Luke Varney

Day

• Replies 786
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks more set to happen now, BBC are reporting it.

Portsmouth are closing in on a deal for Derby County forward Luke Varney, BBC Sport understands.

Varney, who spent last season on loan with Blackpool in the Premier League, is expected to join Pompey for a fee of around £750,000 later this week.

The 28-year-old signed permanently for the Rams in January 2009 but has made just 15 appearances for the club.

Pompey, who recently signed Bournemouth's Jason Pearce, are also linked to Cardiff's Peter Whittingham.

It has been reported that Blues boss Steve Cotterill is keen to make a £1.5m bid for the Bluebirds midfielder.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/13942222.stm

Ever since Portsmouth have been mentioned, I've been confusing them with Sheff Wed (maybe 'cos Varney went there before). And I was thinking it'd be Varney or Lee Grant that scores against us, only I just checked and Grant plays for Burnley now, and then I realised Sheff Wed are in that division Forest, Leeds & Leicester used to be in not long ago, so it wouldn't have happened even if I had the right club, the right player and the right division..... *breathe*.

I wonder if there is a sell on clause with Charlton ?.

You would think that if we were daft enough to allow payment after 5 games or so, they must be a sell on clause in there as well.

Whilst I'm not one to question infinite wisdom, without any mention of a sell on clause you can't just say that its logical. If you think about it I think they would have taken a mil with some add ons after 5 games or so and ran. I'm not sure if they were confident that we'd ever sell him on and at his age he's not exactly going to get drastically more valuable is he.

I'd imagine that Charlton were in a similar position to ourselves now - just wanting rid of him and getting the most they could up front. I doubt we'll be arguing with Portsmouth over a sell-on clause so I'd imagine that Charlton probably didn't either.

Why is there always a hint of condescension when you answer one of my posts.

Are you some superior being from the planet Zog ? .

One thing for sure, Varney is due a hefty wedge for next seasons wages, as far as I know, he has not asked for a move.

Depending on which guessed figure is true he could want a piece of around 600 grand.

Whilst I'm not one to question infinite wisdom, without any mention of a sell on clause you can't just say that its logical. If you think about it I think they would have taken a mil with some add ons after 5 games or so and ran. I'm not sure if they were confident that we'd ever sell him on and at his age he's not exactly going to get drastically more valuable is he.

One thing for sure, Varney is due a hefty wedge for next seasons wages, as far as I know, he has not asked for a move.

Depending on which guessed figure is true he could want a piece of around 600 grand.

I get that on my bathroom windows some mornings.

Archived