on your own!

34 minutes ago, Miggins said:

@Rev!  Perhaps you were a bit hasty there. I'm sure the meat would have been tender and delicious. I'm sure it was far from a disgrace!

I did keep the meat, which was as bland and tasteless as you'd expect, but the treat for me with Pork is the crackling, smashed into little pieces and served on a side plate normally.

16 hours ago, Rev said:

Argh! That's a kitchen tragedy. Must admit, I do it the same way as the fella you mentioned. Unpack and pat the joint dry ; stand it at room temperature for a good old while; score deeply with a sharp knife and rub in loads of course salt and olive oil; pre-heat oven to v hot, blitz, then cook as per - I like to do it for a fair while on a pretty low heat. 

Incidentally, an easy way to cheat the crackling is to grill it if it fails to crisp up. Cut it off the joint first though, obviously!