Academy Thread 21/22

Shadowplay

50 minutes ago, Ravabeerbelly said:

My thoughts on this :-

Who the hell thought Dylan Williams was a winger?

Why does Hutchinson always play out of position?

Who thought Agatise was first team material?

Foulkes needs to work on his distribution. 

Why has Watson forgotten to pass forwards?

Bardell is a better player than Cashin.

Do you ever make positive posts with regards to the academy or the academy players? ?

Just now, Ghost of Clough said:

Do you ever make positive posts with regards to the academy or the academy players? ?

There are plenty. I’ve regularly sung the praises of many of them but there are some here flying on the coat tails of being homegrown talent without doing enough to earn the recognition. 

Tonight however is particularly poor from many…in fact it’s as bad as I’ve seen the 23s for a long time. 

Just now, Ravabeerbelly said:

Tonight however is particularly poor from many…in fact it’s as bad as I’ve seen the 23s for a long time. 

Yes it does seem that we have no real pattern of play. Although we seem to be trying to emulate the 1st team in keeping possesion by passing backwards and sideways. ?

So I understand now that tonight was a poor performance, with no real pattern of play, where we were often playing too deep, inviting pressure, with a team where half of them were being played out of their natural positions. Thanks for that. No could someone kindly let me know the bloody score?

Edited by i-Ram

To summarise the position of the U23s:

• The goalkeeper we were going to field in the game pulled out in the warmup
  • A number of U23s couldn't be retained in the summer due to EFL restrictions
  • The best of the U23s are in the first team due to not being able to recruit any first team players
  • It was the first game back after a month break over Christmas
  • A number of players are returning from injury
  • The limited number of wingers in the U23 squad are injured

Just adding Tommo, Plange ans Stretton to that team last night would have resulted in a win. We also have Wilson and Sibley who would have played if not injured.

Just now, Ghost of Clough said:

• The best of the U23s are in the first team due to not being able to recruit any first team players

Just adding Tommo, Plange ans Stretton to that team last night would have resulted in a win. We also have Wilson and Sibley who would have played if not injured.

It is a good reminder Ghost, but we were pretty aimless most of the game. #COYYR

11 minutes ago, Crewton said:

Been on a good run though hadn't we? 

Hopefully we'll have enough to stay up. 

6 match unbeaten run (4 in the league) prior to last night.

Just need to avoid bottom 2 - currently tied with Leeds on points, but with a better GD and 2 games in hand. We play Leeds next Tuesday.
Interestingly, we have the 5th best defence in the League, having only conceded 6 more than table topping West Ham.

30 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

6 match unbeaten run (4 in the league) prior to last night.

Just need to avoid bottom 2 - currently tied with Leeds on points, but with a better GD and 2 games in hand. We play Leeds next Tuesday.
Interestingly, we have the 5th best defence in the League, having only conceded 6 more than table topping West Ham.

Hopefully there'd be one or two players from the first team squad able to strengthen them for a game or two around the two blank Saturdays we've got coming up.

On 11/01/2022 at 09:31, Ghost of Clough said:

You sound like the Reading manager!! Hope it's not 0-7 next time out...:-)

Posted something similar in the Preferred Bidder thread but maybe more relevant here....

With no "imminent" purchase of the club, my fear is that the Administrators will start cutting costs.

Clearly that will include selling first team players for peanuts.

My fear is that it may mean job losses amongst the Academy Staff - including Wassall, Lyons and the coaches.

Please god, no.  They are the shining light that will / could get us out of this in the future.