Luke Varney

Day

• Replies 786
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Umm.....I think i may have inadvertently dropped a bo***ck! Whilst bored n twitchy, i went round twittering Portsmouth fans informing them that Mister Varney was viewed as quite possibly the worst signing within the whole history of Derby County football club by a vast majority of the fanbase! What started orf as lulzy has ended up getting a touch out of control! Some of their fan-base have taken this "very" seriously indeed!

The deal does appear to have been on hold for the past four days! He was supposed to have been announced as their boy on Friday! What have i done:unsure:

Umm.....I think i may have inadvertently dropped a bo***ck! Whilst bored n twitchy, i went round twittering Portsmouth fans informing them that Mister Varney was viewed as quite possibly the worst signing within the whole history of Derby County football club by a vast majority of the fanbase! What started orf as lulzy has ended up getting a touch out of control! Some of their fan-base have taken this "very" seriously indeed!

The deal does appear to have been on hold for the past four days! He was supposed to have been announced as their boy on Friday! What have i done:unsure:

You complete twit

Or maybe they will finalise it tomorrow as transfers very rarely take place over the weekend?

LUKE Varney's move from Derby County to Portsmouth is expected to be completed early this week.

Pompey last week tabled a bid, believed to be in excess of £750,000, for the 28-year-old forward, who spent last season on loan at Blackpool.

Varney admitted at the end of the season that he would relish the opportunity to rejoin the Seasiders, who were relegated from the Premier League, on a permanent basis.

However, Pompey now seems to be his likely destination.

Varney joined Derby from Charlton Athletic for £1m in January 2009 after an initial loan spell.

The deal was struck by Paul Jewell, the manager at the time, but he left his post shortly afterwards and was replaced by Nigel Clough.

Varney scored on his home debut, against Crystal Palace, but that was his only goal in 15 appearances for the club to date.

http://www.thisisderbyshire.co.uk/Varney-s-Pompey-switch-set-ahead/story-12877166-detail/story.html

Steve Cotterill hailed his double deal as Pompey’s rebuilding continues.

Stephen Henderson and Luke Varney will today be officially unveiled by the Blues after a lengthy pursuit.

Their much-needed arrivals come after David Nugent last night sealed his free transfer to Leicester.

The striker, Pompey’s top scorer last season with 14 goals, completed his anticipated move to the big-spending Foxes in a three-year deal after turning down the offer of a new contract at Fratton Park.

Despite Nugent’s exit, the signings of Varney and Henderson takes the total of Blues arrivals this summer to four as boss Cotterill strives to bolster his meagre squad numbers.

The duo will be swiftly followed by Greg Halford, who is expected to join from Wolves by the end of this week.

Henderson, who was a free agent after leaving Bristol City, yesterday trained with his new team-mates.

Varney, who has arrived in a £750,000 deal from Derby, has yet to link up.

The pair remain in the frame to feature in the opening friendly against the Hawks on Monday night (7.45pm).

And a delighted Cotterill believes his squad is slowly beginning to take shape.

He said: ‘It’s great to get the pair of them. They’re good lads.

‘What they will provide is competition which is what we want all over our squad.

‘All the people we are in for this summer are top, top lads, good players or have good potential.

‘Luke gives us good pace, he gives us a goal, he will score with a header and is a good athlete who works hard.

‘What he can do is play all the striking positions, which is what we need.

‘He can play off the left, he can play up top. We need flexibility and Luke gives that.

‘He scored a couple of great goals last year for Blackpool, so it will be nice if he can rattle in more like them.

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/pompey/pompey-past/great-matches/cotterill_hails_double_swoop_1_2835257

Well yes at the moment unless he shows the early form of last season for Blackpool and fires them to the top of the league. Thats more like our usual luck.

Can only base my view on what I know today. NC doesn't rate him, wouldn't play him, would have to pay him until he became a free agent. From what I've seen I wouldn't be happy to buy him for that price

Archived